The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by Scrustle »

Well it looks to be more of a Dynasty Warriors game than a God of War/MGR type of game. There's the name obviously, and the fact that Tecmo Koei are working on it. Plus, the crowds of monsters too.

Looks like it might be set even earlier in the timeline from Skyward Sword. The lore behind that game talks of a war that took place which resulted in Demise being sealed in his prison and Skyloft being broken away from the land below. And in the Hyrule Historia there is a manga that takes place during this war. In that Link's outfit is almost identical to the one he's wearing in that trailer. Only difference is that in the manga, his scarf is red.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Quite a bit happened at this Nintendo Direct! Hyrule Warriors, for one. Also, deep breath...

There's also a new Mario Kart and Donkey Kong trailer but that's more than enough Nintendo for one post!
James

Post by James »

Scrustle wrote:Well it looks to be more of a Dynasty Warriors game than a God of War/MGR type of game. There's the name obviously, and the fact that Tecmo Koei are working on it. Plus, the crowds of monsters too.
True, but I had only the games I have played at my referential discretion. Oddly, this trailer makes me want to play a Dynasty Warriors game. Any suggestions as to a good starting point for the DW series?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:
Scrustle wrote:Well it looks to be more of a Dynasty Warriors game than a God of War/MGR type of game. There's the name obviously, and the fact that Tecmo Koei are working on it. Plus, the crowds of monsters too.
True, but I had only the games I have played at my referential discretion. Oddly, this trailer makes me want to play a Dynasty Warriors game. Any suggestions as to a good starting point for the DW series?
No idea, to be honest. The only game of that genre I've played a significant amount of is Ninety Nine Nights. I enjoyed that at the time, but I doubt it holds up now. I hear the latest Dynasty Warriors is pretty good though. I think that's Dynasty Warriors 8. But I've also heard it has problems running on 360, so if you want to pick it up I'd go for the PS3 version instead, if you can.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

As resident Dynasty Warriors fanboy, I'd say if you want a good one to play first start with Dynasty Warriors 7.

It's cheaper than 8, and also not quite so crazy complicated. Avoid 6, it was an experiment that didn't really work out. On PS2 era hardware, 5 is the one to get.

Also, avoid any of the ones with 'Empires' or 'Strikeforce' in the name, those are spin-offs that trade off the storyline stuff for a more complex strategy game mode, but they're really only for dedicated fans as they're not very approachable.

(My absolute favourite is Warriors Orochi 3, but only because of it's crazy crossover storyline, and that isn't half as much fun if you're not familiar with the normal Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors plots)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Quite enjoy the Dynasty series as well, the spin-offs are usually quite fun too. Put 40 hours in to the first Fist Of The North Star and Platinumed it. The first One Piece Musuo is also brilliant.
hazeredmist

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm now a 3DS XL owner :) and also utterly friendless. My code is 4141-3447-2734 please do add me!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sure, it's a two way thing though. You need to add me too (or in fact anyone that tries to add you).

Here's mine: 5412-9884-2673
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ah thanks for that. Adding now.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

My 3DS Friend Code is: 0361-7756-7303

Add me and let me know (preferably via Twitter.)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Interesting piece on Eurogamer this morning with an anonymous third party explaining the challenges of developing for the WiiU.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Interesting. I had no idea there were aspects of the Wii U hardware that were actually behind the 360/PS3. Makes me wonder about Bayonetta 2. From what we've seen, it looks better than the first game, but you can never truly tell until you play it yourself. But with all the trouble that these 3rd party studios are having, it makes me wonder how well a small studio like Platinum can manage with the system. I suppose they have experience with The Wonderful 101, that runs at a smooth 60fps I believe, but visually Bayonetta is something on a completely different scale.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

In Platinum's case, both games are funded by Nintendo so those games are going to be flawless when it comes to technical performance. Send in the SAS programmers to fix the stuff!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Money? Games? What a boring mix but that question is open again. To buy or to wait, at £180 there's nothing but time to stop me (and maybe that itchy feeling that a better bundle is waiting about for me). I might hang tight to see if an official statement is forthcoming but the systems so close to joining the family that it's unbearable. Anybody else thinking of jumping on the next wave of the Wii U?

Edit. The wait is over! :D (now to find deals on 3d world, pikmin 3 and W101)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

For any irish people ( and maybe UK people I haven't looked) tesco have some brilliant 3DS games for cheap right now including

5 euro - fire emblem, donkey kong country returns, paper mario, mario tennis, kid icarus, pokemon black 2/white 2, pokemon mystery dungeon, nintendogs
2 euro - mario sonic at the olympics 2012
1 euro - street fighter, all the professor layton games.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Them's crazy prices! :o
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Very interesting opinion piece on CVG about the current state of Nintendo:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/44 ... nt-itself/

Makes a few points I've been thinking for a while around the topic of them not moving with the times, and the graph of it's console sales since the NES (Wii excluded) is quite a shocking one. I can't disagree that something fairly radical has to change for Nintendo to still be around as a platform holder in even the next 5 years, which is terrifying (a world without Nintendo consoles is not a world in which I want to live!).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

On the same subject but with a different view this is also worth reading: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2014/01/nintendo-mobile/
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

A really interesting piece that and I agree with the vast majority of it. The recent calls for Nintendo to go mobile really do not make any sense to me. While there would be short term gains from flogging Mario to iPhone users for a fiver I believe it would also result in irrepairable damage to the overall perceived value of Nintendo's properties to consumers.

Outside of hardcore gamers, the general public won't pay £250+ for a console and £40+ a game when in their eyes they can play Nintendo products on their tablet or smartphone for a fraction of the cost. It really would be the beginning of the end.

People are definitely underestimating Nintendo's ability to come up with a game changing piece of tech that puts them right back to where they were, taking money hand over fist, but I do however think they have a software problem. Aside from supporting the core franchises they have too long neglected the evolution of tastes in the modern gamer, hardcore and casual alike. As the CVG article noted, it has largely ignored many of the genres that today are the core pillars of the industry in favour of delivering iterations of it's own decades old franchises. As a long time fan I'm not unhappy with that, but great as they are these games don't seem enough in isolation to pull in the masses any more, and unless something changes they could be in real trouble.....
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Got a sealed(with the original cardboard box) copy of heartgold for 5 euro, plsy my staff discount. Made up I am.