The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by JaySevenZero »

macstat wrote:One of my favorite (besides those that were posted already) is The Fields of Ard Skellig. I just love listening to this. It really has this feel of huge open space, freedom, wind blowing from the sea while you're climbing cold mountains of Skellige islands. At the same time it has a tone of longing in it that makes you think about things of the past. Or maybe im just crazy ;)
It's one of mine too, which is why it was selected as part of the playlist on Sound of Play No.29! :D
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

lessthantv wrote:Another first time poster here, seems to be a common occurence in this thread :)
It certainly does! :)

Thanks for taking the time to join in and offer us your selection!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Have we had anything from the Geometry Wars games? The music is a large part of the 'feel' of those games, they somehow don't feel to me like they'd work without it.

Here's 'Deadline' from Geometry Wars 2

(And for a laugh, you could open one of the shows with 'Play of the Game' from Overwatch, it's almost Pavlovian now... maybe it's a little over played already though)
macstat

Post by macstat »

Flabyo, they should close with it and call it "Song of the game" :D

Its time to throw something from Witcher Blood and WIne :) And because I dont want to spoil anything by giving name of the song i will post something innocent ;) Ladies and Gentlemen, behold new Gwent music ! Track i want to nominate starts at 2:19 and ends at 5:10. Unfortunately time stamps dont work with [youtube] tag :(

Good Shot Janson

Post by Good Shot Janson »

One of my favorite moments from the silent hill series also makes me sick inside: the abandonment of Lisa Garland. This is "Not Tomorrow" by Akira Yamaoka

Dingle Dongle

Post by Dingle Dongle »

Ape Escape may be my favourite game of all time. It is the game I keep coming back to, the game that will always be an option. I've beaten the game more times than I can count and it's whole soundtrack is such a blast, from beginning to end, with it's multiple song's per level being my first of such an experience. But the song that leaves me with a smile on my face is the credits theme. Where I can look back at may day of pure enjoyment, only to realise I still have to catch the rest of those darn monkeys to finish up...and that's never a negative
macstat

Post by macstat »

Another one from Stardew Valley, this time more cheerful. I'm little surprised that while i got little tired of game itself (waiting for new patch!) i'm still listening to its OST :)

DrRichardHead

Post by DrRichardHead »

Please excuse me if this track has been suggested and or played before. If it hasn't please let me champion it.
Summer Fields from the original Fable is a wonderfully small but complex piece. It's subtle yet has impact Summer Firlds is alluring & atmospheric. In lock step with some of Jermey Soules work on TES: Oblivion.

matten zwei

Post by matten zwei »

since we've seen the new mass effect teaser, i'd thought some of you might like to hear this track.
a couple of years ago i've made a mass effect remix, or actually it's a mash up of mass effects "uncharted worlds" and the music from the squad selection screen. I hope you like it. credits go to Sam Hulick & Jack Wall.

macstat

Post by macstat »

Monkey Island was in this thread and on the show a couple of times but it still has a lot of tracks that people should hear. This time its a Jazzy track from swamps of Plunder Island in Curse of the Monkey Island.

Traktorion

Post by Traktorion »

This thread is getting really long so I'm not sure what has been requested and played on the podcast already.
Anyway I got two contributions.
Firstly I'd like to request the intro from the origianal Donkey Kong Country. This was hands down my favorite video game of my youth, I loved every second of it and I played it to death. One time I sat down and played the entire game beginning to end in one sitting. I don't know if that is an achievement in itself but it sure was to my 8 year old mind. Some times i just left the intro of the game rolling so I could hear the beautifull music. This tune is forever etched into my memory and my heart.

The Donkey Kong Country soundtrack was composed by David Wise with contributions from Eveline Fischer and Robin Beanland as far as I can tell.

The next track is much more resent, at least for me. I never had a playstation in my youth so I just recently cought up with the Metal Gear Solid series. I just finished the original Metal Gear Solid and even thought it has aged quite badly it is still possible to see what a great game it must have been in 98 when it released. Im sure I would have been impressed with both the graphics and the ambitious storytelling. Anyway I really enjoyed the game and the end credits song just tops it off perfectly.

Written and produced by Rika Muranaka
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks for the requests Traktorion, I've sorted the links for you.

We featured The Best is Yet to Come in Sound of Play 32:
http://caneandrinse.com/sop_32/
:)
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

I've been playing through MGS5 once more in an effort to hit the 100% and I got thinking about the first stealth game I ever played.

Turns out from my old collection and that dubious honour seems to belong to the Master System port of Bonanza Brothers. Memories of engineering chase sequences just to open doors in cylindrical people's faces came flooding back. I fired up the master system for the first time in about 25 years to check it out and it's pretty woeful...perhaps a game best left alone.

What was fascinating to me was that this cheeky soundtrack appears hilariously at odds with the genre. As the game progresses, the soundtrack appears to make no consideration for the fact that essentially a stealth game, it's cheeky....with the exception to a few tracks towards the beginning one one "Bonanza Elegy".

Mononoke

Post by Mononoke »

Thank you for playing my tracks in issues 46 and 47, I was very pleased to hear them on the airwaves!

I thought it was about time to provide some more.

For my first pick I'm going with a relatively new game that I only played recently - Child of Light. The track in question is Metal Gleamed in the Twilight (Full Choir Version). A very pithy title I think. I enjoyed my time with Child of Light's pretty art style and by-the-numbers turn based combat but the only thing that has stayed with me is the music, composed by the lovely Coeur de pirate whose work is only made all the more impressive by being composed by someone with the word 'pirate' in their name. Seriously though its a great soundtrack that varies from children's bedtime story, piano-twiddling music to this type of track - epic and driving choral bombast, which is perfect for the battles that it constantly plays over!

