Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndyKurosaki

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Pretty much glued to Front Mission 3 on my Vita, I bloody loved the game back in '99, and it's stood the test of time.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I really must go back to that and play out the other storyline one day.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Finally decided to play Resi 6 after giving up on chapter 2 on Jake and Sherrys campaign each time as I can't figure out how to get a key card. Leons campaign is alright, Chris's similar I think the nemesis knock off in Jake's is putting me off it. It's no doubt me being crap but I've seen that kill screen about 20 times and it's getting beyond tedious. Anyway to wiki!

Going to start Metro Last Light too ready for the show.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Dabbling in Guild Wars 2 and Dota 2, both of which I'm terrible at and yet still managing to have a good time, so huzzah for that.

Started Pokemon White 2 but finding it hard to play a new pokemon game without the excitement of new Pokemon, plus I think I've been spoiled rather massively by the graphics of X and Y. Slow going.

And then there's Final Fantasy X, which I'm being bowled over by all over again. I remembered this game's story as being so much worse than it was, but there's a lot of stuff I'm appreciating now that I'm a little older, Tidus' character being one. I think he's probably most remembered as being the point at which FF protagonists began to suck, but he's really quite a good character, all told. I think his voice work has a lot to do with that negative impression, but his arc - developing the emotional maturity to forgive his father's flaws and see him as a human being - is surprisingly touching. Say what you will about FF characters being unreasonably young, but Tidus' daddy issues are pretty spot on for a 17-year-old boy with a macho, emotional cripple sports star father.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don't dislike 10, but it was where they started down the linearity road that lead to 13.

I just wish more of the FF's were like 12.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Flabyo wrote:I really must go back to that and play out the other storyline one day.
from what I can remember (I played through both sides back in the day), there's not a huge difference, mainly some allies are enemies and vice versa.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Flabyo wrote:I don't dislike 10, but it was where they started down the linearity road that lead to 13.

Me too,FFX was the first proper FF I played and I got to Sin before I quit I thougth about picking up the HD version but the bad memories came rushing back,maybe my opinion will have change if I play it again but I still hate Tidus I just find him super boring and it's NOT his story it's Yuna's story c'mon,the combat in that game also drove me mad I remember some of the boss fights with blue hair pope and Yunalesca being terrible with you having to rely on luck most times so your entire party wouldnt be petrified or aflicted with something that would destroy you.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

More Project Sylpheed. Got to the part that I stopped playing last time. It's still just as bullshit as it ever was. An absolutely ludicrous difficulty spike. Never seen anything like it in any other game. What makes it even more stupid is that the mission just before it was the easiest and quickest one so far, by a huge margin too. But here, I'm supposed to defend a lone, stranded command vessel against endless waves of fighters. Usually there are way more allies, so the battle is more even. Here it's all focused right on this single ship that's just a sitting duck, with only me and a few wingmen to defend it. It's absurd. Doesn't matter what I've tried, it's always a failure. Sticking by the ship, or going out to meet fighters, commanding wingmen to stay close or break off, all futile. It's ridiculous.

Also doesn't help that the only walkthrough on the entire internet, that I'm aware of at least, just says something along the lines of "shoot them down". No details at all, treating it like just another fight that's unremarkable from anything else seen so far. No advice given at all. Ugh. I was actually enjoying it so far too. Way more than I was expecting to.

But I did remember today another similarity with all these sci-fi space games. Both Strike Suit Zero and Zone of the Enders have soundtracks that feature vaguely Middle Eastern sounding female vocals. Strangely specific similarity, I thought. Maybe ZoE was one of the biggest influences on the game, instead of just using similar ideas because of the setting.

Also been playing Skyrim quite a lot lately. Been playing my sneaky character. A Wood Elf. I started doing some of the Dawnguard stuff with him and choose to take the vampire path. It's pretty cool being a Vampire Lord. They have some cool skills and are actually really useful in combat. That was a nice surprise since I've found being a werewolf on my other profile to be a bit shitty. Since that's my powerful warrior character, being in werewolf form I'm actually quite a lot weaker, especially since you can't use items or normal spells in that form. Also you can only turn in to a werewolf once a day, while you can turn in to a Vampire Lord as often as you want. Makes it way more convenient. Well, apart from the whole "burning in the sunlight" thing. That hasn't been a problem so far though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hooray finally got beyond chapter 2 with Jake on Resi 6. The combat's pretty awful but the story's quite intriguing. Should I dabble with the other campaigns or is it advisable to stick to one at a time. I've noticed that Ada's available from ghe start now too.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Flabyo wrote:I don't dislike 10, but it was where they started down the linearity road that lead to 13.

I'm longing for the HD Remaster of 12. People criticise the FF formula for getting stale, but 12 tried so many new things and was just generally an exciting and beautiful game.

I'd take a second look todinho re: FFX, since I had the same lukewarm memories of it (the Tidus/Yuna laughing scene still haunts my dreams) but I've found it actually improved with age.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I've been playing with the build of my PC and making sure it's all running well. Part of that was buying Titanfall as I no longer have an Xbox One and it is really quite a lot of fun!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Metroid prime. I love it, but I forgot what its like to not have autosaves and automatic checkpoints.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Ha ha I did the same when I replayed it about a year ago.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I was gonna say it seems a lot easier back when I first played it. But I first played when I was 12 or so, so maybe I wasn't much good at games back then./
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Started a new game on Skyward Sword, although I should probably focus on Majora's Mask, but whatever. Decided to time how fast this one gets going too, since I had way more of a problem with the slow start in this game than in Twilight Princess. I was surprised to find the game actually gets going way faster. About an hour until you win the bird race and stuff starts happening, and another half hour until you get down to the surface. Then another hour doing that bloody Kikwi stuff. I guess I had such a problem with it before because what is there is dragged out so tediously. The tutorials are super dumbed down, and text scrolls extremely slowly. Fi of course never misses a chance to explain everything in the most overly long-winded and redundant way too.

I also really don't like the Kikwis either. They don't really feel "right" as a Zelda race to me. There's something about their visual design which doesn't seem right to me, and there's the fact that they have that annoyingly "cute" persona where they repeat stupid words, and that they're constantly terrified of everything. Doesn't seem like something Nintendo would come up with. It's like they're some annoying furry sidekick out of a terrible generic anime.

I guess I'm having a better time with the game than I was my first time through at this stage though.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Dark Souls 2 on PC is dreamy smooth. Oh my!

NES Remix 2 is better than the 1st. I am really enjoying it.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Dark souls 2!!!!!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Fecking boost ball :x 'throws wii controller at tv'
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ah, good ole Metroid :D
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've been playing some Hitman Go. Very stylish and interesting mechanic. Hoping for a bit more variety later, but still in the early stages at the moment.