Ori and the Blind Forest

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Ori and the Blind Forest

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can write up your thoughts and opinions Moon Studios' 2015 platform adventure videogame - Ori and the Blind Forest.
Suits

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest

Post by Suits »

I picked this up in the Xbox One GOTY sales for £8.99 - pretty emotional start !!

Anyway, I just did the water rush bit out of the tree - intense :shock: .
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

This game was planted firmly on my radar after it's spectacular introduction at Microsoft's 2014 e3 presentation.
The game's rich, studio Ghibli esque aesthetic and luscious animation stood out even amongst a string of other higher profile announcements that year.

The critical reception at launch sealed the deal for me but I only came to the game 9 months after release and have just finished it.

Greeted by THAT heartbreaking intro, a masterful piece of visual storytelling worthy of Disney at it's peak,  the game immediately gives you all the motivation you need to see Ori's adventure to it's equally moving conclusion.

From there the story takes a back seat to reveal a surprisingly punishing 2d platformer with a focus on exploration and locomotion.

The game wears it's inspirations on its sleeve, playing like the love child of Super Meat Boy and the recent Ubi-Art Rayman titles set out across a single large map gated by metroidvania style progression.

From a simple starting move set the game's  upgrade path quickly kits you out with a huge range of abilities which increase your options of traversing it's world, dealing with it's enemies and meeting the increasingly difficult but expertly crafted platforming challenges the game throws your way. 

The abilities also open up paths previously closed off to you in a very organic way, using your increasing mobility as a means to reach previously inaccessible areas and collectables while pushing the ever compulsive map completion percentage closer to 100%.
The bash upgrade is a particular highlight, turning enemies from obstacles that slow player movement to yet another tool to slingshot you around the environment.

By the game's latter stages Ori becomes a protagonist of almost unparalleled agility, his ( her?) momentum limited only by the players dexterity.

This empowering of the player is the game's greatest strength and allows it's designers to create some truly devious level design, confident in the fact that they've given you all the tools you need to overcome it, while the innovative manual checkpoint mechanic mitigates the frustration of failure...to an extent.

The game is not without it's failings however.  Combat lacks punch and polish, and the bash mechanic renders it almost pointless, making it far quicker and more efficient  to simply skip past enemies than engage them.

The enemies themselves also lack the attention to visual design seen elsewhere in the game, many of them just amorphous, different coloured blobs.
Conversely, the environments are occasionally overdrawn and visually busy for a game that requires pixel perfect precision, notably in the various chase sequences that while spectacular to look at, become rote trial and error rather than a test of skill.

Finally, the game's relative brevity doesn't always allow it's numerous and complex movement mechanics to breath. The high jump received late in the game for example, required only a handful of times before the credits roll whereas entire levels are built around earlier upgrades.

These are minor gripes however and only stand out because the quality displayed elsewhere.
Ori and the Blind Forest is a heady mix of beautiful art and sound, subtle but compelling storytelling and precise mechanics which for the most part, work together in harmony to form a very satisfying whole.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

One of my favourite games of the year, you would have to have a heart of stone to not have a lump in the throat during the opening sequence and then the game itself is a very competent metroidvania style platformer (I wander how many times that word will occur in the podcast?).

The mechanics aren't as polished as the graphics, with some of the fighting and movement feeling a little bit 'loose'. There are some exciting escape sequences but apart from these a lot of the level design seemed a little linear for a game of this type.

Ori is still a lot of fun despite these shortcomings, the visual style is breathtaking, the skills are fun and the feeling of getting stronger as the game progresses is perfectly handled. Some of the final sections are the most imaginative of the whole game and the final sequence is just as awesome as the opening.
Yacobg42

Post by Yacobg42 »

The first time I played Ori and the Blind Forest, I stopped just short of the end- Not because I didn't like it, but because I actually was enjoying it so much that the idea of it ending broke my heart a little bit, and somehow stopping playing seemed like the better option. I came back to it recently and played to completion, and I'm so glad I did.

The opening is what everyone talks about for this game, but what was likely unique to me is that, when playing through the second time, I burst into tears as soon as Ori's happy music started. I think I may have been particularly emotionally vulnerable that afternoon, but knowing what was to come made even those few happy moments just crushing to me. I would mostly attribute this to the simply unbelievable score; without it, I'm not sure the games nature/fantasy aesthetic would have stuck for me, but the music instantly put me in a place where I was ready to take on the lovely, if not unpredictable, story beats.

In terms of gameplay, the "bash" ability was a total game-changer. I enjoyed the platforming before, and the custom checkpoint system definitely added a nice amount of player control, but "bash" turned the game into a beautiful sort of dance. I feel like I rarely touched the ground after getting it, and the platforming seemed to get much more ambitious after this point. The joy of Ori's movement in the late game brought a real smile to my face.

There were several impressive setpieces throughout the game, and I liked all of them (the last one especially felt wonderfully frantic), but nothing matched the escape from the flooding tree. The rushing water combined with the first time really using Bash, and that absolutely incredible score, make this my favorite escape sequence in a game ever. When I first beat it, I realized my hands were shaking. It'll always be what I think of when I think of the game.

