The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
gallo_pinto

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by gallo_pinto »

Craig wrote:Mario will probably play a lot like the Rayman iOS runner games. Looking forward to it.
Agreed. I enjoyed those games.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Super Mario Run is bound to be a big money spinner for Nintendo.

Not sure how iOS games are priced these days but it's got to be about £3.99 ish ?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I rather suspect it will be F2P with IGP?

And yes, I predict it will make a fortune.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote:I rather suspect it will be F2P with IGP?
I don't think so mate, in the presentation they made a big thing about it being available for a one off purchase.

Then on the App store it says that the game will have in app purchases. The price inst on there as of yet though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh right, well I'm happy enough to pay a few coins if people say they like it.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I remember Iwata started to use the phrase "Free to start" instead of "Free to play." I'm not sure what distinction they were trying to make, or if it was purely marketing, but it was used often enough that it was a deliberate strategy.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote:I remember Iwata started to use the phrase "Free to start" instead of "Free to play."
In relation to Super Mario Run ?

I'd have sworn he said it would be available for a one off price in the presentation ......
Craig

Post by Craig »

Not in relation to that specifically but in general towards models we usually call free to play (such as that Pokemon puzzle game on 3DS.) I've not watched the conference though so I don't know about Mario in particular, apologies!
Suits

Post by Suits »

8-)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

By free to start they're really meaning the ancient shareware model.

The game is free to download and you can play a bit of it; to play the rest you pay a one off fee to unlock it.

That's done via the in-app purchase system, which is why it says 'free with in-app purchases', but I don't think they're going the micro transactions route. There's just no way to say that in an app-store page.
Suits

Post by Suits »

That would make sense.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's a smart move doing the shareware model with Mario Run. A micro transaction based system just wouldn't work. I remember when investors said "pay to make Mario jump higher" and Nintendo dismissed it as a bad idea.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

"pay to make mario jump higher" did someone really suggest this? lmao :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jusifer wrote:"pay to make mario jump higher" did someone really suggest this? lmao :D
It really is a succinct summary of the blatant cash grabbing attitude in the gaming industry, isn't it?

Good on Nintendo for turning it down. I have to say, despite some puzzling decisions lately (still not mentioning the NX, bugger all being released for Christmas, Mario Maker 3ds not having online, etc.) Nintendo is also doing some really fascinating things with their major series. Breath of the Wild is one of the most interesting shake ups Zelda has had in a very long time, Pokemon Sun and Moon are adding a lot of very interesting mechanics and seem to even be dropping the whole "beat gym leader, get badge" structure which has been there since the very beginning and keep hitting it out of the park regarding the Kirby series. Here is hoping when the NX does get revealed that it actually can keep up with the XB1 and PS4, so keep the gimmicks to a low level and bloody tell people about it, Nintendo! The lack of communication regarding the Wii U launch has to be one of the definitive factors that killed that system.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

oh my god! this just... No no no no. I'm glad Nintendo does not listen to people like this or at least have yet to. that's even worse than the praxis points in the new deus ex. though to that games credit you don't really need to buy those as far as I've heard. when are the investors going to start thinking about long term profit? don't they know it's considered blasphemy to have a pay to win option in your game no matter how you try to justify it. and the more games you ruin by having it the less likely people are going to buy the next one. then again I'm very surprised how many people buy pay to win stuff. and it kinda seems like people are starting to get used to games having it. and this one would be a mobile game. but in mobile games in app purchases can be done well. like I've played clash of clans for two years now and I've never even been tempted to buy the in game diamonds. and plus it's mario. I just can't picture a mario game where you could even buy cosmetics let alone pay to win stuff.
Suits

Post by Suits »

My wife is a primary school teacher.

So I've given her my 3DS to keep in her bag to try and get some Street Pass'es :lol: .
Suits

Post by Suits »

Not sure if this is the place to post this, or if anyone is interested but I collected my Holy Grail today.

Love, love, LOVE this.

I also picked up a Super Famicom Club Nintendo Wii controller, which is great for classic gaming on the Wii U and it even works with current Wii U games that support the classic controller option.

Mario Kart 8 being the one I enjoy using it for the most.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nice!
:mrgreen: 8-)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Love the super famicom boxes, Super Mario World is so much more vivid.

The box for F zero is amazing.