Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Xbox One

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Scrustle wrote:Has anyone bought an Xbox One controller lately? Preferably if you've already got an older one too. I ask because I heard on some podcast lately that apparently they change the construction of them at some point, and the bumpers have been vastly improved. Somehow I had not heard about this before. Those stiff bumpers are my biggest problem with the controller, at least in my experience with a launch day version. So I'd like to hear how a newer controller compares with these supposedly better bumpers.
Bit late with my view on this one but in case it's helpful....

I've got a Day One pad and also an Elite pad (so not a direct comparison) and for me there is a big difference in the triggers. The Elite has a nicer action to it I think, and you can also adjust the amount of travel the triggers have to make it shorter and the button press more immediate. Great for shooters where you want to shoot instantly (I need all the help I can get!).

Overall I can't recommend the Elite controller highly enough if it's within your price range. Can be picked up for about £100 if you shop around, and it really does feel worth it. The build quality vs the standard pad (which I still think is great) is night and day, with a fantastic weight and solidity to it. All the customisation options are nifty too.

Would go as far as saying its probably the best pad I've ever used on any system.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:
Scrustle wrote:Has anyone bought an Xbox One controller lately? Preferably if you've already got an older one too. I ask because I heard on some podcast lately that apparently they change the construction of them at some point, and the bumpers have been vastly improved. Somehow I had not heard about this before. Those stiff bumpers are my biggest problem with the controller, at least in my experience with a launch day version. So I'd like to hear how a newer controller compares with these supposedly better bumpers.
Bit late with my view on this one but in case it's helpful....

I've got a Day One pad and also an Elite pad (so not a direct comparison) and for me there is a big difference in the triggers. The Elite has a nicer action to it I think, and you can also adjust the amount of travel the triggers have to make it shorter and the button press more immediate. Great for shooters where you want to shoot instantly (I need all the help I can get!).

Overall I can't recommend the Elite controller highly enough if it's within your price range. Can be picked up for about £100 if you shop around, and it really does feel worth it. The build quality vs the standard pad (which I still think is great) is night and day, with a fantastic weight and solidity to it. All the customisation options are nifty too.

Would go as far as saying its probably the best pad I've ever used on any system.
Gotta agree with you on the triggers but I think the OP was asking about the Bumper buttons (RB & LB) and how they compared to the OEM pad.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It sounds like they haven't made the changes to the bumpers that I was getting the impression they had. I've heard that there are rumours that they are going to announce a new controller at E3 that has a built-in microphone that is meant to work with Cortana, since not so many people have a Kinect now. Maybe that will have revised bumpers too.

That Elite controller looks really good to me too. I've always thought that the paddles on the back would be really good for Forza, and that just gave me the thought that means they would solve my issue with the bumpers for any game too. It's so pricey though. I just can't see myself being able to justify spending that much on a single controller. Maybe they will get a price cut at some point, or this alleged new controller will have some of the same features.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Suits wrote:Gotta agree with you on the triggers but I think the OP was asking about the Bumper buttons (RB & LB) and how they compared to the OEM pad.
Yeah I noticed that not long after I posted it but thought I'd leave it up anyway! :roll:

The bumpers maybe do have a slightly more satisfying click maybe, but hard to tell....
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Leak.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's more like it. Instant upgrade I reckon.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

If it comes with 4K blu ray capability (some people on neogaf reckon it does) instant buy from me.
Sinclair Gregstrum

That's a nice thing. Tempted.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I also read that the person on GAF that leaked the image said that the power brick is now internal, even more space saving.

Couple that with the fact that it can now stand vertically and it becomes rather appealing.

Not too sure on the bright white look though.

Also interested to see what they have done with the pad to 'streamline' it, it was pretty much perfect for me already really.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Suits wrote:Also interested to see what they have done with the pad to 'streamline' it, it was pretty much perfect for me already really.
Yeah I'm interested to see what they've done to the pad given that it's probably my favourite controller ever. :|
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Thats a really nice looking console.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Supposed price leak of $299 (Nerd Leaks) for the XOS, which makes it a very appealing proposition for any existing Xbox One owners looking to trade up.

If that is the price.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

We'll know in 2 hours or so :D
chase210

Post by chase210 »

$299 for Xbox One S. Not bad price that.

I'm sure it'll be £300 or some silly price for us, but I digress.

edit - 299 for the 500gb, 349 for the 1TB, 400 for the 2TB.

Edit edit - it doesn't come with a controller! How odd.

Edit of the edit of the edit - it does come with controller, I was gonna say, be very odd if it didn't.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Is anyone else excited for the highest quality, free range, fair trade pixels ever seen?
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

I like the look of the slim and the 4K ultra HD drive is tempting but I'm also excited for the Scorpio. Do I really want to trade in twice in 18months.
Sinclair Gregstrum

chase210 wrote:299 for the 500gb, 349 for the 1TB, 400 for the 2TB.
It's actually £249 for 500gb, £299 for 1tb, and £349 for 2tb.

Price seems reasonable for something with an Ultra HD 4k drive blu ray drive in it, and I'm sure there'll be some attractive bundles around.

I'll be sticking with my day one XBO then upgrading to Scorpio, but I get the feeling this is aimed at new customers rather than existing ones (unless you badly want 4k blu ray of course).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Interview with Phil Spencer about the Scorpio

Short version: If you don't have a 4k tv, don't bother getting the Scorpio.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Indeed!

I shall get a Slim with a big(ger) HDD at launch or soon after, then think about a Scorpio at some point once I have upgraded one of my gaming screens from 1080p to 4K.
:) 8-) :mrgreen: