The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
Todinho

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Todinho »

Just finnished Furi and this track was my favorite in the game,maybe it's because of how fast paced it is or how it matches the boss fights perfectly or maybe it's just because I heard it for hours while boss 7 kept pummeling me into the ground either way I like it alot :D

ghoststrikes

Post by ghoststrikes »

Hi, new poster here and I just want to congratulate you guys on 50 sound of plays, those and the main podcast really make my drive to and from work a whole lot of fun, as well as made me discover hidden gems of games I never thought I would enjoy!

For my requests, first up is a song from Super Mario RPG. This game's soundtrack is still to this day one that remains stuck in my brain. Every song contributes to the feeling on going on an epic journey across the mushroom kingdom and beyond. This is the first Mario game that made me feel that way, and while the RPG gameplay is spot on, the music certainly contributes dearly to my enjoyment of this title. It was hard to choose a single song from this soundtrack, but I settled on this one: Let's Go Down the Wine River. You hear this song on a minigame trying to gather coins while falling on river rapids. The song is short but awesome and captures everything Super Mario RPG is about!

This next one is a track from the game Perfect World (International). This is a MMORPG that was free to play, but with microtransactions. Instead of buying stuff from the store I would just grind endlessly, because of the beautiful scenery and especially the soundtrack. The songs are all so melancholic and calm, yet they feel epic. This song is from the major city in the game, Archosaur, were all the trading between players occured. You could set up your character as a "cat-shop", basically offering the products of your grinding for sale as other players walk by. I would leave the computer on anytime I wasn't playing (Including at night and while I was at school) while in "cat-shop" mode in this city, so I heard this track aplenty and it still brings back great memories.

Thanks for your time, and again congrats on the 50 SOP's!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

ghoststrikes wrote:Hi, new poster here and I just want to congratulate you guys on 50 sound of plays, those and the main podcast really make my drive to and from work a whole lot of fun, as well as made me discover hidden gems of games I never thought I would enjoy! ... Thanks for your time, and again congrats on the 50 SOP's!
Well, thank you for listening to us and for taking the time to post your submissions! :D
genuinebrag

Post by genuinebrag »

One of my favourites from the Shin Megami Tensei series, which is known for having such excellent music that I could have chosen any number of things. It's from one of the more obscure entires, Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoah vs King Abaddon, which has to win some longest title award, and is the only non Persona game in the series I've managed to finish. It's a very stylish action RPG, with frequent random encounters that might have become annoying if they weren't accompanied by the awesome New Battle by Shoji Meguro:

I spent 50 odd hours playing the game, and must've heard this about a 1000 times. Still managed to find it's way onto my ipod though.
lessthantv

Post by lessthantv »

If my previous request was a bit wintery, to me, this is definitely the sound of summer. To this day this is still my favorite racing game as i've always been a fan of the more arcadey style of racers and I don't think anyone has topped this:

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Quiet Curves
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

(Note: The actual song doesn't start until 48 seconds in)

I liked but didn't love Level 5's Yo-Kai Watch for the 3DS, but I think this is one of the most fun opening songs I've seen in a game. It's pure Saturday-morning cartoon silliness and it's the best aspect of the game.

EDIT: For cleaner audio, this is the version of the song that the anime uses. As far as I can tell it's the exact same, just with the sound effects of the fighting Yo-Kai taken out.

Dingle Dongle

Post by Dingle Dongle »

When I was young, there was always a debate between myself and my friends on which game to play when racing games came up, Mario Kart 64 was a favourite, but I would always argye for what I consider one the the greatest battle racers of all time. Diddy Kong Racing. Developed by Rare. with games like Mario Kart, Snowboard Kids, or Wave Racer giving their variations on the racing genre. DKR displayed that they could mesh multiple race types together, a single player mode with interesting boss fights, a great battle mode variation, and an awesome soundtrack composed by David Wise to hold it all together.