In terms of flaws, all I can really say is the combat, with the exception of Bash, is never really interesting, and I found out in the very late game that I had infuriatingly missed a couple pickups in the tree, so I couldn't 100% it. That being said, I really, truly loved Ori and the Blind Forest.
MrFlashbax

Post by MrFlashbax »

Dear Cane and Rinse podcast,

I haven't posted on a message board since the early 2000's, but upon learning that you would be discussing Ori and the Blind Forest, I was compelled to break my long internet silence, if for no other reason than to share a deep appreciation for a game that is very close to my heart. I do not say these words lightly, as the last time I felt about a game this way was when I played Chrono Trigger for the first time in 1998.

I owe my love for this game to my lovely girlfriend, who is not much of a gamer, but has a very keen eye for art (although, she does have a tendency to mix up the colors blue and black at times). Early on in our relationship I had learned that she loved Limbo, but had only played a few games on occasion. Knowing that video games are a huge passion in my life, she urged me to introduce her to a few so that she may share in my passion. Is she not wonderful? I promptly made her a Steam account and got her a few games like Undertale and To The Moon, but nothing really stuck. But seeing as how she does have a passion for art, and being an amazing painter herself, I figured maybe she could find a liking for Ori for nothing if not the amazing visuals. And boy, did she.

Within less than a minute she was hooked, and so was I. The sound direction, the visuals, the compelling characters, and that heartfelt intro with Ori bonding with his adoptive mother and losing her shortly thereafter, reminiscent of the Pixar film “Up”. Ori had us firmly in his paws.

Not enough praise can be bestowed upon Ori for its art direction, but the game itself also worked tremendously well for me to demonstrate to my girlfriend what proper video games are at their core. It was a matter of recognizing patterns, determining the proper course of action, and then proper execution. The level design and enemy placements worked in such a way that nothing ever felt cheap or impossible. It was only a matter of diligence. I was amazed to find that my girlfriend, who is not very confident in her gaming abilities to put it mildly, was actually determined to progress on her own rather than handing the controller over to get her past anything.

I do admit that I initially started playing the game only to get a little ahead of her so that I can help her figure it out if she got stuck. But uncovering the map and picking up orbs soon became an obsession, and before I knew it, I was making a mad dash toward the end through an erupting volcano with a giant bird chasing me down.

My sincerest apologies for this post getting to be a bit on the longer side, but not enough can be said about Ori and the Blind Forest. And it would be a disservice not to at least mention the amazing soundtrack. It is the most played piece of work on my phone, second only to the Cane and Rinse podcast. But to be fair, the podcast has it beat in terms of volume.

This game cannot be recommended enough to everyone who has any interest not only in video games, but in art in general. I believe Ori will stand the test of time to become one of the timeless classics to age with grace and beauty to be enjoyed for generations to come.
gildedlink

Post by gildedlink »

Ori and the Blind Forest is most amazing because of how thematically tight the story is. Mechanically, visually and audibly the game is sublime, but the crowning achievement to me is how consistent the story gets across its themes of misunderstanding and sacrifice. The characters in Ori all act according to their nature, are all the victims of a miscommunication due to these actions, and all have to sacrifice something for another in order to restore a natural balance to their world, whether it's a conscious decision or not. The storm that precipitates all of this serves to underline that no one character is responsible for the way the world has become. The Spirit Tree didn't necessarily realize that Ori was safe, and called out to it with its light, acting on its nature. To make things right, the Spirit Tree uses the last of its power later to restore Ori to life. Kuro interprets the Spirit Tree's light as an attack on her nest and seeks to destroy the threat to her other fledgling out of both rage and fear, as is her nature. Her sacrifice comes at the end of the game, realizing that her fledgling's life mattered more than revenge. Noru doesn't realize that Ori has a place in the world with the spirit tree, seeing its light and growing fearful and trying to protect Ori. She sacrifices her last bit of food for Ori's survival, condemning herself to death for the one she cares about. Gumo reverts to selfish fear, thinking the Gumon clan had holed themselves up and it was left to fend for itself. Its sacrifice to Ori in good faith helps Ori to restore the world and it learns from this. Ori didn't realize its own nature, and spent a happy life with Noru without realizing there was a home elsewhere- simply living by its nature. Ori's final sacrifice, which the game builds up to, would not be possible without the actions of the other 4 sacrificing for another. The game's musical themes and world follow this cyclical pattern that reflects how nature leads to events like this that can cause pain but bring out the best in others. It's a powerful story that serves as the engine for a stellar effort that in every way going to be regarded a timeless classic for years to come. Now if only the studio could fix the steam store page for the game so I could gift it to others.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Decided to go back and get the cheap upgrade on XBONE to the definitive edition. Can't see how I get it on the store, there's the definitive edition at £10 odd by no mention of an upgrade. I have the original bought and installed, any thoughts?
RobC

Post by RobC »

If anyone else has been inspired to return for the definitive edition, I've been told by xbox support that the upgrade is unavailable on the marketplace during the summer sale for *reasons*. Will be back on the 12th.