Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Katieee120

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Katieee120 »

Just today I've started playing Rachet & Clank again. That game was one of the best. Definitely one of the best from my childhood. :)
Beck

Post by Beck »

I bought battlefield 4 for the ps4. So far I'm really enjoying it. The look and feel of the game is better than expected and I haven't had much negative bugs. I have had some really cool kills, taking out a helicopter with a randomly fired rocket was funny.

I'm not so keen on the gun unlock system though. I'm not sure if it's the starter guns are rubbish or if it's me but the lack of options is infuriating. It feels like I'm being punished for being new to the game. For example I finally unlocked a medium ranged rifle for the engineer but the scope is so shit that it removes the ability to hit enemies from medium range. I'm now trying to get kills with this gun to unlock a use able scope but it's tough going.

I understand the reason for gun unlocks, having all the weapons at the start would be overwhelming. However having virtually no customisation options is a backwards step. I can't remember the gun system in BF3 being so disconnected.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Been quite a bit in the last few days,started my RE marathon with RE1 and played it until the first snake fight I decided to put it on beginner because I thought I would be rusty but after playing it awhile I really regret it because now I have enough ammo to kill anything that moves and save points to waste,but despite it's age the game still holds up IMO nut im not looking foward to the part im gonna have to start dodging hunters.

I also picked up the Dragonfall DLC/Campaign for shadowrun returns,yeah the original campaign left me wanting especially with how quick and predictable the story was and how linear it was for a Crpg still it was fun and the setting itself was worth it so im willing to give Neo Berlin a try,from what I played of this new part I feel it's more of the same but it's ok if it manages to wrap up it's story better than the first one I'll be happy.

And lastly yesterday I was at a friend of mine for a party and in the end there everyone decided to play Kirby's return to Dreamland making this the first Kirby game I ever played and we got pretty far into it until his Wii died on us,It was pretty fun while it lasted though the game was super easy but given we were playing 4-player co-op and everybody was drunk trying to kill each other it was a miracle we got as far as we did.Cool game but probably not something I'd play on my own.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

EA UFC on Playstation 4.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Beck wrote:I bought battlefield 4 for the ps4. So far I'm really enjoying it. The look and feel of the game is better than expected and I haven't had much negative bugs. I have had some really cool kills, taking out a helicopter with a randomly fired rocket was funny.

I'm not so keen on the gun unlock system though. I'm not sure if it's the starter guns are rubbish or if it's me but the lack of options is infuriating. It feels like I'm being punished for being new to the game. For example I finally unlocked a medium ranged rifle for the engineer but the scope is so shit that it removes the ability to hit enemies from medium range. I'm now trying to get kills with this gun to unlock a use able scope but it's tough going.

I understand the reason for gun unlocks, having all the weapons at the start would be overwhelming. However having virtually no customisation options is a backwards step. I can't remember the gun system in BF3 being so disconnected.
Many of the best guns are available at the start or after very little levelling of the class. The one gun you have to go out of your way for is the AWS and it requires an assignment to be completed from the Naval Strike DLC, but that gun is completely amazing!
Beck

Post by Beck »

NokkonWud wrote:
Beck wrote:I bought battlefield 4 for the ps4. So far I'm really enjoying it. The look and feel of the game is better than expected and I haven't had much negative bugs. I have had some really cool kills, taking out a helicopter with a randomly fired rocket was funny.

Many of the best guns are available at the start or after very little levelling of the class. The one gun you have to go out of your way for is the AWS and it requires an assignment to be completed from the Naval Strike DLC, but that gun is completely amazing!
So it's just me then? ;)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Beck wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:

So it's just me then? ;)
Not really, it just depends on which gun you're trying to use. I found the U-100 MK5, AK 5C and SCAR-H really good and I believe all 3 are available at the very start, or nearly the start.
The weapons I like to be used are easy to tell: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/so ... 20264/ps4/ :)
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

It feels like ages since I last posted here, I guess it wasn't that long ago really. Anyway, currently I have a few games on the go and I guess I'm looking to see which home game and which portable title stick through until completion. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. U and Final Fantasy X HD.