So many songs could be classed as the best of the set, but I've selected Pirate's Lagoon, the up-beat rhythm really emphasises those weekends where I would ignore the sun and sit inside with my friend and challenge them to be the best at what I consider, the best.

gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Dingle Dongle wrote:DKR displayed that they could mesh multiple race types together, a single player mode with interesting boss fights, a great battle mode variation, and an awesome soundtrack composed by David Wise to hold it all together.
I would love to live in a universe where Diddy Kong Racing got as many sequels as Mario Kart did. I was firmly on Team Diddy in the N64 years and really wish the Mario Kart series had embraced its single player mode and boss fights.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Just fell in love with this track from the KoF XIV demo,I wish I had seen it earlier so I could send to Ryan via twitter when he was asking for music like it XD
RCheeze

Post by RCheeze »

When I did a search just now on the Sound of Play forums for Super Mario RPG, I was quite astonished to see that there was only one entry on this whole forum (from just a few weeks ago, nonetheless). I would have assumed at this point someone would have brought up the famous Forest Maze theme from the game. The proper title is actually "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" by composer is Yoko Shimomura, and it is a jovial, fun song that only discovered after hearing YouTubers use it as background music when reviewing certain Mario games. In fact, you can find so many different renditions of the song on YouTube, either by chip tune artists or people actually playing it using an instrument. I actually did buy Super Mario RPG when I was 14, however took me a full 14 years to finally beat that game. I remember I started playing it it shortly after I bought it from a FuncoLand (back when those were around) and I decided when I was around 28 that I would finally complete it. Mission accomplished.

Here's the original song:

And here's a rendition, evidently from Super Smash Bros. Brawl that was apparently cut:

You can choose either one to use for the show, if you would like.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Heroes of Might and Magic was one of my favorite game series. Besides great gameplay, colourful graphics and tons of beautiful magical creatures, music was one of strong points of Heroes franchise. It blended well with what happened on screen and sometimes when i listen to it i can almost hear grunts of butchered peasants, screeches of gryphons and whails of a wraiths ;)

Another nomination is something that i considered my favorite game of all time [GOAT in short ;) ] until Witcher 3 came an won my heart :P. That game was Planescape : Torment. Its music was amazing in creating atmosphere of all those strange worlds, weird creatures and emotional situations that nameless one was constantly put through. Since a lot of tracks are very very good im gonna nominate well known epic main theme, though i encourage to listen to each characters theme. I cant think of any game that could tell a characters story with short music track better than Torment.

Another one is from Rayman Legends, a game that was already featured in SoP episode 9 but i feel that it needs to be reminded every now and then just how amazing this music is. Especially since its not just a music but a part of gameplay. My pick is one of musical levels

Chortles

Post by Chortles »

Hi everyone! I've been listening to Cane and Rinse for a good while now, somewhat new to Sound of Play (really enjoying it though), but a first time poster overall here - thanks for all your hard work on these podcasts, it is all very evident and very much appreciated! Now for my submission...

I don't consider myself an incredibly skilled gamer - I usually play games on Easy or Normal without feeling the need to bump it up and I'm just fine with that. That said, mastering the at times controller-snappingly difficult Super Meat Boy is what I feel is perhaps my crowning achievement as a gamer. Something that kept me sane, or perhaps fueled my insanity, while playing through some of this game's ridiculous levels was that glorious soundtrack, one that to my surprise has yet to be featured here. The way all the tracks play continuously on loop one death after another has engraved these wonderful tunes in my head more than perhaps any other game has. The constant energy and surprising mystique some of the tracks have is incredible considering you can reduce this game down to the basic premise of the player controlling a wad of meat running around trying to save his girlfriend. I had a hard time selecting one track of all the amazing stuff, but I settled on Betus Blues, one that is forever engrained in my mind and haunts my PTSD induced, meat filled (not what you think) nightmares.

Good Shot Janson

Post by Good Shot Janson »

In 2007, on the eve of the release of Mass Effect, few people loved Bioware as a studio as much as I. KotOR and Jade Empire are still among what I consider the best games ever made for their time, and upon learning of Mass Effect in a 2005 issue of Game Informer, I felt this team of savants surely could do no wrong. Like a Star Destroyer looming over the Blockade Runner that was Bioware, EA appeared, absorbed our Heroes, and the rest is (unfortunately) history. While EA's fetish for "accessibility" undoubtedly doomed Mass Effect, there is some purity of vision left in the game's first installment. Mass Effect was the only game in the series that was able to immerse me completely in this scifi world. We could talk about story, gameplay, and the marvel that were Wrex's lips, but that's better served for Cane and Rinse. The Music of Mass Effect is by far the best in the trilogy. Other games included rock and symphonic elements which, while all well and good, were also boring and derivative (cough cough Inception). The score of mass effect was evocative of the sounds of the golden age of hard science fiction during the 1970s. The synthesizer is king here. And while it pays homage to the synth scores of earlier scifi, Mass Effect's score is just BETTER. It's atmospheric and alien without being cheesy or overpowering. The single greatest piece from this composition being, in my opinion, "Noveria." This track takes me back in time, but not to a point in my life. Sure I remember where I was and what my life was like then when I hear this track, but that's after the memories of my time as Shepard in the frozen desolation of Noveria subsides. Game and score coming together to make a lasting impression, the first Mass Effect's greatest flaw was showing us what might have been.

MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

Hello again. I know that some of my previous submissions haven’t been featured yet but I’d like to add one more to the queue, another piece from the Legacy of the Void OST.

“Valor My Shield”, by Jason Hayes & Mike Patti (StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void)

After months of having finished the protoss campaign I still can’t get its soundtrack out of my head :) I love how this piece, like many more from this expansion pack, sounds so cinematic, like something out of a John Williams score —just listen to those violins and those brass instruments—, without losing its protoss-y character. I also enjoy how, having played the game or not, you can feel through this piece things like urgency, courage and hope, states that represent the ordeal that the protoss civilization goes through the campaign. A very fitting piece for this closing chapter in the StarCraft saga.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Could you guys clarify what is your policy on licensed music ? So far i assumed that its a big no-no since you could get in trouble for posting for example Tu-Pac song because it was in GTA. But in episode 49 you included Cordes Discordes by Cosmic Analog Ensemble. So should i assume that i can submit licensed music as long as its not typical thing im hearing on radio, but its more in tune with game itself ?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's it in a nutshell.

We won't be playing people's favourite licensed tracks from GTA, Rock Band etc. i.e. songs that were chosen for the game because they were already known and for an OST comprising mainly of 'real', popular songs.

However, we'll make the occasional, discretionary exception if we feel that a particular licensed track only came to be well known through its appearance in a game, and/or where its use is use is particularly iconic or striking.
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

I've been playing through Earthbound on the 3DS Virtual Console, having emulated it around 15 or so years ago.

The game is an absolutely fascinating curio, something isn't quite right. It feels very much like a Japanese interpretation of an American place, then viewed by a British person 22 years later. That sense of oddness permeates into the mechanics, artwork and music alike, some of which takes clear "inspiration" from artists such as The Who or the Beatles as is well documented across the internet.

There are several battle themes which play throughout the game depending on the type of opponent you're facing, however the one which stands out to me is "battle against a weird opponent" music. It's a bizarre, discordant jazz number that instantly transports me back to 1994, reminding me of nonsensical early 90s cartoons such as Rocko's modern life. It's great, it puts me just out of my comfort zone.

Keeping with tradition, it could be any of the composers Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka,Hiroshi Kanazu and Toshiyuki Ueno ( I tried, I failed).

Interesting thought, series developer Shigesato Itoi believes earthbound to be the first - presumably cartridge based - game to include vibrato string bending into it's music. (( https://yomuka.wordpress.com/2009/06/21 ... er-9-1994/ )) I have no idea if this is false, it would stun me if this were the true.

Also, this game definitely needs a show some time....just saying.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I am a newcomer to this community but it was the Sound of Play podcast that encouraged me to sign up and join the lovely people here. This podcast is the perfect thing to listen to during work and has inroduced me to a lot of spectacular OSTs.

My request is for Queen Sectonia (Phase 1) by Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando from Kirby: Triple Deluxe for the 3DS. Most Kirby final bosses are definitely intimidating beings which look out of place in such a bright, cheery game. While Queen Sectonia might not be the scariest of Kirby villains, her final boss theme is one of the most incredible bits of music in the Kirby series. Her battle is in three phases with each phase having its own brilliant theme to it but for me it is the first one that really stands out. The first minute or so consists of this ominous organ which lets you know in no uncertain terms that you are up against the final boss. But suddenly this electric guitar shredding kicks in and it just keeps getting more and more intense as the track goes on, the organ and electric guitar complementing each other perfectly. Like all great video game music, once it entered my head it has stayed with me ever since.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Jobobonobo wrote:I am a newcomer to this community but it was the Sound of Play podcast that encouraged me to sign up and join the lovely people here. This podcast is the perfect thing to listen to during work and has inroduced me to a lot of spectacular OSTs.
Thanks for taking the time to post Jobobonobo, glad you're enjoying the show! :)
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Cheers Jay! Oh just one quick little question, will there be a Halloween special this year? I have a particular creepy tune in mind that would be perfect for such a show.