Destiny / The Taken King

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Destiny / The Taken King

Post by JaySevenZero »

There's no doubt whatsoever that when it comes to creating an console FPS that Bungie have been in a league of their own. So, finally, we start to get a glimpse of what they've been creating after a decade on the Halo franchise.

I'm very keen to learn more about how this game actually plays as there appears to be a concerted effort with at least a couple of developers, CCP and now Bungie, in that they are attempting to redefine the shooter as something more than what we've become accustomed to over the last decade or so.

And that can only be a good thing, in my opinion.
dezm0nd

Re: Destiny

Post by dezm0nd »

That video certainly got me more excited than the concept art I saw last night. The idea of a persistent online world sounds good, I just hope it doesn't go all Molyneux and collapse under itself and become a shadow of what it could be.

Still, I have faith in Bungie and have enjoyed all their Halo games and with a fresh new slate, I'm sure they can make something that's equally as good, if not better!
James

Post by James »

I'm interested to hear more about Destiny for all the reasons you mentioned, Jay. I'm still baffled as to why Bungie are trying to build hype on dust and dreams though. Rockstar can do that for GTA because we all know, more or less, what a GTA game is, but I'd prefer to see Bungie putting something concrete forward. As far as I can tell no one outside of Bungie has seen the game - and "reaction shots" of Bungie testers playing the game is not even close to interesting.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I agree, I would have preferred to have seen more actual gameplay shots but I guess it's the way things are now these days in that they tease us at such a early stage with games. So much so that I often wonder if they don't use it as some kind of market research in gauging the potential audience reaction to stuff? Which would kinda suck if it were true.

I think it's safe to say that it'll be a while before we see it, maybe sometime in the latter half of 2014 so I would also expect it to be exclusive to the next generation and not on the current one.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

So this then, is the hook for buying a new xbox?

I find it hard to deny that I'm excited about this, even though at the moment it's vapourware.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:So this then, is the hook for buying a new xbox?

I find it hard to deny that I'm excited about this, even though at the moment it's vapourware.
It's coming out on 360 and PS3. It might be next gen too, but they haven't said anything that would indicate that so far. And I don't think it's fair to call it vapourware. It's just not out yet. It may be a long way off, but we don't say that every game that's not coming out soon vapourware.

Anyway, it looks interesting to me. I like the world they've created and the way they're doing multiplayer looks pretty cool. Sounds like they're mixing all the best bits from various different styles. I also like the idea of having lots of customisation options, especially with vehicles.

But I want to see proper gameplay footage before I get really excited though, and from the attitude Bungie were displaying while releasing all this info I think the success of Halo may have gone to their heads. For one thing they said that "nobody" wants to play a shooter that isn't exactly like Halo any more. That's bull.

But that could mean different things. It could mean that Bungie think they're so awesome that they don't even have to try any more, or that Destiny will simply play a lot like Halo. Obviously, the former would be a disaster, but I wouldn't mind so much if it just turned out to be the latter.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

According to a Eurogamer article the game will also appear on current gen consoles too and will require an always on internet connection to play.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Scrustle wrote: It's coming out on 360 and PS3. It might be next gen too, but they haven't said anything that would indicate that so far. And I don't think it's fair to call it vapourware. It's just not out yet. It may be a long way off, but we don't say that every game that's not coming out soon vapourware.
I forgot that part of bungie departing from the halo franchise was so that they could slide out from under the thumb of microsoft.
Make same wonder if this is what they wanted to do with the halo series, but microsoft put a pinch on it.

While I don't doubt that bungie have it in them to make a good game, it seems like a very ambitious project, and I've seen games that have promised big things but ended up falling over, Brink for example.
I'm looking forward to hearing some more information about it.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

So....I came on today having consumed quite a bit of recent coverage on Destiny (it's the subject of an IGN First season at the moment), and thinking that folks must be talking about this one quite a bit, only to find this old thread no-one seems to have engaged with in bloomin' ages.

Is this indicative of people's excitement levels or are people as psyched as the amount of coverage would have us believe?

If people are interested and are planning on picking it up, what platform are you going for?

Personally my levels of interest are steadily on the rise. I've always had a curiosity for it having thoroughly enjoyed Bungie's Halo titles, but they did a pretty poor job of telling people what Destiny really entailed until recently, so it's only just moved from the 'maybe' column to be a definite day one purchase for me.

In terms of platform I've decided to order for Xbox One rather than PS4, which seems a bit silly even to myself given the exclusive gubbins that Sony has secured for its systems (I mean half a glance at all the marketing would have you think this was a Playstation exclusive!)

My reasons for going XOne are two-fold - as much as the Dualshock 4 is a massive improvement over DS3 and a fine controller, I loved the 360 pad and am growing a similar affection for the XOne’s, so for a game I'm planning on sinking quite a lot of into that is a key consideration for me.

Secondly and most importantly a close friend of mine who I’ll be playing a lot with has an XOne so that was decision made really!

I’m a bit worried given that most multiplatform stuff seems to be running a bit better on PS4 at the mo, but now that the previously ring-fenced Kinect system resources have been freed up apparently Bungie have the game running at 1080p on XOne so my fears have been allayed slightly…..

And don’t worry that is the first and last time I will mention stupid resolution figures……it’s great that C&R is a haven from all that insane squabbling…..
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Pre ordered on the back of the alpha for the PS4. Loved the little I played of it. The bata finishes just before I go on holiday good timing Bungie.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

It's the one game I must have in 2014 but alternately I've stayed away from every bit of coverage outside of e3 that I can so that very little is spoiled for me. I'm absolutely psyched for this.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

After playing the alpha build, I was more excited than I ever have been for the game but it did take a little while for it to click.

PS4 for me!
Sean

Post by Sean »

I can't think of any other game that I'm more excited for in the rest of 2014. Maybe Forza Horizon 2, but, I need to see more of that first.

But, yeah, after playing the alpha, I was sold.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I'm definitely excited for this, PS4 version for me. Only reason I didn't play the Alpha was it was 6gb and I didn't think my download speed could handle it. Now it does a gb like a piece of piss, i'm well up for the beta.
The special editions look horrific though. £150 for a right load of tat.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Yeah I totally agree on those special editions Andy. This is one of the few games where I could have been tempted into into buying one (the last was the Wizards editon of Ni No Kuni - totally worth it for the incredible book), but the contents of these Destiny ones really don't justify the price tag for me.....
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm on XBO not PS4 at the moment so the hype doesn't really start for me until the beta begins on something I actually own.
Beck

Post by Beck »

According to Eurogamer, each person eligible for beta will be given 3 keys on one platform. - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... nload-keys

So, it looks like I'll have a spare key for PS4 if anyone wants it?

Edit - It's gone :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'll have a spare code to giveaway, too!
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

If anyone has a spare PS3 code then I'd be happy to un-burden them of that heavy weight :-)
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

If anyone find themselves with a PS4 code I'd be really grateful for it.