PC Gaming Tech Advice

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Combine Hunter

PC Gaming Tech Advice

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'm looking to upgrade my PC. It can run modern games perfectly fine, but with the next gen around the corner, I want to future proof it. My current specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Is that enough info?

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on how to upgrade. But I don't want an insanely expensive graphics card, just a really good one. You know what I mean. Any help would be much appreciated.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: PC Gaming Tech Advice

Post by ratsoalbion »

Probably double or treble your RAM for a start. I've got 8GB but I'm thinking of adding another 4.

I went big on my graphics card with a GeForce GTX 680, but I bet you can get something great for less than the £300+ I spent on that bad boy.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

I'd say just increase the RAM for now, it's a fairly decent spec already, no point trying to stay ahead of the game imo that'll just hurt your wallet, just upgrade as and when, my system is nowhere near that spec and it still runs anything I throw at it.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Thanks guys. I will upgrade my Ram then.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

If you don't have one I'd recommend putting your OS on an SSD too, not going to make games run any better, but my PC does load up and close down now lightning fast. You can get a 120 gb now for £65.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also I've found that having my main hard drive as an SSD makes a huge difference to everything I do thanks to ludicrous read/write speeds.
James

Post by James »

ratsoalbion wrote:Also I've found that having my main hard drive as an SSD makes a huge difference to everything I do thanks to ludicrous read/write speeds.
And you can stick/move games you play often (or want to run a bit quicker) onto the SSD whilst leaving the majority on a larger HDD.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

You've got a very similar setup to my PC. I upgraded my RAM to 12GB (2 x 4GB sticks was £40 last year)
My weak link was the GTX 460 graphics card, which I upgraded to and ATI 7870 a couple of weeks ago (£180). Runs BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider maxed out on Ultra :-)

I would have gone for an SSD but not sure I can be bothered with the hastle of reloading everything!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Also I've found that having my main hard drive as an SSD makes a huge difference to everything I do thanks to ludicrous read/write speeds.
SSD write speeds aren't that astoundingly superior to a 7200rpm drive like their read speeds are. Better, yes, but not on the same level.

As for "future proofing", Josh: Don't. It's never, ever worth it. Getting some more RAM is dirt-cheap these days anyway, so that's fine (but don't go for 12GB; you only need 8), as would be getting a small SSD for your OS and a couple of games you play practically all the time, but apart from that, don't waste the money on parts that will be far cheaper when they actually make enough of a difference.
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

From that I'd say yeah, just some RAM is required mate. How big is your hard drive and how much room have you got left on it? I only ask because the hard drive market is starting to close up a little, so while things are dirt cheap currently, there is a potential that some companies will start getting ahead of the pack, meaning they'll charge more. You can pick up a 1TB HDD for a low price, so maybe worth looking at that too.

I don't agree per say, that its not worth future proofing. I think people really panic over this idea that PC components are out dated as soon as you get them out of the box. I spent just over £1000 on my PC last January, and it is still chewing up games and spitting them out that are released today. Yes, it is a lot of money to spend on a PC (money left in a will) but It is future proofed in the right places, so that in the next 3-5 years, I only really need to get an SSD, and maybe a second graphics card. That will maybe set me back, around £300 tops. So for £1300 I've got a pc that will probably last me the next 5-8 years easily.

You don't strike me as a graphics whore, or someone who has to stay ahead of the tech, and neither am I, so if you want to give your graphics a bump up too, there is no reason why you can't. I can recommend a couple, but entirely your decision. I will say that most big companies are looking at the 'next-gen' stuff for PC's i.e there will likely be a new wave of tech coming soon, so, if you're happy with what you've got now, I'd give it another year, because you'll get a very decent PC today, next year, for probably half the price :)
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I have no idea when it comes to PC specs so can anyone tell me if i can run Hotline Miami or FTL on this?

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer eMachines
Model eME728
Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 285 GB
Disk partition (C:) 94 GB Free (285 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Total available graphics memory 1308 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1244 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1892
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Cursory glance tells me that you'll be fine for either of those two games. I'd look into getting an external hard drive, regardless of anything else, also.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Neither are very demanding on 3D graphics, so like Roy says you should be okay. Mind you, I have a dedicated gaming rig and somehow Hotline Miami hangs every time on start up for me. Ruddy computers!!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Any game that's poorly made or poorly optimised can run badly, regardless of the hardware. That's part of why Binding of Isaac is so terrible and Flash should never be used as a videogame platform.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Had a bit of problem last night, went to fire up the PC and nothing happens. If I unplug and replug in the power cord, the power light flashes for a second then stays off. I've opened up the PC and at the same time the fan starts to spin but only for a half a second or so then stops. I'm guessing my PSU has died, but does anyone know if that's likely or if it sounds like something else?
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

If there's no beeping (that could signify failed RAM or something similar) then PSU is a good place to start fault finding.

Do you have a multimeter? It is probably the easiest way to work out if the PSU has died without having to spend out on a new one:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofth ... imeter.htm

Also, double check that connections are all still in firmly, especially the main one to the mother board :)
Probably also worth checking the RAM is correctly seated by taking it out and placing it back in just in case.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Thanks Joe, I haven't got a multimeter but will give everything a check. I'm pretty sure all the connections are ok though.

Oh and it doesnt beep at all.
Beck

Post by Beck »

You can try running on one ram stick to rule that out. It sounds like psu / motherboard to me.