The Unfinished Swan

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

The Unfinished Swan

Post by ratsoalbion »

Out now for PS+ subscribers I immediately bought and downloaded this upon arriving home from work yesterday.
However - true to form (see my 'Pile of Shame' and forthcoming podcast schedule) it will no doubt be a while before I get to actually playing it.

Still, in the meantime I'd love to hear all about it from you Cane & Rinse forumites. Don't be shy.
:)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: The Unfinished Swan

Post by JaySevenZero »

ratsoalbion wrote:Out now for PS+ subscribers I immediately bought and downloaded this upon arriving home from work yesterday.
However - true to form (see my 'Pile of Shame' and forthcoming podcast schedule) it will no doubt be a while before I get to actually playing it.
It clocks in at around 2 hours so you could play if you really wanted too! ;)

I think I'll endeavor to get this when it out for the rest of us as I remember seeing the teaser during this year's E3 shenanigans and thought that its visual style was sublime in its execution and I'm in the mood for something short and sweet in between epic gunplay on BF3.

Here's the trailer for those unaware of this game.

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I'll be picking this up on Tuesday. Been looking forward to this one for a while now.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Are you a PS+ subscriber Karl?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Of course!
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Anyone played this yet?
I'd been really looking forward to it but I'm quite disappointed to be honest :-(

For me it just feels like a bunch of tech demos that have been cobbled together and it doesn't quite work in a fully fledged game. If anything, it just makes me want to go back and play Portal or TAG again.

Can't quite understand all the high review scores and comparisons to Journey and Flower, they're not in the same league.

Am I on my own on this one? :-?
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I really want to buy this but can't justify buying any more games at the moment till I've finished a few.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

I'm going to be playing this tonight, The fact that the game is only 2 hours long leaves me a little concerned as for £10 that seems a little on the short side.

I thought I saw Josh talk favourably about the game on twitter the other day.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Ghost World wrote:I'm going to be playing this tonight, The fact that the game is only 2 hours long leaves me a little concerned as for £10 that seems a little on the short side.

I thought I saw Josh talk favourably about the game on twitter the other day.
There's a few collectables to find that will get you replaying beyond your initial playthrough and things to do for trophies, but that's about it to be honest.

Took me 3 or 4 sittings to play all of it so not sure how long it took in the end. The chapters have different styles / mechanics so they provided a nice breaking point to put it down rather than blast through it in one go!
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Ghost World wrote:The fact that the game is only 2 hours long leaves me a little concerned as for £10 that seems a little on the short side.
If only there was another critically acclaimed PSN title that costs the same price and takes roughly the same length of time to complete...
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Unfinished Swan is worth £10. It's another case of the quality more than making up for the short length.
mik

Post by mik »

The first ten minutes are worth the money. There are far too few games released that can make me say, "oh wow--I've never done that in a game before!"
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Combine Hunter wrote:Unfinished Swan is worth £10. It's another case of the quality more than making up for the short length.
Plus, let us not forget how many 8 hours or less games we've splashed £40 on, so £10 for 2 hours isn't too bad.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I really enjoyed this game.

There were elements of the game play that were certainly reminiscent of both Portal and Flower (with a nice little in-game nod to Journey), yet Giant Sparrow have managed to give the game its own twist and its distinctive visual styling has helped cement its own identity rather than leave it feeling derivative. I also thought that having one of the characters voiced by Terry Gilliam, was not only a fascinating casting choice but somehow extremely fitting too.

Overall, I really dug the storybook idea and its simply, straightforward style was a pleasant change of pace.
Sean

Post by Sean »

JaySevenZero wrote:I also thought that having one of the characters voiced by Terry Gilliam, was not only a fascinating casting choice but somehow extremely fitting too.
Whoa, I haven't been very interested in this game, but, of all the praise in this thread, this little bit of info may have just changed that.

I love Terry Gilliam.

Like, I mean LOVE. Like, full on, MAN-CRUSH LOVE.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

I would have thought this would be right up your street Sean. It is on a Sony console after all... ;)
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hey, I played Forza for like 3 hours last night. On that Xbox. The 360 one!

I don't know. I wasn't dying for it, and, the way SCEA is doing PS+ lately, it'll be free or heavily discounted relatively soon.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Sean wrote:I don't know. I wasn't dying for it, and, the way SCEA is doing PS+ lately, it'll be free or heavily discounted relatively soon.
This is another point I made in the not too distant past, the sales are that good at times that people may be reluctant to pull the trigger on buying things straight away.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Shameless Self Promotion:

"Andy Robertson (@GeekDadGamer)
27/11/2012 19:50

Sneak peek at lovely guest family review from @Xantiriad on how his 3 yr old daugher enjoyed Unfinished Swan: http://t.co/4lCu6U29"
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

What do you actually do in this game, because the trailer certainly doesn't give anything away.