The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by Alex79 »

I literally have no idea what it does. Even after reading about it. It's a box you attach to the TV which can stream entertainment? So it's like your PS3 with no disc/hard drive? I can't see it replacing the Vita, it's not a games machine is it. No idea?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

A little more reading would indeed reveal it to be a huge waste of time. It can't even play most Vita games since so many rely on at least some sort of touch input. What a bizarre idea.
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

I love my Vita too! Beautiful bit of kit, great games and most of them come out on Plus, so I already have a huge catalogue of titles.

I don't think Sony are killing it off. I'm always surprised by the number of people still using PSPs on my commute to work, even watching TV on them. And so many visual novels! PSP had such a long tail, I don't think they see Vita as needing an immediate huge impact. I'm seeing more and more of them now the new model is cheaper and PSP is not being manufactured.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I love mine too, prefer it to the 3ds too. Luftrausers is brilliant so if you've not tried it yet get on it.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I thought the PSTV was a vita, minus controls and a screen, just plug it into your tv and away you go.
I love my vita, even more so now I have a PS4, shame the memory cards cost a lot, and it's a shame that sony seem to have constantly held it at arms length.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:I thought the PSTV was a vita, minus controls and a screen, just plug it into your tv and away you go.
I love my vita, even more so now I have a PS4, shame the memory cards cost a lot, and it's a shame that sony seem to have constantly held it at arms length.
It is - so you remove the handheld nature of the Vita, remove the unique features and make it impossible to play many games. Baffling to me.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

hazeredmist wrote:
RoboticMonk3y wrote:I thought the PSTV was a vita, minus controls and a screen, just plug it into your tv and away you go.
It is - so you remove the handheld nature of the Vita, remove the unique features and make it impossible to play many games. Baffling to me.
Not quite. It is also the remote play functionality (hence the renaming) and that is a selling point for many. The ability to play their PS4 games on other TV's or monitors around the house without lugging around the main console.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

arry_g wrote:
hazeredmist wrote:
Not quite. It is also the remote play functionality (hence the renaming) and that is a selling point for many. The ability to play their PS4 games on other TV's or monitors around the house without lugging around the main console.
True, so it does! That is a decent feature, far outweighing the Vita game aspects actually. Though I still disagree with it as you're making Vita's remote play less essential and thus potentially impacting Vita sales and support down the line further :evil:
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

hazeredmist wrote:Though I still disagree with it as you're making Vita's remote play less essential and thus potentially impacting Vita sales and support down the line further :evil:
Now, this we agree on! The treatment of the Vita is disappointing, it's an excellent console that does not get the right level of support or attention.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: PlayStation 4

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Interesting little first year review of PS4 on Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... first-year

Must say I largely agree with the points made.

I'm fortunate enough to have both PS4 & Xbox One (no Wii U sadly, although would like one!), and of the two Xbox One has become my primary platform thus far, with the PS4 getting little use in recent months. I'll certainly not be selling it as there's enough coming in 2015 to justify it's spot under the telly for sure (eg. Bloodborne, Uncharted) but if I didn't own either machine and was evaluating the current games line-up along with those to come in the next 12 months, I'd be picking the Xbox One right now.

Yes PS4 has the edge on many multi-platform titles (I'll probably be picking the likes of Witcher 3 and Batman up on PS4 next year if that trend continues) but the difference isn't anywhere as pronounced as the 360 & PS3 years where PS3 basically got broken versions of some titles. As far as I can tell Xbox One versions work just fine, just some have a slightly lower res that you can only see if you've got a direct comparison and an eye for these things.

Again, if you were looking at getting just one of the consoles, I'd have to recommend Xbox One which after the shambles of that launch I didn't think I'd be saying!

Overall I must say I'm just a little bit disappointed with PS4, and am sincerely hoping for a more fruitful 2015!

