Resogun

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Resogun

Post by ratsoalbion »

All right so it's based on a 33 year old arcade game and doesn't on first glance look especially next-gen, but as a huge fan of This Sort Of Thing I am really looking forward to playing Resogun.

The game reminds me, unsurprisingly enough, of Amiga-era Defender updates like StarRay and DataStorm (which again seems appropriate given that the same people made the most famous and technically impressive Asteroids tribute for Amiga - and later PS3/PSP/Vita), and in my world that's a very good thing indeed.

Anyway, Giant Bomb have done a 30 minute Quick Look which you can find here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-l ... 2300-8206/
dezm0nd

Re: Resogun

Post by dezm0nd »

Oooh, sign me up! I am awful at these kinda games but that won't stop me from playing it on day one with PS+! :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The online leaderboards await us Dr Gargles.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It actually reminds me a bit of Jetpac Refuelled which I was alright at. I will hone my peripheral shooting vision and get saving those little green dudes!

Looks good, getting flashbacks of Geo Wars on 360 day one (which I was also rubbish at)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

This was always a day one purchase for me so I was surprised when Sony bumped it to PS+ alongside DriveClub (which was then obviously delayed.) Very excited as a fan of both Geometry Wars and Super Stardust HD, and the many others from generations before.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Totally getting this, the fact that it's free on Plus makes it a no-brainer. Loved Stardust, so I've high hopes for this.
Dr Mcfluffin

Post by Dr Mcfluffin »

Another shmup for me to be shit at. I really like the look of the Shatter-esque bosses! The fact that it's on plus means everyone (almost) will be playing it, which bodes well for hugh score battling. So excited for PS4 :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

One thing to be aware of, if you're watching video footage of this on YouTube you're losing out on the fact it runs at a rock solid 60fps in 1080p.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Comprehensive update for this out now ahead of this week's Heroes dlc add-on.

Housemarque appear to have improved a lot of stuff particularly in terms of visuals and clarity for the player, as well as adding a new control method, improved high-score browsing (it looks like the tables have been reset by the way) and a create-a-ship mode (with associated Trophies).
:D
Fixes & Changes

Compare your current score live against friends/global/your best score
Ship Editor and custom ships added
Local co-op now works differently, score, multiplier, lives and items are shared
Leaderboards reset
Added Hero Hall of Fame
Added 3D ship preview in menus
Updated leaderboard layout
Added support for moving and shooting with directional buttons and action buttons
Gameplay tweaks
New weapons balance
Added 11 new trophies
Fixed a rare case where the Humanist trophy would not unlock
Fixed an issue where an incorrect flag would be shown in the leaderboards
Fixed other minor stuff we forgot to write down
Leaderboards now support more than 100 friends
See statistics, scores, friend updates and more on the news ticker
Updated co-op lobby
Updated leaderboard layout
Added support for moving and shooting with directional buttons and action buttons
Added an option to toggle vibration on/off
Added an option to change HUD opacity
Added game statistics tracking
Added new and improved Game Over screen
Added Weekly and Monthly leaderboards
Added country leaderboards
Added session time to leaderboard entries
Added support for real names
Minor UI tweaks
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

The scoreboards are definitely reset, I played earlier and was twelfth in the world on the first stage, that sure as hell won't last! :D
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I has 1/4 of an inch left on the health bar of the final boss of Mefitis with a custom shop with 0 Agility, 0 Boost and 0 Overdrive abilities before dying. Gutted!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Gah! Try again!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Not happy about that scoreboard reset. The 400k I got on my quick tryout of the update looks pitiful below Leon's score on my leaderboard. Need to sort that out again! Have to say it doesn't feel quite as responsive since the update though. I played it a lot a few months ago, and maybe it's just muscle memory not kicking in again yet in my old age, but I'm not so sure.