As it stands the two which are really hooking me are the two Zelda's. It's quite odd, before this year I've liked the idea of Zelda games but it was rare that any title in the series other than the original would capture my attention beyond a couple of hours but since A Link Between World that doesn't seem to be the case. I find myself wanting to play through the timeline in order now (well, up until Ocarina I guess where it's divergent).
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I wouldn't bother paying much attention to the timeline of Zelda. It's very arbitrary. Except for direct sequels, none of the Zelda games really have any story connection to each other. Playing them all in the "official" order doesn't really add anything to the experience. The order of the games was only made up relatively recently too. It's not like it was something that was planned out. It's just something Nintendo threw together because fans demanded it. Just play whatever Zelda games look appealing. Even the ones that are direct sequels don't really require you to have played the previous games. None of them focus on a complex story that require you to know any kind of overarching narrative, because that doesn't really exist. Plus, The Four Swords is really inconvenient to play. You need four people who each have a GBA and a GBA-to-Gamecube cable.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

And as expected, after finishing Watch_Dogs I'm back to just playing Hearthstone and Titanfall in the evenings.

Oh, and a bit of Nuclear Throne (Vlambeer's one that's in early access) cause I got a Steam key for it at the Radius Festival and it's pretty fun.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Scrustle wrote:I wouldn't bother paying much attention to the timeline of Zelda. It's very arbitrary. Except for direct sequels, none of the Zelda games really have any story connection to each other.
I know, it's more of an excuse to play the games in a different way and see what (if anything I get out of it). Rather than playing in the order they were released or what features interest me the most I just opted to a pseudo play order based on what Nintendo now say is cannon - not for any serious story based reason but just to try it that way (a way most people would not have). All that said it does feel like the Minish Cap intro references parts of Skyward Sword, though I have not completed SS yet so I don't know if it goes on the contradict it in any way (I expect so). As for Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, I believe that Four Swords: Anniversary Edition has a single player way to experience unlike its original and Four Swords Adventures has a single player mode too. Not sure if those two titles will hold my attention but I'll try.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I really liked Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube but I played it in co-op with a friend. I think three or four players could have made it even more fun.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Never heard of the Anniversary Edition of Four Swords before. I never played either of those games. I never really thought of them as having much of a story, even for Zelda games. Do they actually play out like a normal game in the series, but just with MP? I always thought they mostly ditched the story so they could turn it in to more of a focused puzzle game, instead of a big adventure, because that's what you would need to do for co-op.

I suppose playing through the series according to the timeline just for the sake of it sounds like it might be an interesting way to play the series too. Although I've never really got on with the top-down games. I don't think I'd personally enjoy forcing myself through the original and Adventure of Link for example.

A lot of the Zelda games seem to have vague connections to each other, but I think they're not intentional. Like there are some things you could connect between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess if you really push it. But a lot of them talk about non-specific ancient prophecies and the like, so they can be linked pretty easily that way too. So I don't think that any resemblance between Minish Cap and Skyward Sword are really official. MC came out way before SS, and it wasn't even made by Nintendo, so I highly doubt those connections were supposed to be there.

That's not to say it's not fun to speculate about all this stuff. That's what started the questions about the timeline in the first place. But I think I liked the idea of it just being a hypothetical fan theory more than it being something set in stone that Nintendo officially state themselves. It's like a little mystery to work out, and it's fun to imagine that coincidental similarities between games actually have some significance behind it. Suspending disbelief and pretending there was a plan right from the beginning. But now Nintendo kind of destroyed that by coming out with the "real" version, which was very obviously something made up after the fact.

I suppose we could go back to speculating again after enough new Zelda games come out, and Nintendo decides not to officially update the timeline to say where they go. Let the fans make it up for themselves.
sonuckles

Post by sonuckles »

Sorry to change the subject, though Zelda Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures are both fantastic games.

Lately I've been playing Saints Row IV. I was expecting more of the poo cannon shenanigans (it should be noted that I actually did work on Saints Row 2 back in the day, but I had nothing to do with said septic cannon), but was surprised that the game actually is really cohesive. I'm loving being able to bound about the city like a tiny lady-hulk (I made my player character look like my fiancée).

This does raise a question, though. What is a good game where you have the flight superpower? If not the ability to fly, then how about the ability to glide?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Street Fighter 2 Championship Rainbow Edition.

