The 20 Best Games Of Edge's Lifetime

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndyKurosaki

Re: The 20 Best Games Of Edge's Lifetime

Post by AndyKurosaki »

FF9 was pretty good, for me it's the last one I enjoyed. 10 was boring, and they've got worse ever since. I tried 13, really dragged on. Can't say I'm bothered about the series anymore.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

ratsoalbion wrote:I much prefer Galaxy 1 to Galaxy 2
Can I ask what about Galaxy 1 you liked better? I have been meaning to revisit it because I absolutely loved Galaxy 2. The first time I played Galaxy 1, it didn't really keep my interest.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

NokkonWud wrote:I do wish I could *get* The Last of Us. It's not my most disappointing game of the year (Grid 2), but it's not far off. I was expecting something special. I do need to go back though. I'll start again of course.
I enjoyed The Last of Us, but I didn't feel that it lived up to the expectations that I had set for it. I realize the problem was with myself, though. I am entirely sick and tired of zombie movies, games, books, etc... and sometimes I forget that other people don't feel the same way. So when I heard how much people were loving The Last of Us, I assumed it was something really special. Something that really broke the mold. I mean, for me at least, it takes a lot for a zombie game to garnish any affection.

It was good, but not the revolution in storytelling I thought it would be. Especially coming out of BioShock Infinite.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

InsrtCoins wrote:
Can I ask what about Galaxy 1 you liked better? I have been meaning to revisit it because I absolutely loved Galaxy 2. The first time I played Galaxy 1, it didn't really keep my interest.
A number of factors I think, all of them subjective. Firstly there was the impact of the first game, coming five years after the (for me) massive disappointment that was Sunshine, and almost a decade after Super Mario 64 (which I loved and still do); second time around the Galaxy concepts on show just couldn't be as fresh or exciting - even though the sequel did have a wide and wonderful array of new ideas and level designs.

I also felt that some of the (perfectly sensible) changes that Nintendo made to make the game more accessible - including shrinking the hub-world and lightening the colour of the skies - diluted and diminished the spectacle and majesty somewhat. I enjoyed the first soundtrack more too.

I think Galaxy 2 is quite wonderful, I should emphasise. I played 60 hours of the first (getting all 242 stars in the process) and 50-55 of the 2nd with quite a few Luigi stars still to get.

I can't wait to return to them for the podcast :)
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I know it's a few pages back, but Majora's Mask is my favourite 3D Zelda as well. I didn't get to play it until after I'd played Windwaker and OoT. It's a bit of a weird game for reasons I won't go into because of spoilers, but that reason is something I wish games would look into more.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

InsrtCoins wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:I do wish I could *get* The Last of Us. It's not my most disappointing game of the year (Grid 2), but it's not far off. I was expecting something special. I do need to go back though. I'll start again of course.
I enjoyed The Last of Us, but I didn't feel that it lived up to the expectations that I had set for it. I realize the problem was with myself, though. I am entirely sick and tired of zombie movies, games, books, etc... and sometimes I forget that other people don't feel the same way. So when I heard how much people were loving The Last of Us, I assumed it was something really special. Something that really broke the mold. I mean, for me at least, it takes a lot for a zombie game to garnish any affection.

It was good, but not the revolution in storytelling I thought it would be. Especially coming out of BioShock Infinite.
I agree with you, some of it is my thoughts on the game and what I'd built it up to be, but I also had issues with core design mechanics. If you're going to have a strong Stealth element to the game, don't abandon it in favour of must fight sections for example, especially when the combat is actually pretty weak. That became so draining for me. I will replay it though, from the start, now that I've given it a break. I may love it the second time!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

For the record, I rate the main series Final Fantasy games that I've played in this order: 12, 6, 7, 4, 9, 10, 5, 8, 13.

But my favourite JRPG is still Xenogears. No-one makes them quite like that anymore...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The lack of pokemon game on that list makes it invalid :D No but seriously, agree with some bits of it, not all of it. I think majoras mask plays better than ocarina of time, though neither are bad, and I think GTA 3 has been surpassed, although that could be said of all the games on that list. Other than that, not a bad list. Reads like what you'd expect really.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

12 seems to be perhaps the most Marmitey, which is entirely understandable given how many changes it made to the established FF format. I barely touched my copy in the end. Hoping for an HD remake some day.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

12 had the balls to change things up a bit, experiment with the formula and move the JRPG on from a basic game design everyone had been sticking with since the 90's.

