Alien: Isolation

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Alien: Isolation

Post by DomsBeard »

Anyone else picking it up next Tuesday?. I've avoided most of the details and decided to preorder it.

Watched Alien in preparation the other day and it looks like they've paid a lot of attention to details. Even the vents open and close the same.

I'm a big Alien fan so hopefully this will more than make up for the mess that was Colonial Marines.
dezm0nd

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm very intrigued to see how it plays. The idea of being hunted by one Alien is a great one. I'll be knee deep in Smash Bros at this point, so i'll give it a miss for now. :)
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I want to hear some reviews and word of mouth before I commit it but I've avoided all trailers etc hoping that it turns out great.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I hope this lives up to the promise. It would have been good if project Morpheus was around for this to be played on.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Wait, this is next week? How the hell am I meant to find time to play all this stuff? Whatever happened to delaying things till January? ;)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Very much looking forward to it, though it might be a few weeks before I pick it up. Alien is one of my all time favourites too so I'm interested to see how they handle one large looming threat, rather than just Xenomorphs just being cannon fodder. Imagine how satisfying it would be to vanquish the threat that has been stalking you for several hours.

Let us know how it is.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I wonder if it'll manage the level of tension that P.T. did for me at first?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hope so, I enjoyed PT to start with but as I said in the thread screaming babies and stuff like that put me off instantly. Can't wait for it :)
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Seams like horror is the new trend in gaming and I for one am looking forward to it. Need to buy a big supply of pants though
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Gave in and watched this :/

PapaBlingo

Post by PapaBlingo »

I played this at the EG Expo, but had no idea what I was doing, and got frustrated and bored. Could have been the mode though, as I doubt 'escape in the fastest time' is the best intro to this experience.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Story mode, lights off, headphones on :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

magicjoef wrote:Story mode, lights off, headphones on :)
I did that with Eternal Darkness. Scariest thing I've ever done...
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Really looking forward to this given that Alien is one of my favourite films, but I'll be waiting until I've picked up a PS4 so that I can get the best quality experience.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I'm really excited for this as Alien is top 5 all-time film for me, but I haven't pre-ordered as my couple of gaming sessions a week are both being consumed by Destiny at present, and I've got on XO & PS4 alone a backlog of 6 games apart from everything else, so can't justify a day one full price purchase given I probably won't get to it for a few months anyway.

The free added DLC for pre-orders that includes a section featuring the original Nostromo crew is a lovely touch and very nearly swayed me, but it will be available at a later date apparently so I won't miss out altogether.

I sincerely hope it does fantastically well at launch though as a great Alien game is long overdue, and being a childhood Sega kid it's always nice to see one of their products, even if only published by them, doing well.

Looking forward to seeing what those of you picking it up make of it!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Varying reviews from 5.9 to 10/10 doing the rounds. Going to make my own mind up :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes it's getting a good spread of scores from 6s all the way up. It's almost as if different reviewers - like other people - like different things to one another!

Seeeriously though, I'm interested to play this but 20+ hours does feel like it might be too long for this sort of thing (for my taste). As huge an Alien fan as I am I shall get this once it's cheaper.

As always I'm very much looking forward to hearing you lot talk about it in the meantime though!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It did very much seem to me when the game was first announced that it would probably be better suited to being a shorter, XBLA kind of game. It seems novel, but I just can't get my head around how it can sustain for 15+ hours.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Personally the score spread has made me more excited to play this, or a devisive game with an interesting core concept makes a stronger conversation/debate in my mind.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Had a good hour today and I'm impressed so far. Only met it once briefly but you knew it was coming. Cutscenes have been a bit jumpy and out of sync. Even save points have a risk as they are out in the open (think dead space).