The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by dezm0nd »

Sorry man, I don't have any spares :(
chase210

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by chase210 »

Thats ok, I'm just hoping someone is feeling generous, I'l be awful grateful.
mikeleddy83

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by mikeleddy83 »

So, this Smash Bros business. How's online? Can you set up private matches? Does it feature voice chat?

I'm not traditionally a fan of the series but I might give it a shot for the collectable side of things and any upcoming game nights if the right answers are in place.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The online from what I've played is pretty smooth, which surprised me. As for online, you can do private rooms for upto 4 players. Was kinda hoping they'd do an online tournament system ala Mario Kart 8.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

mikeleddy83 wrote:So, this Smash Bros business. How's online?
Fine for me every time I've played with friends overseas; conflicting reports in general, I think.
Can you set up private matches?
With people on your friends list, yes. And you can finally look at people's profiles after matches and send friend requests if they're not on your friends list.
Does it feature voice chat?
When playing with friends, between matches, yes. It turns off while you're actually playing, though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

(It also only works online for me if the WiiU is in my routers DMZ. I really hope Nintendo get around to fixing that, it's not like I'm using a particularly obscure router brand, it's a Belkin one!)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Captain Toad is getting good reviews, and for the price point it'll be hard not to add it to my ever growing library of Wii U games.

I'm at 22 now!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yeah, it really is the best console on offer for volume of desirable games at the moment, I got a Wii U and a PS4 a couple of weeks apart and I have 9 Wii U games and 2 PS4 games, and I'm really struggling to think beyond another 2 games I want for the PS4, whereas I'd like another 3/4 on Wii U at least.

It had a head start I guess but damn, what a lovely console. Don't even mind about the lack of 3rd party support when the 1st party games are this good.

I've got: Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land, Wii Party U (free with a controller), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Batman: Arkham City - Armoured Edition, Pikmin 3, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Zombie U

Lovely :)

Oh by the way this deal is INSANE if anyone is in the market: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P ... X72Z02V61Z

£199 for all that!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sounds like a running theme here: 12 Wii U games, 3 Xbox One games and 7 PS4 games (no doubt being a higher number than anticipated thanks to 5 multi-plat games).

I still remember when adoption rates were the buzz word on gaming websites. I can see why that isn't a popular argument anymore! :twisted:
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I ordered the Amazon deal that hazedredmist mentioned above, but I've just been informed that they're no longer offering this and I've had my pre-order cancelled. They did give me a £15 credit for my troubles, though
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Looking really promising. Graphics look a little unfinished, but the game is a long way off so that's expected. I love how open it is and the mobility you have on top of Epona.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Please, please, please Nintendo. Give us online sharing. Please!

RobC

Post by RobC »

After listening to the latest podcast I picked up Smash Wii U last night digitally and the thing is huge (17Gb install), means I had to clear off a few other digital games.

Does anyone have any experience with external drives? I was hoping maybe I could get away with sticking in a 32Gb memory stick, not sure if it needs a powered drive though. Do games run ok from external drives?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

They run fine, I use a 32gb Kingston G3 stick with fast read/write speeds but even using my smaller sandisk 16gb stick there are no noticeable differences and no external power is required. Just be aware that the Wii U formats it (possibly to its own format) for its use so you might want to grab another on the cheap. As far as I'm aware games actually run better than by disc, Grim from these forums had issues with the disc version of MH3U but digitally it had no issues with loading in assets when browsing the inventory on that particular game.
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

Getting a Wii U for Xmas. Gone for the basic console. Wanting to connect an external HD to increase storage. Do I need one that powers from the mains?
James

Post by James »

adwild1982 wrote:Getting a Wii U for Xmas. Gone for the basic console. Wanting to connect an external HD to increase storage. Do I need one that powers from the mains?
Nope. See previous post for confirmation that sticks will work fine. :)
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

Awesome thanks. So if am reading this right can I play eshop downloads of a memory stick?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

adwild1982 wrote:Awesome thanks. So if am reading this right can I play eshop downloads of a memory stick?
yep, usb sticks are all good. If you're thinking of getting an older external HDD with a power supply it's likely you'd need that power supply in that case only from what I've read but my 32gb usb stick has covered everything fine so far and with multiple usb slots you can add a larger stick later and simply move the content across from one stick to the other under the settings menu.
RobC

Post by RobC »

mikeleddy83 wrote:They run fine, I use a 32gb Kingston G3 stick with fast read/write speeds but even using my smaller sandisk 16gb stick there are no noticeable differences and no external power is required. Just be aware that the Wii U formats it (possibly to its own format) for its use so you might want to grab another on the cheap. As far as I'm aware games actually run better than by disc, Grim from these forums had issues with the disc version of MH3U but digitally it had no issues with loading in assets when browsing the inventory on that particular game.
Thanks, picked up a 32Gb stick, under a tenner and was very straightforward to get setup :)