Sound of Play: 50

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 50

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play
In this special 50th edition of Sound of Play, we bring 24 wonderful tracks from Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda series. Following the work of the masterful Koji Kondo and the various other composers that have followed in his footsteps, we hookshot our way through 20 years of videogame music to present a selection of Zelda classics. The list can hardly be comprehensive, but we tried to select a mixture of fan favorites and relative unknowns. This show’s presenters were: Ryan Haman (@InsrtCoins) and special guest Andrew Brown (@playcritically) from the Cane and Rinse community and the Critical Bytes blog.

Track listing for this show is as follows:
Track 01: Main Theme by Masato Koike & Yuki Matsumura - Hyrule Warriors, 2014
Track 02: Underground BGM by Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda, 1986
Track 03: Temple BGM by Akito Nakatsuka / arrangement by Shogo Sakai - Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link / Super Smash Bros. Melee, 1987 / 2001
Track 04: Lorule Overworld Theme #1 by Ryo Nagamatsu - The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds, 2013
Track 05: Sword Search by Minako Hamano & Kozue Ishikawa - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, 1993
Track 06: Title Theme by Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1998
Track 07: Gerudo Valley (25th Anniversary Arrangement) by Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1998
Track 08: Forest Temple by Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1998
Track 09: Windmill Hut by Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1998
Track 10: Clock Town medley by Koji Kondo (contains: Clock Town, First Day; Clock Town, Second Day; Clock Town, Third Day; and Last Day) - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, 2000
Track 11: Deku Palace by Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, 2000
Track 12: Stone Tower Temple by Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, 2000
Track 13: Nayru's Song by Kiyohiro Sada & Minako Adachi (cover by Dan DeSimone) - The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, 2001
Track 14: Dancing Dragon Dungeon by Kiyohiro Sada & Minako Adachi - The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, 2001
Track 15: Title by Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai, Toru Minegishi, & Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, 2002
Track 16: Dragon Roost Island by Kenta Nagata - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, 2002
Track 17: Minish Village by Mitshuhiko Takano - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, 2004
Track 18: Midna Lament by Toru Minegishi - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, 2006
Track 19: Realm Overworld by Toru Minegishi, Manaka Tominaga, Asuka Ohta, & Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Track 20: Ballad of the Goddess by Hajime Wakai & Takeshi Hama - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, 2011
Track 21: Lumpy Pumpkin's Theme by Hajime Wakai & Mahito Yokota - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, 2011
Track 22: Fi's Theme by Takeshi Hama - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, 2011
Track 23: Fi's Gratitude by Takeshi Hama - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, 2011
Track 24: Title Theme by Ryo Nagamatsu - The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, 2015

Sound of Play: 50 was edited by Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins)

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 50

Post by Flabyo »

Really great show!

Only 2 or 3 of these would've been in the 20 I would pick myself, but that's the beauty of the series. There's so much music that no-one is ever going to pick the same tracks as someone else.
Mononoke

Post by Mononoke »

Thanks for the great show, it was a really enjoyable episode. I've yet to play a Zelda game (something I intend to remedy very soon) but the main theme has always resonated with me as a piece of music itself and this was the first time I really got to hear a good selection of the rest of the music from all of the games and I was mightily impressed. I look forward to more special dedicated episodes like these - I hope there is a Halo one coming up!
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Really fun show guys! As a kid, I loved the Gerudo Valley song from Ocarina of Time (and I still think it's pretty great). But you guys were right, the more menacing version released for the 25th anniversary fits that part of the story better. Would love to see you all continue with this format every ten episodes.

And just to plant a seed for episode 60 (or 70 or 80)...Persona.

I'm sure Josh could be convinced to be on that show :D. And you could easily fill a two hour show with songs from that series.
CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

Awesome show guys, the music to links awakening still does it for me.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

gallo_pinto wrote:And just to plant a seed for episode 60 (or 70 or 80)...Persona.

I'm sure Josh could be convinced to be on that show :D. And you could easily fill a two hour show with songs from that series.
I like that idea :)