Games Completed 2015

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2015

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die: Season One
22/01 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Ultimate Edition [Warrior (Normal) - 2nd playthrough]
23/01 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Ultimate Edition: Reverie & Resurrection (Chapter XIII & XIV) [Squire/Warrior - 2nd playthrough]
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan

Very charming little game, with an interesting use of mechanics and a cool aesthetic. It wasn't a mind-blowing experience though, but it didn't seem like it was trying to be. Pulled off what it was trying to do pretty much flawlessly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think that game could have done with being about 30% shorter. Short as it was, I found some sections were just slightly over long and I'd become tired of most the new ideas long before they moved on.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yeah I felt some of the earlier sections did drag a little before they changed things up. I put that down to me having already played those sections through the demo though. After that I had no problem.

But I think that it's somewhat of a trend in these short, minimalist games that they can tend to drag sometimes, but I don't think that's down to the games themselves. It's rather the way we approach playing them. Well, the way I do anyway. Sometimes I tend to look at these games and think because they're short I can finish them in one sitting. I probably could, but it would be a long sitting, and one that perhaps the depth of the mechanics can't really hold up for. Instead they should be done in about two or three sittings, so they don't get stale, and you don't end up feeling like you just want the thing to end already before you finish it.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

pm
(Jan) Sniper Elite V2 - PS3.
(Jan) Back to the Future:Episodes 1-5 - PSN.
(Jan) Velocity 2X - VITA.
(Jan) Killzone Mercenary(Veteran difficulty) - VITA.
(Jan) Nidhogg(Single player) - VITA.
(Jan) The Evil Within - PS4.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 5: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (100%)
Jan 6: Halo 3 (Legendary co-op)
Jan 14: Gears of War Judgement
Jan 18: Demons Souls
Jan 25: Resident Evil Remake
Jan 26: Halo 4 (Legendary co-op)

Halo 4 in Legendary Co-Op. Not as good as I remember it being but that was probably hype blinding me. Still, it's the best looking game on the system and whiffs of Metroid Prime. I hope Halo 5 captures more of the whimsy which Bungie poured into the series but from the beta, it's going to be even darker still.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Alex79uk wrote:I'd love to play through Chrono Trigger one day. I own it on about five different formats, and have played the first couple of hours at least ten times :/
Play the DS version. The touch screen controls make combat easier in my opinion, plus it has the anime cutscenes that the PSX version had without being awful like the PSX version apparently was, and also has extra dungeons that give you incredibly overpowered endgame weapons for several characters. Also it's on the DS, so you can play it anywhere.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Metal Gear Ghost Babel(GBC emulator)-So finnaly finnished it and after going back to Metal Gear 2 and comparing the two I gotta say that the stealth gameplay in this game is clearly superior it takes the best innovations of Metal Gear Solid and applies them to the 2D plane and excels at it,that being said the game unfortunally isnt just about the stealth while in metal gear 2 the objectives were always clear and involving the player to sneak from A to B Ghost babel likes to introduce alot of busy work that dont involve stealth at all and only seem to waste time,for example there's a whole part where you have to use different cardboard boxes to go through a conveyor belt maze,the point of this is to get to a certain location unfortunally you dont know where this location is and the game gives you no hints reguarding this so you just have to stumble around that conveyor belt taking wrong exit after wrong exit and having to start everything over again until you eventually get to where you were supposed to go. There's also a bunch of annoying sections involving nikita missiles based puzzles and chase sections.
Other minor annoyances I have with the gameplay is how the grenades handle,how the animals detection work and some of the boss fights,especially the last ones.

This sucks because the core gameplay and the story are pretty good but unfortunally everything else here pales in comparison to Metal Gear 2 a game made 10 years before this one,eventually all these small annoyances pilled up and took their toll on me it also doesnt help that the game rates you after every mission primarily on time and when most missions involve you doing busywork and getting lost in the level you kinda get pissed when you finnish a mission with no alerts,no enemies dead and no rations used only to get a terrible rating because of time. The game also lacks any Kojima charm(which might be good for some)no clever left field puzzles,funny gags or overall personality really.
All this said this is still a good game especially when you're just sneaking around it's alot of fun,if you want 2D stealth and is willing to put up with some annoyances from time to time you will have a good time but if you want a Metal gear game you'll probably come out a little disapointed,if I was gonna compare this to Metal Gear 2 "objectively" Ghost Babel would be the superior game but personally I'd take Metal Gear 2 any day over this.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Shovel Knight

Started well as a good ducktales clone and gradually became boring which is quite a feat considering it's barely 2 hours long. Glad to see what the hype was about though, shame I don't share the love.
Jan - Chrono Trigger
Jan - Sega Rally Championship
Jan - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Jan - Salamander 2
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

2 hours - blimey!
Average time to clock is 6-7 hours, double that for 100%...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die: Season One
22/01 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Ultimate Edition [Warrior (Normal) - 2nd playthrough]
23/01 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Ultimate Edition: Reverie & Resurrection (Chapter XIII & XIV) [Squire/Warrior - 2nd playthrough]
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
28/01 - Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island (Finale)

Finally got around to finishing this expansion. Took me a while though, mostly just because I don't really like off-road racing much. Never really liked it in games. Grip is always so inconsistent and unreliable, and inputs always feel slow to respond and vague. Just not as fun or rewarding as driving on tarmac I find. Especially with the twitchy brakes in FH2. Even using ABS and being super gentle, I was locking up all the time. It's a little annoying.

