Sound of Play: 11

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 11

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our podcast about our favourite videogame music - Sound of Play.

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

This show’s presenters were: Leon Cox, Karl Moon and Jay Taylor.

Community contributors were: Robotic Monkey, Giles and Peatear.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Sound of Play intro mash-up by Ryan Hamann.

Track 1: Vessel by Jon Hopkins (Vessel, 2012)
Track 2: Under Cover of Night by Marty O’Donnell and Michael Salvatori (Halo: Combat Evolved, 2001)
Track 3: Helghan Forever by Joris De Man (Killzone 2, 2009)
Track 4: Level 2 by Brad Fuller, Hal Canon (Marble Madness, 1984)
Track 5: Anthem by Bill Brown (Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, 2001)
Track 6: Tears by HEALTH (Max Payne 3, 2012)
Track 7: Paper Boats by Darren Korb & Ashley Barrett (Transistor, 2014)
Track 8: Cruising Line by Manabu Namiki (3D Out Run, 2015)
Track 9: Soviet Connection by Michael Hunter (Grand Theft Auto IV, 2008)

Sound of Play: 11 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Sound of Play: 11

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Hey guys,
Thanks for including the track.

On somewhat of a side-note, I enjoyed the soundtrack to Vessel, and looked into the music, and ended up buying the album 'insides' by Jon Hopkins, which to me had that whole "familiar, but can't quite place why", feel to it. After doing some digging, turns out that Jon Hopkins did the soundtrack to the film 'monsters', which happened to be shown on film 4 in a season of films about, well, monsters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_(2010_film)
It's a good film and well worth a look, it does a lot with that whole less is more approach to monsters in films.

Excellent work with the podcast as always!
Sound of Play is the only podcast on my phone that doesn't auto-delete when it's done, so I can re-listen though a few times.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

by the way, a podcasting question in general.
I use my android phone for listening to most of my podcasts, I also have iTunes at work for the odd podcast here and there does it help your ratings if I download your podcast on both, or does that just eat up your bandwidth?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Downloading it on other devices won't affect our bandwidth to any noticeable degree so you're good to go! :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, and different downloads via different IP addresses will indeed count as separate 'purchases' and so add to our stats, which is cool.
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

I found myself so perfectly on the same page about "under cover of night" and what it felt like in that moment of the game. We played that level over and over again (Ok, we played ALL of the levels over and over again) in Halo: CE and that was always my favorite part. Actually if we got wiped early and it wasn't a checkpoint far enough in I'd restart the level to get that moment and that music again.