Nintendo president Satoru Iwata dies aged 55

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
fieldy

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata dies aged 55

Post by fieldy »

Really sad news:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/0 ... ay_aged_55

He always seemed such a happy man, always with a smile on his face. He did some brilliant things for Nintendo, may he rest in peace :cry:
dezm0nd

Re: Nintendo president Satoru Iwata dies aged 55

Post by dezm0nd »

When people mourn the loss of celebrity, I scratch my head in wonder. "How could someone I've never met affect me?" Now I get it. This guy was my celebrity, creating experiences which have changed my life and I'm gutted. RIP, Iwata. You changed the world.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

55 is no age at all, fucking cancer.

I'll miss Iwata, I've never felt such affection for a suited corporate executive before.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

This is so sad. He was one of the few genuinely positive business people in the industry. You could always tell he had a passion for what he did. This seems like a real shock too, even with the health problems he had recently. He always seemed like he was full of energy and life. It's a great loss to the industry.
James

Post by James »

I couldn't agree more. It was a real shock this morning to hear the sad news.

Like many have said, I really hadn't expected how much this would hit me. An amazingly positive influence on video games and Nintendo. It was always a pleasure to see him presenting and talking about games.
RobC

Post by RobC »

This is such sad news, in such a cynical world it's great that folk like Iwata still focused on having and sharing fun. Nintendo games are always my first port of call when I feel I just need to experience a bit of joy.
Sleep well Iwata-San.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

posted by deep silver on twitter, this really made me well up :cry:

UtterBiblio

Post by UtterBiblio »

When I read this after waking up this morning, I felt pretty crushed. Not only because this was a man who commanded an important role, but for his love of life and everyone around him. His passion for videogames was astounding and he created so many special moments for each of us, that he would never have known about. It's a real shame to see such a monumental figure die at 55, but he leaves an amazing legacy and we get another bright star in the sky.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

That image you posted Fieldy gave me a real pang if sadness. It's lovely.

Iwata was a true icon of the art form we all love so much. He will be sincerely missed.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A heartfelt obituary from Chris Scullion:
http://tiredoldhack.com/2015/07/13/sato ... 1959-2015/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

dezm0nd wrote:When people mourn the loss of celebrity, I scratch my head in wonder. "How could someone I've never met affect me?" Now I get it.
Well yeah, it's about the loss of someone who's creative output is something that's enriched your life. Same with deaths of favourite musicians, actors, authors, anything really. And of course the sense of loss for their family and loved ones.
Beck

Post by Beck »

ratsoalbion wrote:A heartfelt obituary from Chris Scullion:
http://tiredoldhack.com/2015/07/13/sato ... 1959-2015/
Thanks for sharing.
MAp

Post by MAp »

It actually felt like a punch to the gut when I found out about this on Monday (also my birthday, so a weird and very mortal way to start being 30 years old), I know he had health issues but I'm truly broken up to think such a respected head of a creative and fun business will no longer be here to help steer Nintendo's direction. Even though I know many people are slightly put off by some of his greater successes in motion and touch controlled gaming, I always felt I'd much prefer the likes of Iwata and Nintendo in leading a path to reach new people over any other company out there.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Really horrible news. Admired and liked the chap an awful lot. It was obvious he loved his job and role at Nintendo. Hope his vision for the company carries on so my daughter will come to enjoy local multiplayer games when older...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Reading the news about his funeral yesterday. It seems like the fella was mighty popular with 4000 people attending. Incredible tribute to the man.

http://kotaku.com/thousands-attend-two- ... 1718506891