Sound of Play: 3

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 3

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome back to our podcast about our favourite videogame music – Sound of Play.

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

This show’s contributors were: Leon Cox, Tony Atkins and Darren Gargette

Community contributors were: Katieee120, Follow My Ruin and Scrustle

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Sound of Play intro mash-up by Ryan Hamann.

Track 1: The Last of Us Main Theme by Gustavo Santaolalla (The Last of Us, 2013)
Track 2: Still Alive by Lisa Miskovsky (Mirror’s Edge, 2008)
Track 3: Frog Hop 2 (Young Love Rock n Roll) – Japanese version by Mitsuo Terada (Tsunku) (Rhythm Tengoku/Rhythm Heaven, 2008)
Track 4: Master Mode Stage by Jun Chikuma (Saturn Bomberman, 1996)
Track 5: Kraid’s Theme by Hirokazu “Hip” Tanaka (Metroid, 1986)
Track 6: I Am Alive Main Theme by Jeff Broadbent (I Am Alive, 2012)
Track 7: Heaven’s Devils by Cris Velasco/Derek Duke/Glenn Stafford/Neal Acree/Russell Brower/Sascha Dikiciyan (StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, 2010)
Track 8: Windmill Hills by David Wise, Kenji Yamamoto (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, 2014)
Track 9: The Throne Room by Oscar Araujo (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, 2014)

Sound of Play: 3 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 3

Post by Flabyo »

The Starcraft piece has elements of 'Space Western' about it, which comes up from time to time as a theme in US media.

I'm reminded both of the Militia theme tune in Titanfall, and more clearly Greg Edmonson's work for Firefly:

(I linked the Titanfall pieces a coupe of months back in the main game music thread, if you want to hear another example of the style)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Funny you wrote that, because Firefly/Serenity sprang to my mind whilst I was editing/listening to the show.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aye, deffo. More examples of this sub-genre in Borderlands too.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Great episode. I couldn't help but burst out laughing at the end of that Rhythm Heaven song.

But I'm pretty sure you got my LoS2 song wrong. I believe the song you actually played was from the Tron Legacy soundtrack.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle wrote:But I'm pretty sure you got my LoS2 song wrong. I believe the song you actually played was from the Tron Legacy soundtrack.
Seriously? How the fu...?!

Well that's more than a little mysterious. I expect Jay can make a corrected version. This one right?

I may have trusted an unknown source too keenly when searching for MP3s!
My very bad :oops:

Just had another look at the file I sent to Jay and it does say it's from the LoS2 demo. Not sure it's from Daft Punk/Tron though - although I wouldn't swear to it!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yup that video is the right song. But this is the song that was put in the show:

The track naming for the game is a bit odd though. Some of the songs have different names between the soundtrack CD, the ripped files from the game, and the pre-release previews.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

How very odd. Well colour me embarrassed! I've now uploaded the correct file to Jay and will get him to put out a fixed version of the podcast.
Many apologies!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

No problem! ;)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Good job someone's got keen ears! Anyway, I've replaced the file and the track should now be correct (I hope).
Beck

Post by Beck »

Another great episodes gent's, well done :)