Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NokkonWud

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by NokkonWud »

Bully would be great to talk about.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I'd love to see some Saturn games covered, as despite it's comparative lack of sales success that console played host to some of my favourite games in my long history as a gamer. The games I'd absolutely love to get the C&R treatment are:
- Nights Into Dreams (the XBLA re-release just doesn't control right somehow though! Needs the original 3D controller!)
- The Panzer Dragoon series, covering both on-rails shooters, the incredible PD Saga, and the excellent Xbox revival PD Orta.

I remember you saying to me way back when I first joined the forum Leon that not many of gang owned Saturns, but any chance at all?! (if it's a 'no' just lie to me so that I can live in hope.... :roll: )
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I still have my treasured Saturn and I would also love to cover some Saturn stuff, but I think some of those titles are a tough sell to the team as a whole, even if they were to play via emulation.

A NiGHTs into dreams... podcast seems likely at some point though, especially now that it can be played on recent formats. Guardian Heroes would be amazing too.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Yes Guardian Heroes would also be a lovely one. Playing through the XBLA release recently with a friend reminded me quite how wonderful that game is. So much deeper than your average side scrolling brawler!

Fingers firmly crossed!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I loved my Saturn. It came in for such a rough ride due to launch price but some of those memories. Magic.
aidopotato

Post by aidopotato »

OK, apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere in the 30-odd preceding pages, but I'd like to hear a podcast on Final Fantasy XII.

I know, I know, I know, everyone has their own faves and you probably have a 'NO F**KING FINAL FANTASY' policy, but hear me out.

I loved FFVII, but it's been analysed to death at this stage (the same's probably true of VIII and X too). XII, on the other hand, I consider to be an unjustly overlooked gem. The story isn't any great shakes, admittedly, but I think the setting, character design and above all the many genuine innovations it brought to the series (the genre as a whole, in fact) mark it out as something special. It breaks my heart to think that because the game didn't perform as well at retail as some of the earlier iterations, many of these innovations were just thrown away or forgotten about (I'm talking here mostly about the semi-automatic real-time combat and gambit system), and the series entries since seem to have been very conservative by comparison.

I understand you'll probably have good reasons for not covering it, but just thought I'd rep-ra-zent
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We certainly don't have a no FF policy, but it is a difficult series to tackle for a great number of reasons.
We've not ruled anything in or out, it's just a matter of deciding how, in what way and when we can do it.

Consider your passionate representation of XII logged :)
Cass

Post by Cass »

I might have missed this if you've done it already, but I'd listen the hell out of a Silent Hill episode. If only because I'm a sadist.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Silent Hill games are on the big list to be tackled some day, fortune willing.
flameboy

Post by flameboy »

My one big request would be Amnesia Dark Descent (apologies if it has already been covered) The sound design when wearing headphones is the greatest ever. I've never played a game that makes me feel like vomiting until I played this. Some tedious puzzles aside this game is one of the best games I've played this year! (LTTP)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

flameboy wrote:My one big request would be Amnesia Dark Descent (apologies if it has already been covered) The sound design when wearing headphones is the greatest ever. I've never played a game that makes me feel like vomiting until I played this. Some tedious puzzles aside this game is one of the best games I've played this year! (LTTP)
It's on the list - but most of us are too scared to complete it :o :oops: ;)
flameboy

Post by flameboy »

ratsoalbion wrote:
flameboy wrote:My one big request would be Amnesia Dark Descent (apologies if it has already been covered) The sound design when wearing headphones is the greatest ever. I've never played a game that makes me feel like vomiting until I played this. Some tedious puzzles aside this game is one of the best games I've played this year! (LTTP)
It's on the list - but most of us are too scared to complete it :o :oops: ;)
Rightfully so I'd say! It definitely has it's moments from someone who doesn't usually get scared of such games.
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

Obvious submission, however Monkey Island and the Broken Sword games would make for great shows.

The latter of which would be a glorious opportunity to reference the loathed goat puzzle and incite the inevitable Pavlovian response of disgust/fury among the listeners.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I'd like to see the Jak and Daxter series covered. I'd not played them until recently and found them enjoyable.

Also Tearaway would be nice :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Tearaway is extremely likely. Jak & Daxter trilogy could happen though the long length of games 2 and 3 is slightly offputting!
Beck

Post by Beck »

I did think that might be the case with the jak games :)
James

Post by James »

FollowMyRuin wrote:Obvious submission, however Monkey Island and the Broken Sword games would make for great shows.

The latter of which would be a glorious opportunity to reference the loathed goat puzzle and incite the inevitable Pavlovian response of disgust/fury among the listeners.
Both Monkey Island and Broken Sword are on the grand list. Sadly (or not as the case may be), I only played Broken Sword in the Director's Cut variant. If not for the reputation of The Goat Puzzle (I love that it has its own Wikipedia page) I'd not have thought it particularly difficult at all thanks to the simplifications made in the update.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

What exactly is this elusive list? And how many games are on it? It must be full of enough games to do years worth of podcasts by now, let alone the length of time it would take to simply play the games themselves.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle wrote:What exactly is this elusive list? And how many games are on it? It must be full of enough games to do years worth of podcasts by now, let alone the length of time it would take to simply play the games themselves.
It's just that; a list of all the games that the team want to cover, plus various suggestions we've received here as well as on Twitter and elsewhere. Every few months Tony and I get together and thrash out which we're going to actually record based on a whole raft of criteria to do with availability, time, variety, topicality and a host of other considerations.

Currently the list has around 270 games and game series' on it. So yes, enough to last us several years as it is, but it's always being added to of course.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Wow, that's a lot of games! How many that are on the list right now do you realistically think you'll ever be able to get around to? And I was also wondering if you guys were getting any closer to deciding on what the last lot of episodes for Volume 3 will be too.