Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Xbox One

Post by dezm0nd »

Polygon seem to get a lot of shit and sometimes I can see why but regardless of your opinion of the site, they're doing a live stream for 12 hours. Worth a watch!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/19/51224 ... at-noon-et
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Killer Instinct will have a decent tournament scene for at least the first year because MS (and MadCatz) will almost certainly be throwing money to sponsor tournaments that agree to run it.

It's how the fighting game tournament scene works.

Once the publisher doesn't want to throw our sponsorship cash, then games only stay in the tournament circuit if they have a lot of fans (which is why Street Fighter 4 continues to get major tournament playtime, but Street Fighter X Tekken doesn't, for example).
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Great interview between Boogie/Francis and Major Nelson.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

dezm0nd wrote:Had a bit of a nightmare with ShopTo this week. The whole fiasco of charging people for their PS4's without warning wasn't a problem for me (Mr MoneyBags I aint) but they accidently bundled in Zelda: Link Between Worlds in with the PS4 box!

After 30 minutes of being on hold to a premium rate number and some shoddy customer service, I cancelled well over 25 pre-orders with them and went elsewhere. I've yet to see how The Game Collection are but they've despatched both Zelda and Tearaway in a very similar fashion to how people remember ShopTo being.
Yeah I noticed that on Twitter, pretty bloody stupid really. Where's the sense in bundling a game that's out this week, with a console out next week? And bad customer service is the icing on the cake.
They kind of pissed me off last year when my card had a problem on their site, for no reason. When I changed it, it got funny with me (their website is a bit dodgy with changes), and then downgraded me from Gold to Silver. Not used them since.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Been pretty lucky with ShopTo so far but that can always change. I'm getting both my Xbox One and PlayStation 4 from them as I don't have many options available to me from local retailers (I used to have 3 GAME stores nearby; I now have none). I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I used to love ShopTo but their customer service, service and prices are now no longer than the opposition.

It's a shame, they really were outstanding about 5 years ago.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If you're worried about delivery I'd ask all the premier league footballers on Twitter where they bought theirs from as they seem to have got them early? ;)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Boogie2988 has surprised me a whole lot recently. I always used to think he was just the guy who had a pathetically histrionic overreaction to Diablo 3. But then I saw him on the Co-optional Podcast, and he was great there. Also found out the Diablo thing was just a character he plays. And now he's had an interview with Major Nelson sitting right next to him in his own house! That's quite a drastic change of impression.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah I think he seems like a good guy, a smart guy, who sometimes plays a painfully accurate - perhaps too convincing - obnoxious character Francis.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Quick Look over at Giant Bomb of Ryse. Sure is pretty! Not interested in a killroom game, though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, I was hoping for something more like the Dynasty Warriors games where there's some freedom of movement around the battlefield.

I'm now imagining what Dynasty Warriors 9 is going to be like on the PS4/XBO... mmmm....
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Yeah, he's clearly quite educated and speaks very eloquently. Usually there is some meaning to his rants. He's not blind to the fact that people will listen to some fat guy with a lisp throwing a strop more than they would him just speaking into the microphone.

He's done well for himself. Congratulations to him.

On another note, Major Nelson had always come across as a really nice guy and yet I've never seen anyone come in for the level of abuse he does on Twitter. It's a shame, he actually does a good job (and works hard!)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I don't really know what to think about Major Nelson. He seems nice enough, but sometimes he comes across as a little shilly. Not massively, and not all the time, but on occasions it does feel like what he's doing is very much contrived PR for a mega-corporation that doesn't really care about you. But just as a person he seems alright, and I imagine he has to try really hard at that with all the abuse he gets.

On another note...
Spoiler: show
Yisss.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Huzzah! I also have courier mails and texts saying that mine is en route for tomorrow as promised.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Oh boy, oh boy oh boy. Genuinely giddy for games this week! Have fun with your Onesies and let us know how it goes! :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I like 'Onesies' so much better than fuckin' 'Xbone' :lol:
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Ha, "Onesie". That's a good one.

I was wondering about something earlier today though. As it turns out, just as some people have joked about, you can actually play a PS4 through an XB1, because of the HDMI in. So I was thinking, does that mean you will be able to use the XB1 as a live streaming machine for anything you could plug in to it? Not just the PS4, but the Wii U and the 7th gen consoles too. Maybe even older stuff if you can get the right cables. You can get cables to transfer scart to HDMI, right? Would that work? That would be pretty cool, using an XB1 to stream a PS2 game on Twitch or something.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Just got my email. Been bricking it all day! Now, relax..............a little.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I've been messing around and chatting with Tony for over 3 hours tonight and have yet to play a game.

Absolutely blown away thus far. That operating system is very slick. Crystal clear voice chat, Skype is excellent, headset comfortable and Kinect is wonderful so far and truly feels like a part of the experience!
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Karl, you clearly didn't get the memo that we're all supposed to hate the Xbox One, especially Kinect. ;)

Seriously though, glad to hear you're enjoying it. Mine should hopefully be arriving at some point today. I'm honestly more excited about this system than I am the PS4.