All things The Legend of Zelda

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
registradus

All things The Legend of Zelda

Post by registradus »

So I haven't played ANY Zelda titles after A Link To The Past (except The Minish Cap). I really want to play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but was wondering the best way to play them. Am I best off buying an old N64? or Gamecube? or Wii?
link6616

Re: Zelda

Post by link6616 »

Easiest ways to play OoT and MM is probably Wii, if can find it cheap, the zelda collection on Gamecube is great. If you have a 3ds, play OoT on that, but if you have a 3DS, WHY DON'T YOU HAVE LINKS AWAKENING FROM THE ESHOP YET.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Another alternative is the Wind Waker Special Edition on Gamecube that has a disc with OoT and OoT Master Quest, though that doesn't cover MM.

It's easy to say what the easiest way to play those games is or to list all the possible ways, but I'm trying to think now what the actual best way to play them is. The only thing I can say with confidence is that the best way to play them is Ocarina of Time FIRST, and only after beating it playing Majora's Mask.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree with all of the above. Link to the Past was my first and I think best Zelda experience but there's a lot to like about many of its successors. I would busy myself with 3DS Ocarina (which also features the remixed Master Quest) and hope for a Majora's Mask announcement in the meantime.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

As Leon said, OoT on 3DS the way to go and if you have a GameCube/Wii then Wind Waker an option. Majora's Mask, for me, isn't as important as those two.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Although I've completed Wind Waker but not Majora's Mask, I think I prefer the latter's darker tone. Also Wind Waker is unfinished (missing several dungeons). That said, it's still better than 95% of videogames and a 3DS remake could be stunning - especially if they reinstated the abandoned levels!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Even with missing dungeons, I feel like Wind Waker might be the best Zelda; and if I could ask for any game to be remade or spiritually succeeded on the WiiU, it'd be that one.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Man, Link to the Past is a true classic.

Haven't done it in a few years, but, I used to pop in Windwaker on a yearly basis and blast through it. Gamecube version still holds up pretty well if you can get your hands on one easily.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Ocarina Of Time is the greatest Zelda game, you should try get the copy of Wind Waker that came with a master quest version of Ocarina. WW is a great Zelda game if a little short. Twilight Princess is good if a tiny bit predictable.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Zelda has been predictable since Wind Waker. Doesn't necessarily make it bad (it's still a great franchise) but for me Zelda has certainly lost that aura it had through the 90's.

I understand where Leon is coming from with Majora's Mask, it's dark and interesting but I found the constantly decreasing time took away from what I always enjoyed in Zelda games and that was taking my time to enjoy the world. Definitely worth checking though, with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker you have three of the more varied styles in the Zelda universe to play.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I got bought Skyward Seord for Christmas last year it's still sat in its wrapper :(
registradus

Post by registradus »

Sounds like I'm going to have to buy a Wii. and a 3DS...
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

The good thing is that I'm sure there'll be a lovely price drop on both in the new year.
registradus

Post by registradus »

I just bought a Wii off eBay. for $20.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Wow, that's cheap. Very cheap.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fantastic. There are a raft of Wii games beyond Nintendo first party stuff worth investigation as well - so you have a bargain there.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Fantastic. There are a raft of Wii games beyond Nintendo first party stuff worth investigation as well - so you have a bargain there.
What he said.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The only Zelda game I've ever enjoyed was Minish Cap on GBA.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's decent - one of three good Zelda games made by Capcom. It's not up there with LTTP, LADX, OOT etc. for me though I must say.
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

I'm a Zelda fanatic and have been from an early age (I've got THE most kick-ass poster to prove it too, although everyone has probably seen it lurking on the internet already).

I wouldn't recommend starting with the The Legend of Zelda or The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventures of Link. Both of these will be quite difficult, ESPECIALLY the latter. Obviously if you want to play the series in the order that it chronologically came out then that is where you need to start. I recommend downloading both of them through the Wii Shop thingy on the Wii.

I now can't remember which one you've said you've played but Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past, is, in a word, essential. It is personally in my top three Zelda titles and really hits home what the games are all about and is what I'd call the first Zelda that went on to shape what the modern day games are really all about. The first one was, obviously, a huge influence but due to the upgrade in technology, Link to the Past looks the most similar to a modern day title. This you can also grab from the Wii store although I happily bust out my SNES to play it on. Like I said; essential.

After that you'll want to grab Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Both of these represent very important stages in the series. Ocarina of Time was the first with 3D graphics and represents my favourite game in the series. Talking about it would only spoil but seriously, grab that game! Format wise I'd actually recommend the N64 but I'd also recommend getting the Master Quest, having played it on the limited edition disk that you can snag on the Gamecube. ( I think it came with a version of Mario Kart Double Dash?) The Master Quest can be a tough bastard at times but it is worth the extra pain to say you've done it.

Majoras Mask as suggested by Leon carries some dark undertones, is probably the most varied and original Zelda game in the series and presents some incredibly unique challenges. This should not be missed either and is worth well picking up.

The Wind Waker folows on from that and despite the mixed reception it got, it is now widely regarded as one of the best Zelda's in the series. The graphics are gorgeous, still holding up today and although it does become a grind in places it is still very enjoyable and shouldn't be overlooked. Just make sure you set aside some time for it because there is a fair bit of travelling around involved.

After that you've got Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. In a nutshell, Twilight Princess is very similar to Ocarina of Time in terms of its feel and how it plays. The storyline is good although I personally felt that it didn't flow very well in places. It is a solid game none the less and worth getting. Skyward Sword is awesome and I really enjoyed it. The story is its strongest suit along with its challenging gameplay and huge world to explore.

Once you've done all that the handhelds should be your next port of call. Without going into too much detail;

Links Awakening: Very enjoyable but quite challenging.
Minish Cap: Very enjoyable and little more friendly than Links Awakening.
Phantom Hourglass: Good but christ it does feel like a grind in places.
Spirit Tracks: Not had the pleasure yet so couldn't say!

Hope that helps :)