Fargo (TV show)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Combine Hunter

Fargo (TV show)

Post by Combine Hunter »

Just finished the first season of this TV show, and it's REALLY good. I mean proper upper echelon of TV drama good. Highlights include Billy Bob Thornton's menacing but also humourous portrayal of Lorne Malvo and Allison Tolman's fantastic performance as Molly Solverson. Took me awhile to realise Malvo was Mr. Thornton, because he's sporting such a different look than he normally does in this show. Unlike True Detective, it sounds like Season 2 is even better, so I'm looking forward to digging into that.

But yeah, really surprised by how good this movie spin off is. It could have easily come off as an awkward fan service-y project, but the result is a smart, well executed continuation of the 1996 movie's themes, that stands as its equal in a different medium of storytelling.

Have you guys checked this out? Because if it continues to be this good, it might be talked about in the same way The Wire and Breaking Bad are.

Here's a little clip, to give you a taster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKpBrElvTYk
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Fargo (TV Show)

Post by JaySevenZero »

I saw this a while back and thought it was fantastic, in fact I bloody loved it! I started watching it mainly because I was curious as to how they would do it and was suitably impressed by the way it re-worked the Coen original, at times feeling like both a continuation and a remake. I too was captivated by Tolman and Thornton's performances along with Martin Freeman, who I felt put in a career best as Lester Nygaard.

I haven't got around to the second season yet but I will because once again I'm curious to see where they go since it's set in 1979 but with some characters returning as younger versions of themselves.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Hmmm. I tried to watch it but kind of came away with the impression that it was too close to the film (which I adore), to the point where it just seemed like a needlessly overlong remake made with a significantly lower budget. Part of what makes the film so great is that its so compact and self-contained. Perhaps it diverges from the plot of the movie later on, but there wasn't really much in those first few episodes to make me want to carry on with it.

I like Freeman in other things, but found his presence in this (and his game attempt at a Minnesota accent) to be distracting more than anything.

I've heard that season 2 is better though.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Season 2 is great. Overall, some of my favourite TV I've watched.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

dezm0nd wrote:Season 2 is great. Overall, some of my favourite TV I've watched.
I agree, I'm only three episodes in so far but the premise and the characters has me hooked. I was curious as to where they would go after the excellent first season as it felt quite self-contained but they've once again delivered the goods.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Oh, and another thing that I love about this series - the music. Both the score and the use of licensed tracks is spot on, especially episode 3 which opened with this blindin' track from 1971

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

YES! That track is incredible.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

And Nick Offerman is the lord of all televisual facial hair - be it moustache, a Lincoln or full-on beard, the gentleman is a pogonotrophy god!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Finished Season 2. Overall, I loved it more than Season 1. There were some choices in the last two episodes that I thought were misjudged. Some sub-text becoming so prominent, that it became text. Some 4th wall breaking that felt uncharacteristic of the show. But overall, brilliant.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

See I loved series 1, like Jay I agree Freeman put in a career best, and Thornton was superb. This time round, I feel like there are too many cooks, and things feel too spelled out for me. I'm 4 episodes in and I'm nowhere near as hooked as I was during the first season. Maybe Meth Damon is the issue? Maybe I'm doing it wrong... Really hoping it'll click properly the next episode or two.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Meth Damon is awesome by the end, I think I preferred the second season once I had watched the whole thing. Though I still think Thornton is the best thing about both series.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I think Season 2 is stronger overall, but I agree that Lorne Malvo is the strongest character from either season.