For my second pick I'm going with one of my all time favourite pieces of video game music from one of my all time favourite video game soundtracks that is part of one of my all time favourite video game series...and my all time favourite FPS' so that's a lot of all times! The track is called 'Unforgotten' from Halo 2 by the estimable Martin O'Donnell. This is by far one of the most iconic and stirring of pieces from a soundtrack and series filled with iconic and stirring pieces! There is a lot that can be said of Martin O'Donnell's work on the Halo series but I think you only really need to listen to this emotionally resonant piece to recognise his talent. This piece has a few other more produced iterations in the later Halo games but it is the original that I feel the most connected to due to the incredible amount of time I put in to Halo 2 and 3. Indeed, this piece is found within both of those games' menu screens almost exclusively - it doesn't actually play much at all during the campaigns - but perhaps the fact I have heard it so much as a result, and that it is such an affecting piece of music, has only made it all the more memorable.

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Having finnished Aria of Sorrow one of the aspects of the game I felt was a little bit disapointing was the music,wasnt very memorable to me, so I went on youtube to listen to some Castlevania music and I found this great copilation of tracks from all the games up to Lords of Shadow 2,some great stuff and I didnt even know half of these existed:

Good Shot Janson

Post by Good Shot Janson »

If you grew up watching the 80's anime Area 88, the game you wanted to play was not UN Squadron, it was Ace Combat 2. The Ace Combat series may have lost its way, but at its peak it was a fine source of arcade flight action fun. While Zero is undoubtedly the best game in the series, Ace Combat 2 will forever be my favorite. It lacked the whining and overcomplated narratives of the later titles. It's campaign was pure in its simplicity. Mission and enemy variety was unparalleled for a console flight game, and the graphics were stunnIng.
then there is the score. Ranging from electronic beats to a wailing guitar (the latter of which made me feel like I was IN an episode of Area 88) perfectly match the environments and missions they accompany. My immediate pick for the podcast is Warning Line. This track plays during Operation Tin Castle: a midnight sortie in which you are tasked with clearing the skies of fighters while suppressing enemy air defense. It's a frantic mission that makes you feel like an absolute ace once the last antiaircraft gun has been silenced. This is Warning Line by Kohta Takahashi, Hiroshi Okubo, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, Nobuhide Isayama and Go Shiina.

Nekojin

Post by Nekojin »

Hey guys, new poster here and all that. Thanks for always putting on such a great show, I work nights with a lot of driving and the C&R podcast along with SoP are in my regular lineup to keep things from getting boring. I've been wanting to request a song for a while now, and I think now is the right time to do so.

The game is Monster Hunter, the composers are Masato Kouda, and Tetsuya Shibata (as usual with Japanese credits, I can't find out who is responsible for this particular track), and the song is the credit's theme of the first game, titled 'Proof of a Hero'.

I have loved Monster Hunter since the very first time I played it on the PS2. At the time of release, there was no other game like it. Online play against huge, deadly enemies with no way to gauge your effectiveness against them other than the reactions of the monster you're fighting. A deep, fluid combat system that rewarded mastery and punished button mashing. And the sweet, sweet taste of long awaited victory over a powerful enemy. In a time when, I feel, games had been becoming easier and easier, Monster Hunter was an entirely new animal, and I have sunk countless hours into it's many iterations since the first release.

The main theme of the game encapsulates everything I love about the series. It makes me think of grand vistas and picturesque landscapes, the thrill of the hunt, and a heroic last stand turned into an incredible victory. I love this track and I hope that the emotions it evokes in other listeners is at least half of what I feel when I hear it.

A new iteration of the series is due out on July 15th, and it would be awesome if you could help me celebrate a new release in my favorite series of games.

Once again, thanks for the incredible work you guys do, and I look forward to hearing whatever surprises and music you have lined up in the future. Cheers!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welome Nekojin!
Thanks for the very kind words and also for the excellent request.
:)
Craig

Post by Craig »

I've previously raved about the brilliant N64 Ganbare Goemon's soundtracks, but going back the series has consistently had great music. They're high energy songs with influences from pop, rock, jazz and Japanese Enka. Here's one from the excellent second Super Famicom game which the Super Famicom does a remarkable job with traditional Japanese instruments.

As with most of Konami's properties, Ganbare Goemon is dead. The series saw an awful charmless reboot for the PS2 and then a wonderfully styled DS game which borrows heavily from Japanese paintings but still retains all the quirky oddness the series is known for.

Also, like most Konami series it lives on through Pachinko Slot machines. I was delighted to find this track when searching on YouTube is an updated version of many old Goemon songs including this Super Famicom composition. Every cloud has a silver lining.

So here is "Running through the Pine Corridor" from "Pachislot Ganbare Goemon 2" originally from "Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Magginesu."

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Nekojin wrote:Hey guys, new poster here and all that. Thanks for always putting on such a great show, I work nights with a lot of driving and the C&R podcast along with SoP are in my regular lineup to keep things from getting boring. I've been wanting to request a song for a while now, and I think now is the right time to do so....Once again, thanks for the incredible work you guys do, and I look forward to hearing whatever surprises and music you have lined up in the future. Cheers!
Thanks Neko, glad you're enjoying our output! :)