Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Comics (Batman, and other comics in general...)

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone read Batman '66? I've read a few now, they're quite fun, and (obviously) remind me of the golden age stories from the really old comics I've recently read.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Alex79uk wrote:Anyone read Batman '66? I've read a few now, they're quite fun, and (obviously) remind me of the golden age stories from the really old comics I've recently read.
I've not read them myself, but I know some people who have and they say nothing but good things.

A friend of mine is a huge Green Hornet fan so loved the crossover issues they did featuring him.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

2000AD was my thing, in now subscribing to the Dredd mega collection & have to say been very impressed so far, loving having all classic stories & ones I've not read in one collection
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm trying to find some new (not necessarily NEW new, just new to me) stuff to read. Non superhero, preferably. I think I've read - or am reading - most of the considered 'greats', like Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Y The Last Man, Sandman etc etc, but I'm struggling to find anything I can really get in to that I've not read already. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the entire Fables run and I'm really loving that at the moment, I'd never read much of it before but it's really very good.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and investigated :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Outcast?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd never heard of it - it looks interesting, cheers Leon :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Pretty much anything by Brian Wood. Try DMZ for something pretty topical...
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Flabyo wrote:Pretty much anything by Brian Wood. Try DMZ for something pretty topical...
Agreed, I have a bunch of Brian Wood stuff from the early 2000's like the excellent CousCous Express and Channel Zero but found some of his later works like Supermarket were sadly lacking the spark that his earlier stuff had.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Alex79uk wrote:I'm trying to find some new (not necessarily NEW new, just new to me) stuff to read. Non superhero, preferably. I think I've read - or am reading - most of the considered 'greats', like Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Y The Last Man, Sandman etc etc, but I'm struggling to find anything I can really get in to that I've not read already. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the entire Fables run and I'm really loving that at the moment, I'd never read much of it before but it's really very good.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and investigated :)
Give Prez a go, it's a really unexpected great new book from DC. Only 3 issues in so really easy to catch up on. Based on what you already like I think you'll dig it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've got massively back in to reading comics over the last few weeks. I always have done but I'll go a while without reading then try to put more effort in.

I started re-reading The Sandman series which is still amazing, as well as trying to finish off the Batman New 52 run. I've started on the Planet Hulk/World War Hulk saga now which is excellent - never been in to Marvel but enjoying this and hoping it'll pave the way for more reading.

Anyway, what I'm asking is does anyone know of any pirate comics or graphic novels? Comics are written about almost everything you can think of but I've never come across any piracy stories.

Anyone aware of any good ones? Ta!

EDIT: Also, apologies to everyone who left a reply above! I can see now I didn't respond to several of them at the time, how rude! Sorry :oops:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I had no idea there was a comic book thread!.

I started collecting every issue of Rebirth when DC had that reboot in early 2015. I have every issue one and rebirth issue they released. I have carried on reading single issues of Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Batman, Batwoman and Batgirl. I have the full set of Batman, Batgirl and Batwoman's New 52 run (Batgirl is the best by far)

I'm not really into Marvel but I am currently reading and enjoying Avengers v Xmen.

I need to go and get Saga volume 8 from my local indie comic book store. I'm still gutted one of my favourite characters was killed off in volume 7.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool, I'm going to start on the Rebirth run once I've finished New 52. I only collected the Batman book, but I have all of them - the only complete collection I own other than Sandman.

My sister lent me the Saga 1-3 TPB's, and I really want to get in to them but haven't had a chance yet.
DomsBeard

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by DomsBeard »

Saga is amazing.

Green Lanterns is my favourite rebirth run. Never been a GL fan (I don't read the Hal Jordan version). It is based on two new lanterns
KYUSS

Post by KYUSS »

Started the Batman run... The war of riddles and jokes. So far it’s excellent. I bought the trade paperback on ComiXology for about £3 in the sale.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's the Rebirth book 4 right? How does Rebirth compare to the New 52 run? I've always loved Batman, but New 52 came along and blew me away with the quality of the stories, they really reignited a series which some might say had become a little stale, and in Death Of The Family we saw what I believe was frankly the most psychotic, terrifying Joker the series has ever seen.
KYUSS

Post by KYUSS »

I don’t know to be honest mate. I dip in and out when I hear about great arcs or runs.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: January 13th, 2018, 11:30 am That's the Rebirth book 4 right? How does Rebirth compare to the New 52 run? I've always loved Batman, but New 52 came along and blew me away with the quality of the stories, they really reignited a series which some might say had become a little stale, and in Death Of The Family we saw what I believe was frankly the most psychotic, terrifying Joker the series has ever seen.
Really enjoyed volume 1 the others are so so. I have issue 30 onwards to read so I am mid way through volume 4. I am way behind in my reading!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

EDIT: Also started From Hell again. It's incredible.

EDIT 2: Bollocks, managed to delete my whole original post! Oh well... :oops: :twisted:
KYUSS

Post by KYUSS »

Do you guys know about the Humble Bundle deals that pop up now and again?
They are excellent value and some of the money goes to charity.
It’s a brilliant way to buy digital comics.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/fan- ... hic-novels

This is the latest bundle.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh wow I had no idea that was a thing, thanks!