Was weird seeing this after listening to the show today. It was in an old Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet so the button lay out wasn't ideal (I've posted a pic on twitter @richspurs24).

The music was loud which was great but at the speed it was running at I was ok till I ran into Ryu.

Also played (AND SET THE DAYS HIGH SCORE!!!) on an original Pacman machine. Fantastic nostalgia trip. Hopefully I'll have time to pop back to the arcade as they had centipede and a few other classics.
Beck

Post by Beck »

NokkonWud wrote: Not really, it just depends on which gun you're trying to use. I found the U-100 MK5, AK 5C and SCAR-H really good and I believe all 3 are available at the very start, or nearly the start.
The weapons I like to be used are easy to tell: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/so ... 20264/ps4/ :)
Thanks Nokkon, I'll give those guns a blast. :)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Was kind of enjoying the Battlefield Hardline beta on PS4 despite Battlefield not really being my cup of tea; I prefer the selfish meathead fix that Call of Duty provides when I'm in that kind of mood! However, having finally caught up with the latest Burnout podcast, I was inspired to charge up my PSP and dig out Burnout Legends. I enjoyed an hour with it, but the fantastic visuals I remembered from the time, whilst still impressive for a PSP, haven't aged well, with all the detail in the foreground blending into a confusing mess further back. This makes the driving too immediate and reactive to be enjoyable now we're spoilt by high-powered modern day alternatives, even on mobile.

My PSP odyssey then continued with Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce. I didn't remember ever playing this, but now I remember why! I enjoy mashing up a vast death toll on the traditional versions as much as the next man, but grinding through the same missions over and over again to level up a character enough to get into the action isn't happening. I might spend dozens of hours doing that in a decent RPG, but this isn't that, especially now my Activision Remixed UMD has caught my eye.

And so onto Burnout Paradise to play along with the next Burnout podcast. I've been looking for an excuse to get into that PS Plus freebie for ages! At least once my proxy PS3 finally decides it can actually obtain my IP address if it tries really hard!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Still going through RE1 went the round 2 with the snake unfortunally the beginner mode makes the game a cake walk but it's too late to change now.

Also Shovel Knight unlocked for kickstarter backers yesterday at 11:00 pm my time I installed it and kept playing it until 4:00am if this doesnt speak of it's quality I dont know what will,this ended up really surpassing my expectations I thought it would be just a nice megaman type game(and it is)but there's enough novelty features here to make this stand on it's own just the amount of extra stuff to find including bosses(there were 5 opitional bosses so far)is staggering and you can see every part of the game was made with care this has much more soul than many "retro" games out there it looks like an old game and it plays like one(it plays well I mean like Megaman X you pick up and imediatly get it)but it feels new.

So yeah you gotta a Shovel as a weapon and you can use it to dig up treasure,hit enemies and hop on things like in ducktales!One thing I was dreading was the plataforming and even though it has it's challenges it's nothing impossible for me it also helps that you have no lives so you can die as many times as you want,what you do have is gold and every time you die you lose a bunch of gold so you have to run back to where you died and get it back dark souls style!With this gold you can buy relics(but you have to find the merchant hidden in every level too) that are like subweapons that use magic,shovel upgrades,different armors and health/magic upgrades. And yeah the levels and bosses are all pretty awesome it has all of the good things you would expect from a megaman game and just one of the downside,knockback which can make a few sections a nightmare but you can buy a armor that cancels knockback so that can be avoided,also I didnt make the dark souls comparisons earlier lightly the game really borrows from dark souls when it comes to some normal enemies that are really hard to hit because they guard so you have to be on your toes.

So yeah im loving Shovel Knight so far if you have a passing interest in megaman/dark souls type games get this when you can because I assure you'll not be dissapointed!

PS:The music is fucking great as well!
Beck

Post by Beck »

I bought the walking dead season 2 on the vita and really wish I hadn't. What a fucking shambles. That's 3 games that have all suffered from the crazy drop in frame rate at the quick time events. It completely ruins any immersion when you have to repeatedly bash the same input for it to register.

The worst bit is the reviews barely touch on it. I'm done with Telltale until they sort their engine out. It was cute to begin with but now it just seems lazy.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Resogun. It's still absolutely amazing.