But it is more FH2 content. So I enjoyed it insofar as that I generally love the game. Despite my problems with off-road stuff in general I did find it fun most of the time. Not my prefered way of playing though.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

ratsoalbion wrote:2 hours - blimey!
Average time to clock is 6-7 hours, double that for 100%...
Yeah, surprised to see that after just checking this second but I think the part where I decided to speed up and avoid collecting as many secrets was when the highest priced armour had that "looks nice but doesn't really do anything" tag which turned me off collectibles and left me with a much lower stat page than most.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

05 Jan: Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
23 Jan: Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)
29 Jan: Assassin's Creed III (PS3)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: Jan 15th - Dragon Age: Inquisition (XBO)
Jan 29th - Telltale Games : Game of Thrones Episode 1 (XBO)

Been avoiding this one until I finished the books, which I managed earlier this week, so figured I'd give this a shot.

I could do with a little less instant death quicktime events, especially as for some reason they're almost all in the 'cold opening' equivalent of the episode so give a slightly false impression of how the rest of the game is going to play out.

Matching the structure of the TV show is an interesting choice, right down to the opening credit sequence. I think it works here, cause it makes it clear this is pretty much 'deleted footage' from the show in style.

Lots of places it could go. Especially like the character of Mira, caught in King's Landing and forced to play the game in a way she isn't familiar with.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Starting off this year:

Jan 6: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
Jan 7: Marvin's Mittens (PC)
Jan 12: Lego Batman: The Videogame (PC)
Jan 14: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
Jan 15: Attack of the Friday Monsters!: A Tokyo Tale (3DS)
Jan 22: Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (PC)
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

5/1 Destiny : The dark below DLC
21/1 The walking dead s2e5

30/1 Infamous: First Light

Enjoyed it more then second son, Fetch is far less anouying then Delson.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Always Sometimes Monsters(PC)-Well that was something I guess it was both what I expected and something I didnt expect and both in bad ways...I mean the whole concept is interesting a adventure game where choices are everything the problem is that how different your game gonna be from others is decided on the beginning and on certain moments,stilll your choices have alot more consequence then in a Telltale game unfortunally the writing is all over the place,it certainly has it's moments but overall it's average at best and has some really poorly written moments that just destroy anything good the writers had done before,the game also has these horribly tedious mini games that you can justify some as being the point like in No More Heroes or Papers Please but others just make no sense like the hacking thing it was just boring busywork,it also didnt help with the devs self-inserts in the game self congratulating each other on how amazing and clever their games was while I was frustated or bored.
I have the feeling your apreciation for the game may vary wildly depending on your choices but from what I've seen my feelings would remain the same and my ending is relativily better written than some others I've seen,so yeah this was a neat idea for a game and Im glad I played it but I sure as hell never playing it again but if youare interested in how this game does it's story it might be worth having a look but other than that I'd steer clear.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Feb - BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea -- Episode 1

Held off on this for a long time and sadly it once again falls into the strictly average camp I seem to be subjecting myself to this year. Hopefully it'll be back on form by episode 2.

Feb - Gunman Clive

Ditto, I'm cursed!
Jan - Shovel Knight
Jan - Chrono Trigger
Jan - Sega Rally Championship
Jan - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Jan - Salamander 2
RobC

Post by RobC »

Jan - The Evil Within
Jan - Pikmin 3
Jan - Shovel Knight
Jan - The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Feb - Resident Evil remastered, Jill playthrough. This was the first time I'd ever played the whole game through, was a lot longer that I thought it would be, took me 12 hours. I did enjoy it despite the final encounter being a bit of a damp squib. I may go back and play through with Chris but I'm sure this will get buried.
wolfrider

Post by wolfrider »

Jan:
LARA CROFT & THE GUARDIAN OF LIGHT
GOLDEN AXE ARCADE
RATCHET & CLANK-NEXUS
ALIEN ISOLATION
ALIEN ISOLATION CREW EXPENDABLE
ALIEN ISOLATION LAST SURVIVOR
JURASSIC PARK PART 1-THE INTRUDER
JURASSIC PARK PART 2-THE CAVALRY
JURASSIC PARK PART 3-THE DEPTHS
JURASSIC PARK PART 4-THE SURVIVORS
RATCHET & CLANK-QFORCE
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Sniper Elite V2 - PS3.
(Jan) Back to the Future:Episodes 1-5 - PSN.
(Jan) Velocity 2X - VITA.
(Jan) Killzone Mercenary(Veteran difficulty) - VITA.
(Jan) Nidhogg(Single player) - VITA.
(Jan) The Evil Within - PS4.
(Feb) Muramasa Rebirth - VITA.