PlayStation Plus (and the PS Store in general)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RobC

Re: PlayStation Plus (and the PS Store in general)

Post by RobC »

Another stellar month for PS plus, I have an ever growng list of PS plus games I intend to play (finally started Valiant hearts this week), Stealth Inc 2 will be joining.

Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris is a fantastic game in my mind, didn't get nearly as much attention as it deserved.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Picked up WRC 4 for Vita - it's good. I'm a huge fan of the early McRae games, and no rally game since seems to have captured the pure fun of the sport. This gets close - Colin McRae 1 & 2 will always be the best rally games I think, especially the first one since you could drive miles off course and the game didn't reset you, but this is almost as good and given the lack of McRae games on the PSN (PS1 classics) I think this is the best I'll get on the Vita. Slightly irritated by the controls forcing you to use the shoulder buttons for accelerate and brake - I'd have liked to use X and SQUARE and you can't remap them, but you can't have everything. Even has cockpit view which works really well despite the small screen.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I know many a RalliSport Challenge fan who would contest that the McRae games are "best".

SEGA Rally Championship 1995 remains my favourite, although (because) it's pure arcade.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'd argue it holds up mighty well too. Playing it at the start of the year on my Saturn was the defining point of 2015 for me so far. I'm not convinced it was just the nostalgia working mizuguchi magic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sega Rally was brilliant, and the only reason I regret selling my Saturn, but McRae will always be my favourite - which is probably a more appropriate word than 'best' ;)
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I'm a bit behind, but Rocket League is absolutely brilliant. I haven't had this much fun since the football game in Rayman Legends
MAp

Post by MAp »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote:I'm a bit behind, but Rocket League is absolutely brilliant. I haven't had this much fun since the football game in Rayman Legends
It really is great, I remember their similar game before and you can see that they've learnt less is more. They have DLC on the way and from what I saw it's just new cars and decorative items which I feel is the right way to go. The only thing they could do that I would be happy to see would be larger pitches to demand even more teamwork.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been looking forward to trying out Playstation Now on Vita ever since it was first announced. Today it finally hit the store.

If Sony really want this to be a viable option for gamers they really need to change it a lot. £4.99 to rent Uncharted for two days!? No thanks, I can buy a physical copy for less. Bizarre pricing structure and lack of demo - at least OnLive let you try before you buy. You'd only need 15 minutes but I really think considering this is an open beta they need to be trying to entice customers in with a more sensible price point and letting people at least try the thing out to see if it's any good before charging them. I'm tempted, for sure - imagine Resi 4 on Vita! But there's no way I'm jumping on this until it's had a major rethink from Sony.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

What does every one think of this vote to play thats going live for PS+. I have mixed feeling about it, on one side its cool that players have a bit of control over the "freebies" on the other the public does not always make the right decesions.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It sounds like it's going to be a case of picking from a shortlist rather than an open vote.

So three games listed, one with the most votes gets in. From the first list they've put up it looks like we'll only be voting for the indie slot, the AAA slot will probably still be business lead and not publicly voted on.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've just bought a Sony tv and got a free dualshock and 6 free rentals as PS Now is built in so I'll let you know how it is.

Pricing is ridiculous, I'd pay the same as I pay for PS+ for it nothing more.

Microsoft seem to be banging on about being able to play 360 games for free I'm presuming you have to own them first?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo wrote:It sounds like it's going to be a case of picking from a shortlist rather than an open vote.

So three games listed, one with the most votes gets in. From the first list they've put up it looks like we'll only be voting for the indie slot, the AAA slot will probably still be business lead and not publicly voted on.
I thought they were doing a pretty great job without democratic input myself. If I thought it would stop people bitching then I'd be all for it, but it won't so whatever.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think a good idea for PS+ and a good promotional tool for PS Now, would be to allow PS+ subscribers one free 2 day rental per month. I'd be a lot more inclined to spend money on it if I had a better idea of how it would run on my console.
DomsBeard wrote:I've just bought a Sony tv and got a free dualshock and 6 free rentals as PS Now is built in so I'll let you know how it is.

Pricing is ridiculous, I'd pay the same as I pay for PS+ for it nothing more.

Microsoft seem to be banging on about being able to play 360 games for free I'm presuming you have to own them first?
Cool, TV integration sounds pretty good.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Im still sketchy on all this PS Now stuff. If i wanted to rent a game for 2 days(which i dont at those astronomical prices), does the rental time commence after i pay Sony? Or is it when i start to play the game? Cause with my download speed it could take the 2 days to download said game, depending on its gb size.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The whole point of PS Now is that you don't download the game, you stream it from their servers. (Did you ever try OnLive? It's the same).

The rental time starts from the first time you play the game, not when you complete the transaction. You have up to 30 days to start the game.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Haha, worse again. OnLive would not work on my connection. So even if i wanted to use PS Now, i couldn't. So i guess its PS Never.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You can do a connection test within the PS Now app (at least on the Vita) so it could be worth checking. But again, this is why the service won't get anywhere without demos.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

I'll be honest Alex & say i couldnt give a monkeys about PS Now. It sounded a lame idea when i heard it first & seeing how much they are charging its an absolutely laughable service. Its not activated on the Irish PSN store yet & i dont really care if it never activates. I have hundreds of games sitting on my shelves or on hard drives waiting to be played, many i will never get round to. So i can safely say this service will not have any games that i am interested in that i dont already own or have played. Also, it seems i could actually buy a copy of said games for cheaper than their rental prices. Sony missfire methinks.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

Looks like usual Sony issues, good idea, badly implemented. Will prob now be left unsupported & will die on its arse. (See vita memory card )
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If I was Mr Sony I would have allowed all the games that have been PS+ titles on PS3 appear on PS Now for free for PS+ owners.

As I never owned a PS3 it is something I am interested in if it works well. Once I get my freebie codes I'm going to give Dead Space 3 a run out.