Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
AndyKurosaki

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I was tempted to find the CD and snap the fucking thing in two. 10 years of the same god-damned songs have resulted in me utterly hating the fucking things. In the words of Frankie Boyle, "I'd happily punch every one of you in the face".
Pretty much sick of Xmas ad it is, but the fucking music makes it worse.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have been listening to a fair bit of Radiohead lately after spending the last 20 years or so saying how much I hated them. Well, I was wrong.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Currently listening to the same Xmas CD at work, an hour long, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. For nearly 3 weeks. Fuck Slade. Fuck Wizzard. Fuck motherfucking, repetiitive, braindead bastard Xmas songs.
Back at an old job where we were subject to a christmas CD, we kept popping out the Christmas CD and rubbing it across the floor, after at the end of the first week the entire CD skipped and became mysteriously unplayable...
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I been playing LadyHawke's debut album a lot latey such an underrated album IMHO.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Alex79uk wrote:I have been listening to a fair bit of Radiohead lately after spending the last 20 years or so saying how much I hated them. Well, I was wrong.
Had that same realisation a while back, not totally sure why I hated them in the first place but I'm glad the hate subsided.

I'm currently listening to Kavinsky - Outrun, pretty good and very reminiscent of Giorgio Moroder stuff so that's a thumbs up from me!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've been listening to Tool lately after having people tell me I'd love them for about 10 years! Turns out, I do!
manofmanybadaliases

Post by manofmanybadaliases »

been doing my annual 'listen to alot of Bay Area hip hop' summer listen,so i've been getting back into The Jacka check out his album 'Tear Gas' if you want a good place to start
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The new Leonard Cohen album, Popular Problems, is brilliant if anyone is interested.
RobC

Post by RobC »

https://youtu.be/CWyrlf5tCnM

My favourite marriage of sludgy hardcore & Silent Hill (on topic).

I'm sad but understanding that I've never seen these guys play this song live.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

The new Opeth. It's growing on me.
eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck »

Recently discovered that I had been missing out on the various musical talents of Devin Townsend. Picked up the entire Strapping Young Lad discography and Ziltoid The Omniscient and have been listening to all of it pretty heavily. Also picked up the new Meshuggah album and it's nothing short of excellent. Besides that, I have my regular podcasts I listen to throughout the week, and have been listening to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy audiobook series here and there for the past month or so. Coming back to Ziltoid The Omniscient. If you're a fan of Strapping Young Lad, give Ziltoid a listen. It's a space opera and one of the strangest albums I've ever listened to. I love it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The soundtrack to the docu-movie Before The Flood is out today, written mainly by Trent Reznor. I'm listening now. Given that Reznor could record himself vomiting in to a bucket and I'd give it 10 out of 10, my hopes are high, haha.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote:Reznor could record himself vomiting in to a bucket
I've got that EP.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's one of his best, particularly the last but one track, "My Lunch, Your Face". It really builds upon the groundwork set in the "Chunder Blunder / Frown Face Round My Place" double A side, but doesn't yet show the signs of maturity displayed on his seminal "Kiss My Dung" triple album.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Exciting news to wake up to - new Nine Inch Nails EP before Christmas! Wooooooohoo!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ep-w456483
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Machinae Supremacy just released a new album in the past week or so.

If you've never heard of them, please do check them out... Basically a swedish metal band that uses a C64 SID chip as one of their instruments.

The SID chip has become less prominent in recent work I think, but with a 15 year back catalogue of at least 7 albums, they are well worth a listen.

Try a song like Force Feedback as an introduction to their stuff.... they're basically all I've listened to since 2007!

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm digging the music, but not overly keen on the vocals. Will definitely investigate them further though. To Spotify.......!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I've had this stuck in my head the last two days and I can't get it out. I love it.

https://sosomodern.bandcamp.com/track/miyagi

(Not my band, and the song isn't on youtube)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm not the world's biggest Jamiroquai fan - I think some of the stuff is good- but this new tune is incredible.

skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

I can't remember where I heard about it but I've recently picked up listening to the podcast s-town. It's from This American Life, who also created and produces Serial. My opinion so far is it's just as good as Serial. So good that I carried on listening to it at 06:30 when the cat decided we should get up.

Other things I love listening to (besides Cane & Rinse of course) are:

Troy Hunt: Troy Hunt created Have I been pwnd a site that you can go to and check to see if you're information might have been leaked in and recorded data breeches. He also does the Weekly Update which is quite a universally understandable digest of big security events going on around the interwebs.

Last Podcast on the Left: This one is a fun one. Well, that depends on what you define as fun. It's a weekly podcast about serial killers, sects and cults. It's very informative but very lighthearted!