The Wonderful 101

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

The Wonderful 101

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've just pre-ordered my copy.

Who else is getting set for some crazy Kamiya/PlatinumGames style action?
Combine Hunter

Re: The Wonderful 101

Post by Combine Hunter »

You know I'm all over this
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yup yup, any Platinum Games' gets my interest and this looks so different to the rest of their output that I just have to check it out.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

That eurogamer review says everything I want to here.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, I've only played the first few levels of a loan copy from Nintendo's PR, but it was enough to know that I wanted to own the game beyond the 7 days I have it for, hence stumping up £32 on a ShopTo order.

It's not 'perfect' - the game can be a little fiddly, confusing and frustrating at times - but there's such joie de vivre on show that you want to get past that point and immediately star getting those Pure Platinums.

Wonderful 101 looks and feels very much like a spiritual successor to Viewtiful Joe to me (although the gameplay is obviously very different), and that's a good thing in my book.

GameSpot: 8/10
VideoGamer: 8/10
Digital Spy: 4/5
IGN: 7.4

I imagine it'll be getting a 4/5 on BT Games too.
James

Post by James »

Been looking forward to this since it was announced. The only problem is the giant backlog that Dark Souls has given me; still got The Last Of Us, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Ni No Kuni, Dead Space 3, Castlevania: SotN, Super Metroid, Gone Home, Monaco... I could go on forever. I'm undecided as to whether I should pick this up on Friday or wait for a price drop. :?:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Your backlog is piffling next to mine and I've ordered it regardless :)
Jonster

Post by Jonster »

I'm 50/50 on picking this up at launch or waiting until I've at least completed something else. My backlog is somewhere between 50 and 75 games (I think actually counting them will scare me), and I have a habit of playing games with no end.

I tried the demo, and while a bit confusing initially I did find it good fun. Plus: Platinum Games. It would be rude not to (eventually at least).
James

Post by James »

ratsoalbion wrote:Your backlog is piffling next to mine and I've ordered it regardless :)
After a quick check on my spreadsheet, I have around 150 games in my backlog. It's ridiculous!

Nevertheless, thanks for tempting me into buying it. :twisted:
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

143 games in my backlog...:(
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Somewhere around 500 at this point.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Is it a competition? ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A depressing one if so.
I think Roy's total might even 'beat' mine - but given he's 20 years younger he's probably got longer to sort it out (but also to accrue more games).
:)
James

Post by James »

Well, hello there, 6+ year-old thread!
Turns out the Platinum teases were not empty, and The Wonderful 101 is being Kickstarted for Switch, with stretch goals for Steam and PS4 versions. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... remastered)

At this point the stretch goals for both Steam and PS4 look likely to be met, and there are further goals for (I think) DLC that haven't been revealed yet.

It seems a weird move, to be honest, since less than a month ago it was announced that Tencent had invested in Platinum in order to support a venture into self publishing. I dunno if this Kickstarter is just to guarantee that it's worth spinning up physical media production, or what, but it's sure to raise some eyebrows that P* turned to crowd funding after investment from the biggest company in gaming.

Also, the estimated delivery date is April 2020, so this sure feels like a port that has already been done. Maybe Kickstarter is just a handy way to take pre-orders for a company that don't have any experience publishing (yet).

It's currently £28 for a digital copy and £31 for a physical copy (excl. postage), which seems fair to me, so I didn't have any qualms about pledging. If you're feeling particularly tempted, though, the reward tiers go all the way up to £3852 for the "Pure Platinum" edition, including all sorts of extras. Only 7 of those available though, so get a move on before they all go!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

It says in their FAQ that this project is not connected to the investment from Tencent. That is meant for other projects, which I expect they're not able to use for this.

I can see the port having been done/mostly done already, with this campaign just helping them give the final push. Also the goals for the non-Switch platforms are much higher, so perhaps that Switch version was more or less done already, and this is mostly meant for funding those other versions which don't yet exist. But including the Switch version lets them aim for a low bar for success.
James

Post by James »

Ah, hadn't seen that. Sounds like they've anticipated this particular raised eyebrow, at least.

However it came to be, I was happy to pay for a physical version. I know Kickstarter can be a minefield of over-promised, under-delivered, poorly-scoped and severely-delayed projects, but this is (at least on the surface) a clearly-defined port of a previously-proven and completed game.

Famous last words.
James

Post by James »

Steam version stretch goal now reached ($250,000).
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I backed it for a physical switch copy!

I love how one of the stretch goals includes being blocked by Kamiya on twitter.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Nice, I still have this one to play on Wii U. This thread reminded me :)