The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by dezm0nd »

Hmmm, they'll no doubt save the proper Starfox stuff for E3/ Digital Event but you never know!

Even a short in-game teaser would be ace.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Totaka's Song rears its beautiful head in yet another amazingly well hidden place.

chase210

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by chase210 »

Theres a direct tomorrow, 2pm. Expected is

N3DS release date
Majoras mask stuff
Monster hunter
Yoshi's yarn game
Codename STEAM
Starfox

The rest would be speculation :p theres a pretty legit looking leaflet that says N3DS is out 13th feb in the states, hopefully we ain't too far behind, but we'll see.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

dezm0nd wrote:Hmmm, they'll no doubt save the proper Starfox stuff for E3/ Digital Event
Would they really, though? Nintendo still trend towards making big batches of announcements of new games at E3, certainly, but revealing more info on already-announced games is pretty common for a Direct.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nintendo don't really play by the same established 'rules' as everyone else anymore when it comes to revealing new game information.

Remember, they didn't do a live press conference at last years E3, just an extended Nintendo Direct video and then they streamed stuff from their stand at the show all weekend.

I think they're the first to realise that the 'stand on stage and show people awkwardly playing games' is less interesting to the consumer audience than a really well put together and polished 'Direct' video. And E3, at least in terms of what we see online about it, is increasingly consumer focused. It used to be E3 was about showing the games to the press and then the press would present them to the consumer. In the Twitch era it's possible to skip the middleman.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I think they will probably show Starfox sooner rather than later, considering its relation to Zelda U. They've said it's coming out before Zelda, which is coming out this year, supposedly at least. Zelda is most likely coming out in the run up to Christmas, as you would expect from such a big release. Even if Starfox comes out only a week or two before that, that's hardly any time to drum up hype for it from E3 this year. Unless they do something crazy like doing one of those E3 announcements where they release the game at the exact same time. Could happen I suppose, but I think it's unlikely for such an anticipated game.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I'll just be happy with a release date for Splatoon. If anyone can create a fun and unique shooter it's Nintendo, and from what's been shown so far it looks like a corker.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Roy42 wrote:
dezm0nd wrote:Hmmm, they'll no doubt save the proper Starfox stuff for E3/ Digital Event
Would they really, though? Nintendo still trend towards making big batches of announcements of new games at E3, certainly, but revealing more info on already-announced games is pretty common for a Direct.
This direct is focusing on games coming this Spring. What's considered Spring? Up until June?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Man I really want a new 3DS. Love the thought of useable 3D.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

New 3DS UK release confirmed as 13th Feb. Woo!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Mario Party 10 - March release date - Supports amiibo
Captain Toad supports amiibo, adds new Hide N Seek mode
Codename STEAM - May release date, had amiibo support
New Fire Emblem for 3DS announced
New 3DS and XL out Feb 13th
A few Wii games being sold digitally for play on Wii U
The new Mario Vs Donkey Kong supports cross buy
Majoras Mask 3D has a hardware bundle, out on February 13th
Monster Hunter 4 and hardware bundle coming Feb 13th

... and some Gears of War clone. The end

NOT THE END! Japan got a 3DS Rhythm Heaven "best of" game which features 30 new mini games!

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B7UZDnBCMAE3InH.mp4
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

That was a pretty great show. I've been looking to buy Metroid Prime Trilogy literally for years now, and then they go and release it for download for super cheap! I really hope there's HD support, but I'm not so confident about that. Kind of bad timing too since I finally got a PC that can run Dolphin.

And that MM3D 3DSXL looks so cool. I have thought in the past that if they did a MM themed New XL I might have to go for that version.

The Splatoon stuff looked cool as well. I like how they've been rolling out the announcements for that game. At first it seemed like a neat idea, but which could potentially have not much to it. Then they announced that weird looking single player stuff, and now the customisation system too. Sounds good.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

I was not expecting MH4U so soon, oh boy oh boy!
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

DomsBeard wrote:That's a shame, mind you I've got New Super Mario/Luigi brothers and 3D to try yet plus Donkey Kong if I can find anywhere selling a copy at a non ridiculous price :)
Whoops, seems I spoke too soon - Nintendo's just announced they'll be selling Wii games on the Wii U eShop, with Gamepad support for games originally supporting the Classic Controller! Won't work with the Galaxies, but still - good timing , eh?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah especially as I've never played galaxy 2. Metroid is a must buy for me too.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

Wow, that was quick - SMG2 is already on the eShop, and at half price. But yeah, Metroid Prime trilogy is essential and if I'm understanding correctly, it'll be £18... and half that for a week? That's value. Do you have a Wiimote and nunchuck?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I have but I played all 3 primes on the GameCube and loaned the trilogy from love film a couple of years ago and didn't enjoy using the wiiremote and nunchuck. Probably my stubborn muscle memory :)
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

I can understand that. I've never been a big fan of motion controls myself, although I did find that the Metroid Prime Trilogy controlled quite well the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo. In fact, when you get used to it, I'd say that it's even more efficient than the GameCube controller, though I do feel that something is lost in translation as the original was designed with a more restrictive control method in mind.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

One monster hunter 4 ultimate demo code available if anybody wants it, perhaps another after I see if Grim already has one.

A076UNYF38CK6ACL

Please post if you use it, I hate the idea of typing my own in never mind one that doesn't work anymore!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I've been mailed a bunch of M4HU demo codes for 3DS as well if anyone is short and wants one.