Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Toffer

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Toffer »

Billy Talents latest album, Dead Silence. Got tickets to see them on Sunday so looking forward to that :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Bought this today, I really enjoyed the first album and the fact the second had one of my favourite Skyrim tracks made it an instabuy. Not listened to it all yet but Still Alive, Icarus and Skyrim are stand outs but I'm a little disappointed in the 2nd half of the Mass Effect 3 track. An end once and for all is a brilliant piece of music in the OST and its nowhere near as powerful enough here.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

In the absolute mess which is my music listening cycle I've been playing pretty much these albums back to back lately:

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Mulatu Astatke - Ethiopiques 4: Ethio Jazz & Musique Instrumentale
Brian Wilson - SMiLE
GZA - Liquid Swords
Reggie & The Full Effect - Greatest Hit's '84-'87 (Lord Of The Bling Trilogy)
Explosions In The Sky - How Strange, Innocence
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

Saw Billy Talent last night at the Roundhouse in London. Twas bloody epic.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

PressEscToExit wrote:
I've had Devin Townsend on all day. Pretty sure "Numbered!" (0:22 - 5:16) is the perfect heavy metal pop song. It's exactly what I needed today :)
We have another Devin Townsend fan here! Excellent taste, sir.

Haven't been listening to music much recently but I guess the latest thing I spent a significant length of time listening to it was Scar Symmetry.

Also been listening to bit of Gorillaz too. I guess they're the closest thing I have to a guilty pleasure.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Christmas songs on MTV! :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been listening to the new How To Destroy Angels EP over the last few days. In case anyone doesn't know, HTDA is a band Trent Reznor started with his wife, and Atticus Ross. Their first self-titled EP was absolutely amazing, one of the best things I'd heard for ages, and I was really excited about the new one.

Then I listened to it.

My face went from excitement to disappointment in about a minute. I really didn't like it. However, it's grown on me, a lot. I think I made the mistake of approaching it as a new Nine Inch Nails record, which it isn't at all. Really, nothing like it. It's pretty minimal, quite dubby, and in some parts has an almost Eastern sound (the plucked instruments on the track, Ice Age, in particular).

Anyway, it's good.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I am literally the most excited I've been in months!! New NIN album leaked a week early!!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm so old that I bought Pretty Hate Machine while it was still new to the album charts :oops:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Alex79uk wrote:I am literally the most excited I've been in months!! New NIN album leaked a week early!!
I'll be exactly the same when How to steal a jetfighter gets leaked early from some anon Prodigy source! Love it when that happens.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

ratsoalbion wrote:I'm so old that I bought Pretty Hate Machine while it was still new to the album charts :oops:
Ha ha. Me too
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha I'm not quite that old but I bought The Downward Spiral on release day.

:lol:
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

I've started and then subsequently become addicted to Halestorm. No idea why. Love the lyrics and the beat for nearly all their songs. Excellent stuff.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Increasingly so over the past few months, I have been absolutely enamored with Arjen Anthony Lucassen's 2012 album Lost in the New Real. It is extraordinarily difficult to describe, but I will do my best.

Mr. Lucassen is a virtuoso singer, musician, and songwriter. He plays almost every instrument on all of his albums. He has been the lead member of many bands and musical projects, most famously the long running progressive rock / prog metal Ayreon. The album is a progressive rock concept album about a man who has been cryogenically frozen and awoken many years in the future. The album is about this character reporting what he's seeing in the new world back to his psychologist / cryogenics technician. Each song is about an event that has happened in the time he has been frozen or something new that has emerged in society. Topics like population control, natural disasters, internet law enforcement...

What I like most about the album is that it is so musically diverse. Song to song, Lucassen switches up genre and tone, giving the album a huge range without ever feeling like it is jarringly schizophrenic. Lucassen obviously grew up listening to a lot of The Beatles, David Bowie, heavy metal, Pink Floyd, and Rush, and his expertise of all types of music comes together to create a layered and intricate album. It always feels like there is something new to discover.

It's not for everyone, and it took me a little while to warm up to it, but the more I listen to it, the more I am amazed by how complex and awesome it is. It has quickly become my "desert island CD".
Beck

Post by Beck »

I'm currently on the way back to Aberdeen from Manchester after seeing soundgarden last night. Five hours to go:o

What a gig. Soundgarden sound great on cd but that doesn't compare to seeing them live. The energy they gave off last night was immense. They've still got it:grin:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The new Pearl Jam and Godspeed You! Black Emperor albums are both great.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Going to see Black Sabbath tonight, fair to say i'm excited :) First metal gig ever for me, and I'm taking Sarah with me. Hopefully we won't stick out too much :lol:
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Currently listening to the same Xmas CD at work, an hour long, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. For nearly 3 weeks. Fuck Slade. Fuck Wizzard. Fuck motherfucking, repetiitive, braindead bastard Xmas songs.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Was in a shop the other week (won't say where...) and it was clear that they were all hating the Christmas CD they had on. The boss left while I was there browsing, and after a check to make sure it was all clear they switched it out for something less festive, and the customers all cheered :)