Games completed 2016

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Games completed 2016

Post by dezm0nd »

It's time to kick off another year of finishing games!

Jan 1: Fallout 4.

Finished Fallout 4 but i'm not done with it. Gonna head back in every now and then and do as much trophy hunting as I can. It's the first Fallout game I've finished and that's largely down to the improved shooting.
Alex79

Re: Games completed 2016

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Bastion (PS Vita)

I did not enjoy a single aspect of this game, and I can't for the life of me understand how it's so highly regarded. I'm not saying anyone who likes it is wrong (of course I'm not saying that) but it did nothing for me whatsoever. I've heard the story praised - I played the entire game without having a clue what was going on really, the tiny graphics were annoying (a problem with the small Vita screen perhaps?) and the combat was dull, uninspired and repetitive. Not a great start for the year, but the only way is up!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Might be worth giving our Bastion podcast another listen after that!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Already downloaded and ready to go! :)
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Halo 2 (master chief collection, normal)

I remember being really let down when I played this on the original Xbox and thought it didn't live up to the first one, but I really enjoyed it this time, perhaps more than 5.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Will actually contribute to this thread this year.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Jan 2 - Fallout 4 (ending was oooo bad :( )
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Bastion (PS Vita)

I did not enjoy a single aspect of this game, and I can't for the life of me understand how it's so highly regarded.
The soundtrack's pretty good though!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I didn't really notice it that much when I was playing, but listening to the tracks that were on the podcast you recorded I do like them, yeah. As for the rest of the game... I don't know, I think two things spoiled it for me. I'd built it up in my own head over a number of years as a game I really needed to play, and aside from that it wasn't that long ago I played through Ys: The Oath In Felghana, which although not really the same game, the second to second gameplay and combat were very similar to Bastion. Only much, much better.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Alex79uk wrote:I didn't really notice it that much when I was playing, but listening to the tracks that were on the podcast you recorded I do like them, yeah. As for the rest of the game... I don't know, I think two things spoiled it for me. I'd built it up in my own head over a number of years as a game I really needed to play, and aside from that it wasn't that long ago I played through Ys: The Oath In Felghana, which although not really the same game, the second to second gameplay and combat were very similar to Bastion. Only much, much better.
I'm glad to hear you say all of this. Bastion on Vita is next up on my list and I probably have similarly sky-high expectations. Lowering those expectations is probably a good thing to do before I play it.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Spoiler: show
Halo 2 (master chief collection, normal)
Halo 3 (master chief collection, normal)
Just completed Halo 3 within the master chief collection. First time I have played it since it got released on the 360, I remember enjoying it but not thinking it was anything revolutionary and still have the same opinion now. I think halo 2 has more going for it, but was still good fun. On to number 4!
macstat

Post by macstat »

Jan 2 - Fallout 4 (ending was soooo bad :( )
Jan 3 - Assassins Creed Syndicate

2016 resolution. To actually finish games :)
Next in line: Ori and the Blind Forest, I'm at 56% completion on this one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

03 Jan: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (WU)
Featuring extensive (ab)use of walkthroughs and save-scumming.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Jan 2 - Fallout 4
Jan 3 - Assassins Creed Syndicate
Jan 5 - Gunpoint

Ok going back to Ori :P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

5th Jan - Wolfenstein: The New Order (XBO)

I have pretty mixed feelings on this one.

I love the characters and voice acting, I love the way unlocking perks is driven directly by player skill rather than by filling up an arbitrary XP bar.

But the signposting is all over the shop, and the boss battles are for the most part pretty bad. Either you stumble around easily avoiding death but making no progress until someone comes on the radio telling you what you're meant to be doing, or you stumble around and die a lot until you look it up on Gamefaqs. Some very 'old school' game design here, and not in a good way.

Still going to play 'The Old Blood' at some point, but I think I need a break from this universe for a little while.
RobC

Post by RobC »

First of the year for me is Mario & Luigi Paper Jam bros (3DS). Hammered this pretty hard over Christmas while I was doing a lot of travelling, overall it was great fun. It dragged a bit towards the end, overall I put about 35 hours in and I don't really feel there was enough there to make those 35 great hours.

Onto Xenoblade 3D next.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

RobC wrote:Onto Xenoblade 3D next.
See you in August!
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

So far I completed Psychonauts this year. I then listened to the Psychonauts podcast! I was really excited to hear the opinions on the game from the Cane and Rinse crew, and I was actually a little surprised by how negative it sounded at first.

I gotta say I do agree with most of the criticisms and I suppose the podcast did change how I feel about the game a bit. I never really noticed how the platforming mechanics were sub-par to average. I guess I was too caught up in the story to notice. The writing is so good that I can forgive it and I'd still consider the game a classic because my overall experience playing the game was very enjoyable.

I'm really not sure what's next on my list. I really wanna get back to MGS5. It's been a long time since I've played that. But I have so many games in my backlog right now.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

First game for 2016: Bastion I really enjoyed this quaint little game. Loved seeing the story unfold piece by piece like the floor rising. Simple combat, too many weapons. I didn't like when I set a load out only to find a new weapon to replace one of them. I also really enjoyed the music. I going to try Transistor on my PS4 now. Kinda wish that game was on the Vita. The short levels worked for me with Bastion. Now to New Game Plus.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Assassins Creed Liberation HD - PSN.