The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's still brilliant.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I just wish they'd go back and redo the localisation like they did for the PSP release of Final Fantasy Tactics. There's some really awful stuff in FF7 that wouldn't take much to fix. (although I do miss the line 'Die in Obscurity!' from the original FFT)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Woo currently #1 in the world on OlliOlli's daily grind!!

:D
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I've considered getting up at 5am, and putting a score in on olliolli, just to crack that top ten!
I was playing a lot over the weekend, to see if I can unlock "rad" mode, I'm about two thirds of the way there, but man, the pro level challenges are getting really tricky!
Managed to get a decent score in on the daily grind last night and got #12 ranking!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I was bloody first on the Daily Grind on Sunday with about half an hour to go when someone beat it >_<

Managing top ten on each course though so far! Loving this game so much, but I wish you could set up friends leaderboards. Its the perfect high score game.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Instabuy price was hit today and the system is on its way. Hope you guys were right about it... :S
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Instabuy price was hit today and the system is on its way. Hope you guys were right about it... :S
It's all been an elaborate troll! The Vita is a hideous mess and is exceeded in the category of ill-advised, unspeakably awful consoles only by the Barcode Battler.
Beck

Post by Beck »

ha ha can't believe you fell for it; )
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Right then. Tearaway approx £11.60 in a weeks time, having that.

Unknowingly cross bought Spelunky, Hotline Miami and Lone Survivor last week.. cashback!

Glut of PS Plus games including retroactively anticipated Gravity Rush and SFxT.. check. What's missing (besides my long standing yet now mysteriously absent lack of enthusiasm for the system)?
Beck

Post by Beck »

Tearaway is a joy to play, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would also recommend the jak and daxter games.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Persona 4 Golden should be played by anyone who owns a Vita! Expensive but worth it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There's a new Jeff Minter game out today for the Vita!

mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jak 1-3 covered by PS plus (strange but redundant info: PS3 versions have no time stamp and will never expire), really need to try the second and third.

Persona 4 Golden? Worth the double dip? Completed p4 on ps2 about 3 years ago.

Edit. Was about to post about TxK, was going to say it looks like a minter game (and it is :oops:).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Awesome!! I love Jeff Minter games! Funny day to release though. Usually Wednesdays isn't it?

Also, Mike, grab Guacamelee it's brilliant and still free on PS+ I think.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Did anyone else get TxK? Just about to give it a go.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes! It's a lot like Tempest 2000/Tempest X3, which is a good thing in my book!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm I spent a bit of time with it last night, it's Space Giraffe!? It's like exactly the same only slightly simplified. There's no 'billing' aspect to the game play but other than that I'm struggling to see a difference. Now I loved Space Giraffe and to have it on Vita is great, but I can't help feeling a little cheated that it's so similar. It looks the same, controls the same, has the same play style, even as far as jumping back above the play line to kill enemies that have already reached you. It just seems odd to me that he'd release something that actually doesn't really differ from one of his previous games whatsoever.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well Space Giraffe was a significant twist on the Tempest formula, whereas TxK is a slightly purer form of Tempest update.

This is closer to a remix of Tempest 2000 which Minter made as an update on the Atari arcade original for the Jaguar console more than a decade before Space Giraffe.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I'm ashamed to say that despite a gaming career spanning at least 25 of my 31 years, I've never played Tempest or any iteration of it on any platform. Always wanted to, but just never got round to it! Will have to give this new effort a go.....

Game recommendation for you Mike (albeit a very obvious one) - Uncharted! I've been really enjoying it and it's got great use of some of the Vita's lesser used hardware features like the camera, rear touch pad and gyroscope. I also still haven't got over the childish thrill of playing what feels and looks like a AAA home console game on a handheld! Sad but true.....
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Grabbed TXK last night, absolutely hooked. Pretty much the perfect arcade blaster!

Remember when people said the Vita was shit and had no games? :lol: