All things StarFox/StarWing/Lylat Wars

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

All things StarFox/StarWing/Lylat Wars

Post by James »

Issue 94 will be recorded this week, and we'll be discussing Nintendo's confusingly-titled anthropomorphic Top Gun simulator (can you tell I haven't played it yet?), Star Fox. Or is that StarFox? Or Star Wing? Or StarWing?

Focus will be on the original SNES game, Star Fox, and the N64's Star Fox 64 (Star Wing and Lylat Wars, respectively), but the entire series is up for discussion.

Any and all comments, opinions and experiences on the Star Fox games should be posted here. As usual, we'll be including forum posts in the podcast, but we may avoid those involving escapades as furries for reasons both legal and fearful. ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: This week's podcast: The StarFox/StarWing saga

Post by ratsoalbion »

Let's not get bogged down in the minutiae of the nomenclature. Actually, who am I kidding? Let's!
So the original, proper and correct Japanese name is Starfox (stylised as StarFox). The Americanised version is Star Fox while in Europe of course it's Starwing (stylised as StarWing).

On the more interesting subject of the games themselves - and the forthcoming podcast - we'd very much like to to hear from people not only who played the core SNES or N64 titles, but also the following.

StarFox 2
The all-but completed yet never released SNES sequel, widely available through emulation.

StarFox Adventures
The Rare developed Gamecube game that began life as N64 title Dinosaur Planet.

StarFox Assault
Namco's Gamecube entry in the series.

StarFox Command
Q-Games' DS entry in the series.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Lylat Wars is a terrible name. Was it the first rumble pack game?, I bought it and it had a giant box with the rumble in the middle of it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes it was, over here anyway.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Star Fox 64 is terrible. Lylat Wars, on the other hand, is an amazing game that is perfect in every way and can never be matched. The fact that it was the first game I ever owned and that I am required by state, federal and UN laws to only say good things about it is irrelevant. It's simply the best.

At the very least, they never made a Starfox game as good as it since then; only played the SNES original once, so I can't really speak to it. Adventures isn't a Starfox game. It's good, it just isn't a Starfox game; and would have almost certainly been better as Dinosaur Planet.

Assault is decent, especially as the first Starfox game that's actually a Starfox game to have come out in years, and has some neat ideas, though it suffers some very serious design flaws that seemed to come hand-in-hand with trying to make it a big, epic space fantasy adventure. Also it suffers that problem a lot of games in successful franchises do, where it borrows ideas for setpieces, enemies and bosses virtually wholesale from the most beloved entry in the series and hopes that no one will criticise it because the callback or reference tickles their nostalgia.

And Command is…weird. I kind of liked it; I mainly wish it had more recognisably Starfox gameplay (read: flying a ship and shooting things), or at least that the Starfox gameplay it had wasn't entirely all-range mode. I remember thinking the strategy stuff was interesting, but it, too, felt like a different game that got lumped in with a more guaranteed-to-sell franchise; and it, too, had a stupid story. More stupid than Assault, even, by way of having nine different snippets of Starfox fanfictions as different endings for the game, with none singled out as the "true" ending. Like I said, weird.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Lylat wars is a really fantastic game, I remember getting it for christmas with my N64 back in in... 1997? I was only very young so I wasn't much good but I really liked it.

I've never touched starfox command, but I remember enjoying assault at the time of playing, although in that same time I also enjoyed shadow the hedgehog, so maybe my tastes weren't refined.
Starfox command was also a really good DS game, although it had the weird tactical elements? Still a lot of great shooting to be had, and a vaguely fun multiplayer mode.
Starfox 3D is also great, reminds me of the remake of mario 64 on the original DS in terms of quality.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Roy42 wrote:Star Fox 64 is terrible. Lylat Wars, on the other hand, is an amazing game that is perfect in every way and can never be matched. The fact that it was the first game I ever owned and that I am required by state, federal and UN laws to only say good things about it is irrelevant. It's simply the best.
I thought Deadly Premonition was the best? :P
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

"This generation" he said for DP.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Deadly Premonition is the best, but it's not perfect. Consequently, Lylat Wars is perfect, but it's not the best.

…Don't think too hard about that one, I certainly didn't.

Games are great, you guys. I like games.
jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater »

I came to starfox on the Snes by powers of persuasion. Long story short: I swapped my copy of captain planet in return for it with a classmate. Oddly, his suspicions were not aroused by the amount of praise I was giving a game that I was so ready to part with.

Anyway, I had, I played it, and I loved it. I used to watch my friend playing Star Wars Rebel Assault on his pc and this was the closest that I could get to that type of game at the time.

I enjoyed the way the game looked and the way it played. Weaving in and out of the various structures, under the arches, and all the while shooting enemies as you did felt so intuitive and sharp. I played through it countless times, usually coinciding with watching a star wars film and having the urge to try to reenact the dog fight scenes.

All in all a great game. I have never returned to the original game for fear of ruining my memory of it so I couldn't comment on how it holds up to this day or whether the route to, and destruction of, the end boss polygon face monster is as hard as I recall.

I went on to play through both starfox 64 and Starfox adventures, both of which I have very fond memories of but neither of which I had the same leel of affection for as the original.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

jbtheskater wrote:I swapped my copy captain planet in return for it with a classmate. Oddly, his suspicions were not aroused by the amount of praise I was giving a game that I was so ready to part with.
:lol:

Great stuff, thanks.
Keep those memories coming please forumistas.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My favourite part was always the battles against Star Wolf. In fact I think my favourite bits in Lylat Wars were the free range sections. The multiplayer was great and was probably the most played after Goldeneye/Mario Kart 64.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just checked out the original on YouTube. That has not aged well visually but still looks like it plays great. At the time it looked incredible!, was it the first Super FX game?. Think it was.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes the chip was developed for the game I believe.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I was always surprised starwing never ended up on the VC. Was there any reason for it?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Super FX chip. Same for Yoshi's Island and Stunt Race FX.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote:The Super FX chip. Same for Yoshi's Island and Stunt Race FX.
Which is annoying as they're all fantastic.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, and unofficial emulators can do it.

Perhaps they'll bring them to Wii U VC.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Oh starfox memories. I played through command while we were rehearsing for a school play. I had a literally 1 minute part, but it meant I got to skip lessons. I remember someone telling me it was an ace combat rip off? And I didn't know what he meant cos I'd never or even heard of ace combat, and had never even owned a non nintendo console till I was 15/
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Falco used to wind me up in Lylat Wars I would gun him down so I didn't have to listen to him be annoying. He's worse than poor old Slippy!.