Sound of Play: 6

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 6

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to the last podcast of 2014 about our favourite videogame music – Sound of Play.

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

This show’s presenters were: Leon Cox and Jay Taylor.

Community contributors were: Solm, Craigie H, Tleprie, Cwench Design, Hands in the Jam, Ash, Man of Many Bad Aliases, David Hartley and Pope Ramone.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Sound of Play intro mash-up by Ryan Hamann.

Track 1: Main Theme by Mahito Yokota (Super Mario Galaxy, 2007)
Track 2: Paradise Lost by Inon Zur (Fallout 3, 2008)
Track 3: Blooba Doop Scooba by Danny Baranowsky (The Basement Collection, 2012)
Track 4: Labyrinth by Keiji Takeuchi, Akiyoshi “Einosuke” Nagao, Katsumi Tanaka (Super Aleste, 1992)
Track 5: Track Three by Peter McConnell (Afterlife, 1996)
Track 6: Force of Light by Motoi Sakuraba (Shining Force III, 1997)
Track 7: The Origin by Maki Kirioka, Akihiro Honda, Norihiko Hibino, Toshiyuki Kakuta, Shuichi Kobori (Zone of the Enders, 2001)
Track 8: Civil (Battle) by Ben Prunty (FTL: Faster Than Light, 2012)
Track 9: Setting Sail, Coming Home by Darren Korb with Ashley Barrett (Bastion, 2011)

Sound of Play: 6 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
RobC

Re: Sound of Play: 6

Post by RobC »

What's the song in the intro music right before the Zelda theme? I suspect it's from one of the Metal Gear games but I'm not overly familiar.

Great episode by the way!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Ah, I do love a bit of Motoi Sakuraba. I know him more from his RPG scores than his shooter ones (although I do have his music from the Mega CD one Sol Deace somewhere...)

He loves that Hammond organ of his. Partly why his score on Eternal Sonata is so interesting, he had to go entirely acoustic...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

RobC wrote:What's the song in the intro music right before the Zelda theme? I suspect it's from one of the Metal Gear games but I'm not overly familiar.
I think it's Metal Gear Solid 2. It's a more orchestral version of the theme than the first game had, and they dropped the theme in the later games.

The intro goes like this I think:

Banjo Kazooie
Super Mario Brothers.
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid 2
Legend of Zelda
Halo
(something I don't recognise)
Mortal Kombat
(something else I don't recognise)

Care to fill in the gaps in my knowledge?
RobC

Post by RobC »

Thanks, found it :)

The first gap there is the Firelink Shrine music from Dark Souls, never heard the last one though.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

I'm pretty sure the last one is from Bastion, I just can't figure out which song it is.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I thought it might have been from Portal 2. Ryan - help us!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Really great episode. A really cool and very diverse mix of stuff. I love the song from The Basement Collection. Very fun but also a good composition. That song from Afterlife was really cool as well. Sounds very reminiscent of some of the stuff from Braid. And that song from Shining Force 3! Brilliant. Very proggy and full of energy. It's a shame we don't get those Shining games over here any more. While I don't usually pay attention to those games, the most recent one looks like something I would have wanted to try out. I really love that Zone of the Enders song as well. Those games have some great music to them. Very eerie and otherworldly. And of course, you can't go wrong with Bastion. Great stuff.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, the music in all the Zone of Enders games is pretty distinctive. Did consider requesting the second games opening theme 'Beyond the Bounds', but it's English is pretty off and that would probably put a lot of people off...
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

ratsoalbion wrote:I thought it might have been from Portal 2. Ryan - help us!
I finally found it!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh yeah! I've got that soundtrack too :oops:
Solm

Post by Solm »

Another great episode. Glad to hear you are doing so well in the download charts, well deserved.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Thanks for playing my selection! It's also my favourite game of all time so... Yay!
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Flabyo wrote:
RobC wrote:What's the song in the intro music right before the Zelda theme? I suspect it's from one of the Metal Gear games but I'm not overly familiar.
I think it's Metal Gear Solid 2. It's a more orchestral version of the theme than the first game had, and they dropped the theme in the later games.

The intro goes like this I think:

Banjo Kazooie
Super Mario Brothers.
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid 2
Legend of Zelda
Halo
(something I don't recognise)
Mortal Kombat
(something else I don't recognise)

Care to fill in the gaps in my knowledge?
Sorry to be absent from this :P The definitive list of the mashup:

Banjo-Kazooie Theme
Super Mario Bros. Theme
Revived Power ~Battle Theme~ from Shadow of the Colossus
"Metal Gear Solid" Main Theme ~Reprise~ from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Legend of Zelda: Suite recorded by the London Philharmonic Orchestra for the Greatest Video Game Music compilation
Truth and Reconciliation Suite from Halo
Firelink Shrine from Dark Souls
Theme from the Mortal Kombat film
The Prettiest Weed from Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Good job identifying the last one ;) Not a super well-known track, but I wanted to represent the rising indie scene alongside the established studios and series.