The Japanese hated it, so we got 13 as a knee-jerk reaction.

Yay.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

FF12 is probably the first game I can remember being really disappointed by. I guess I should have known better though, but I was just a stupid idiot kid at the time. The whole idea of the battle system still seems utterly stupid to me, though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The most common criticism is 'it plays itself!' and it kind of does... at first. After a couple of hours you have to really think about how you construct the 'auto play' rules for the characters in order to not get flattened in the boss battles. It's pretty much the only Final Fantasy where you need to actually use the spells that cause status ailments, for example.

Maybe the whole 'programming the party member's AI' aspect just appeals to me so much because that was basically my day job at the time :)

Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread now...
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So allow me to keep derailing it XD,FF 12 is my favorite JRPG other than the Persona3&4 and the main Final fantasy game I got closest to finnish it maybe as someone who likes the classic JRPG formula the battle system in 12 is bad but I really loved it,you actually had to think with strategy to get a good party going and despite what pople say about playing itself it's the system I felt the most agency over unlike many of the classic games whcih I felt all I had to do was grind and that was it,there's actually a cool interview where the developers explain the logic behind the system amongst other things

also this is the FF game that has the leading man :D
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

ratsoalbion wrote:
InsrtCoins wrote:
A number of factors I think, all of them subjective. Firstly there was the impact of the first game, coming five years after the (for me) massive disappointment that was Sunshine, and almost a decade after Super Mario 64 (which I loved and still do); second time around the Galaxy concepts on show just couldn't be as fresh or exciting - even though the sequel did have a wide and wonderful array of new ideas and level designs.

I also felt that some of the (perfectly sensible) changes that Nintendo made to make the game more accessible - including shrinking the hub-world and lightening the colour of the skies - diluted and diminished the spectacle and majesty somewhat. I enjoyed the first soundtrack more too.

I think Galaxy 2 is quite wonderful, I should emphasise. I played 60 hours of the first (getting all 242 stars in the process) and 50-55 of the 2nd with quite a few Luigi stars still to get.

I can't wait to return to them for the podcast :)
That's fair. For me, there were more levels in Galaxy 1 that made me say "I sure hope I don't have to do that again" than in Galaxy 2. I do absolutely need to revisit it, though.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

ratsoalbion wrote:I don't believe that the follow ups are "better" than the originals.
That's a pretty sweeping statement; what makes you take that opinion?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I mean that saying something "is better than" something else implies an objectivity when these are only ever our subjective opinions. Relating specifically to Galaxy/Galaxy 2 and Ocarina/Wind Waker, in each case I personally prefer the former to the latter, but I'm not saying that my personal picks "are better than" their successors either.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I preferred the levels in Galaxy 1 no doubt, but I much preferred the map based progression in the sequel over the (3D Mario) traditional hub based level selection of the original game.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Scrustle wrote:.... Like Goldeneye. I never owned it myself, but I did play a bit of Goldeneye back in the day. Seemed alright, but nothing completely amazing. And whenever you see people take a look at it in a modern light, they often say it's aged terribly. It certainly looks as if it has. Maybe the reputation it's gained for having amazing MP was just because people are nostalgic for hanging out with their friends as kids and playing together....
when people cite Goldeneye as the best game every, I often bite my tongue.
I was a pc gamer at the time, and goldeneye even at the time, to me looks a way behind what I was up to on pc, but that's another argument for another day.
Essentially I think you've hit the nail on the head with the nostalgia thing.

It's been said many a time before on this forum, Top x games from Y are nothing more than click bait and someones personal, and often rather self important list of things they want people to agree with.
resident evil 4 over resident evil?
where was unreal tournament?
FTL? spelunky? minecraft? monkey island? day of the tentacle? tetris? system shock? tomb raider? mario kart (snes version mind..)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Again, I feel compelled to point out that this poll is the result of a free and open vote and therefore (normally I hate this phrase but) 'it is what it is'. No-one person or self-elected jury has chosen to omit the games you mention, they just didn't get enough people wanting them in.