Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jusifer

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by Jusifer »

thank you Leon. won't be subscribing sadly, though it seems to work through pay pal. I'll start looking for the best way for me to play. really hoping for an hd re release or some kind if bubble bobble collection. it might even be profitable if they did it right. I remember you saying Taito got fused into square in one of the sound of plays if I remember correctly? So it would be on Square to release one?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Spot-on - Taito did get taken over by and absorbed into Square Enix, who I don't think are generally interested in releasing older classics (I'm not including previous-gen 'remasters' in this, obviously), which I assume is why they've licensed a number of their older titles out to Hamster.

Games to avoid in my opinion are the various attempts that were made to 'reinvent' (or more cynically - cash in on) these IPs on formats such as DS and PSP. On the whole these 'Evolution' games were poorly received and missed the point of the affection for the originals.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

I'll keep that in mind. too bad for all the older classics then. hope Hamster gets to do Bubble Bobble sometime in the future. that is if it's done well of course.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've got digital copies of most of the issues of Retro Gamer, I'll see if I can dig out that particular article.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great! I have a (horrible) feeling it may have been as long ago as 2006 or something, but I might well be wrong.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You're right. I couldn't work out how to split the file so I've just uploaded the whole issue. Apologies if this is against forum rules (it's technically illegal I suppose) - just let me know and I'll take it to private message.

The article is on page 58 I think - https://www.dropbox.com/s/sefffzipqxiqt ... 8.pdf?dl=0

EDIT : Don't know how friendly Dropbox is either, but if you have any troubles let me know and I'll stick it somewhere else.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've got no problem with it, thanks Alex.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

Many thanks Alex!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No probs - it's a great magazine, I've been subbing to it since the first few issues. I had a big collection and had to get rid of the older issues a couple of years back when we moved, but I stumbled across scans of the first 100 issues on a nefarious site a while back so just downloaded it relatively guilt free, haha. If there's anything else you want give me a shout :)
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

well after that very informative but confusing article I'm quite put off by the series' story so I think I'm just going to play the ones that look the easiest and coolest to play.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks for listening. Sorry to hear about you being ill and confined to bed. Hope the podcast helps to alleviate the boredom a bit.

Don't forget there are over 50 Sound of Play podcasts to enjoy as well!

All the major Vanillaware games are already on the long-list.

The full list of games that we've covered can be found here btw: http://caneandrinse.com/full-podcast-listing/
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

Just finished OlliOlli again on the 3ds this time. Both it and OlliOlli 2 - Welcome to Olliwood (groan) have been a perfect gaming accoutrement for the past year for me and even if you can't see a show out of them I heartily recommend them as a game.

I don't however recommend playing it on the 3ds unless you're looking for a way to induce carpal tunnel syndrome. I need some ice now to try and pry apart my now claw like fingers.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have added them both to the big spreadsheet.
:)
Sean

Post by Sean »

FollowMyRuin wrote:Just finished OlliOlli again on the 3ds this time. Both it and OlliOlli 2 - Welcome to Olliwood (groan) have been a perfect gaming accoutrement for the past year for me and even if you can't see a show out of them I heartily recommend them as a game.

I don't however recommend playing it on the 3ds unless you're looking for a way to induce carpal tunnel syndrome. I need some ice now to try and pry apart my now claw like fingers.
Man, I can't even imagine playing OlliOlli on that 3DS circle pad...
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

Sean wrote:
FollowMyRuin wrote:Just finished OlliOlli again on the 3ds this time. Both it and OlliOlli 2 - Welcome to Olliwood (groan) have been a perfect gaming accoutrement for the past year for me and even if you can't see a show out of them I heartily recommend them as a game.

Man, I can't even imagine playing OlliOlli on that 3DS circle pad...
It was the drizzling shits.....
GrimmFandingo

Post by GrimmFandingo »

I recall hearing some love for the Gauntlet games on a previous Cane and Rinse podcast (the Golden Axe one I think). I absolutely adore these games myself and in particular the joy of playing through them co-operatively. Gauntlet has lots of different versions but I feel is undoubtably at its best on the N64 with Gauntlet Legends. I think it would be a great topic for a future C&R and I would love to contribute if you ever do get round to covering it. :geek:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I would love to do a Gauntlet show at some point. All the games are on the list. Loads of history to talk about.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I really think a show on Rez would be fantastic. Short game but such an absolutely amazing experience that it more than makes up for it. The symbiosis of music and gameplay is just phenomenal and is something that grabs you immediately within 10 seconds of playing it. If you think it is not enough to warrant a 2 hour show then you could also discuss it's equally wonderful spiritual successor Child of Eden. Easily in my top 10 games of all time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'd love a Rez show - I've listened to the early episode that touched upon it, but a full discussion podcast would be brilliant, and perfect time with the new one out soon!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Wait...new Rez coming out? This is news for me!! How have I not heard this?!