Wii U co-op for kids

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Giles

Wii U co-op for kids

Post by Giles »

Fellow WiiU owners! Looking for good co-op games (3+ players) available on the UK eShop, suitable for kids ages 7-10. Any suggestions?

Xan has recommended Art Of Balance, which I've picked up:

Thanks in advance!
Tleprie

Re: WiiU Co-op For Kids

Post by Tleprie »

I recommend New Super Mario Bros. U. It can get a bit challenging, but if someone is using the game pad, they can help out by placing temporary platforms. With the game pad 5 people can play, although only 4 will be characters on screen.
Similarly, Rayman Legends has 4 player co-op. It might be a bit more difficult, but still lots of fun. I only played it on PS4, but I have heard good things about the Wii U version.

Both of these games have lots to do beyond the main game. Rayman has lots of characters to unlock and some challenge levels. Mario can be replayed to try to get the gold coins in each level, although those can be challenging sometimes. Hopefully this helps!
Giles

Post by Giles »

Thanks, Tieprie! Yeah, wondered about Super Mario Bros. U.. but wondered if I'd spend half the time telling them off for constantly griefing each other.. ;)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

The lego games seem to have pretty good local co-op. I think there are a couple of those on Wii-U?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, my mate and his kids adore LEGO City Undercover.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

Just jumping in to say that LEGO City Undercover, unlike the other LEGO games, does unfortunately not have co-op multiplayer.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Gah! Thanks for the heads-up, Grim. My mate must just play pass the controller or somat.
Sorry for the dodgy buying advice, folks!
dezm0nd

Re: Wii U co-op for kids

Post by dezm0nd »

I always remembered being with my brothers playing Mario Kart 8 GP Split-Screen but having a truce into not hitting each other and helping each other to win the cups!
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

Mario Kart can definitely be a lot of fun working together.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

Another great game that has co-op is Guacamelee. Although it is another moderately challenging platformer.

I have never personally played co-op in Guacamelee, but have heard good things about it.
Giles

Post by Giles »

Aw. That's a shame about City Undercover. They're really quite into their LEGO. Fingers crossed for Jurassic World in June..

Looked out Guacamelee, but it's two-player only. I'm looking for games I can play along with them, really.

We play Mario Kart 8 quite a bit, but I'm not sure how successful I'd be in getting my niece and nephew to race "nice". Think the co-op will need to be inherent and not meta-gaming for me to stand a chance. ;)
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

My daughter ( 9) Really enjoys Sonic all star transformed, might be a nice change of pace from MK. Hyrule Warriors and Smash brothers are always tops with her too. We're both looking forward to Mario party as we played out the Wii one.
Giles

Post by Giles »

I was looking forward to playing Super Smash Bros. with them, but it has a PEGI 12 rating, so was vetoed by my sister-in-law. Hyrule Warriors is rated 12 over here, too. =/
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Both games are tagged as 'non realistic violence towards human characters'.

It's that 'human' aspect that bumps it to a PEGI 12.

I'd argue Smash is at the very low end of the category and would probably be PG if we were still doing BBFC ratings, but what can you do? Hyrule Warriors is a little more violent, and also suffers from Tecmo / Koei character design...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

With the Binding of Isaac Rebirth coming to Wii U, i'd recommend it as a great co-op experience. But the content isn't really suitable...