What are your thoughts on PS4 one year in? Happy? Sad? Bit of both??
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Well I've just recently picked one up and I love it so far - the PS+ games are great, the hardware and UI are lovely to use and the main games I've been playing, while not exclusives, are ace (Destiny, FIFA). I like the controller a lot too.

I think that article is a bit too negative for my liking.

Having just sold my Xbox and PS3 as part of upgrading to a PS4 and Wii U, I am pretty damn happy. I'm glad to see the back of the Xbox to be honest, the UI was awful with more ads than games, and what I've seen of the Xbox One I've not particularly liked. I'd like to have Titanfall and the Halo collection sure, but other than that (Titanfall's follow up will be cross platform I believe) there' really not much I'm bothered about on Microsoft's platform. Halo has been getting panned for it's matchmaking and online issues, something Bungie were experts at, so even that is kind of moot. Halo without Bungie is just not the same. Felt that way with Halo 4 too.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Really glad you're enjoying the system mate. As you say it is down to personal taste with regards to the games themselves, and I'm very excited for what is coming on PS4, I just wish there was more of them.

You're also right about PS+. It is great and has offered much better value than Games With Gold I think so far this year. The constant stream of great indie games is very welcome and I'm really pleased for the creators that they are being given such prominence on the platform and pushed to as wide an audience as possible.

On the flip side, while I love an indie game as much as the next guy, I have found myself asking was this the type of game I bought a PS4 to play, particularly given that the majority of them are available on every other platform out there. Where are my truly next gen experiences that I can't play elsewhere?
Sinclair Gregstrum

If there are any US citizens among us who have had a Vita since the early days, it looks like you're due some money back thanks to some dastardly promotional practices from Sony.....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... -marketing

If this applies to you, get on the case!
Beck

Post by Beck »

Any one had a ps4 that keeps spitting discs out?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does it only happen when you try to play Assassins Creed: Unity?
Beck

Post by Beck »

Unfortunately not, it was happening every 5 minutes at it's worst. I found a guide that suggested tightening an eject screw which I did last night. It seems to have stopped for now, here's hoping that's it fixed. I can't be bothered contacting Sony support again
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:On the flip side, while I love an indie game as much as the next guy, I have found myself asking was this the type of game I bought a PS4 to play, particularly given that the majority of them are available on every other platform out there. Where are my truly next gen experiences that I can't play elsewhere?
Yup! At the moment I have Destiny, which feels next-gen to me but Jay reports is identical on PS3 aside from graphics, so I can't help wondering how good it could have been. I've got FIFA 14 for when mates are round but that's it aside from PS+ titles. Mind you, Destiny is so good I'm not too bothered at the moment.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Really glad you're enjoying the system mate. As you say it is down to personal taste with regards to the games themselves, and I'm very excited for what is coming on PS4, I just wish there was more of them.<br /><br />You're also right about PS+. It is great and has offered much better value than Games With Gold I think so far this year. The constant stream of great indie games is very welcome and I'm really pleased for the creators that they are being given such prominence on the platform and pushed to as wide an audience as possible.<br /><br />On the flip side, while I love an indie game as much as the next guy, I have found myself asking was this the type of game I bought a PS4 to play, particularly given that the majority of them are available on every other platform out there. Where are my truly next gen experiences that I can't play elsewhere?<br/>

I've not had that moment yet, for me leaving vault 101 in Fallout 3 was when I felt like that was truly next gen and that didn't come out for a while. You are right though my game of the year Alien Isolation I could've just as easy played on 360.

Being lucky enough to have a vita I have really enjoyed remote play especially with destiny
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

DomsBeard wrote: Being lucky enough to have a vita I have really enjoyed remote play especially with destiny
Vita + PS4 is a winning combo.
You can remote play on some android phone too now can't you?

Have you used the dualshock with remote vita play?
saves on having to use the mapped touch controls, the only bind was having to work out where to prop the vita if I'm not holding it
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Whoah, you can use a dual shock for remote play? Fuck. This could revolutionise my bedtime Destiny needs... How do you do that?