Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay, there is another one I need to get off my chest.

I'm a huge fan of the "Mercenaries" modes in the modern Resident Evil games and feel like they would make for a great topic choice. They have a bit of a cult following but most players dismiss them as just another unlockable when this couldn't be further from the truth! I honestly think that they provide some of the deepest and most rewarding 3D action gameplay out there with one of the highest skill ceiling I've ever seen. The surprising amount of strategy and planning needed to achieve highscores completely overshadows more popular modes like Gears Horde or CoD Zombies and changes the entire game for the better. You guys are no strangers to diving deep into arcade mechanics and scoring systems, especially when it comes to shoot 'em ups and the like. So imagine my disappointment when the whole topic was over and done with within 30 seconds on the Resident Evil 4 show! :shock:

I understand that this is a rather unorthodox idea, so what I would suggest is to take The Mercenaries 3D on the 3DS as the official template and then analyse each incarnation in chronological order. It'd be worth it, I swear!

Bonus argument: I would venture a guess that most of you already own at least a few of these games, so it would just be a matter of popping them back in and taking a different look this time around. "Always appeal to people's greed", that's what my dad always said.
Spoiler: show
Not really, I just made that up.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hmmm, as much as I like mercenaries mode myself, I can't see there being the interest among the team or the wider listenership to focus an entire podcast on it.

However, we do plan on covering the entire core series of Resi/Biohazard games at some point - including a second look (a first for Cane and Rinse) at Resi 4.
If and when we do that, I promise you we'll give the mercs mode a bit more attention!

And, if we do decide to branch out and cover more of the series 'gaidens' and spin-offs, then Mercenaries 3D would be a part of that for sure.
:)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I thought so. But I had to try, at least! :)

I actually think that Mercs 3D is the worst one by far, but I'm definitely looking forward to the RE series being covered and RE4 being revisited.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Combat on Atari 2600 please!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Local multiplayer only could make that tricky to revisit...
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

ratsoalbion wrote:Local multiplayer only could make that tricky to revisit...
True. Not sure it'd make a great show but when I last played it a few years back, I was amazed at how well it had held up compared to other titles from that era. Never sadly gets much love...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It would be an interesting one to cover for sure, but the logistics make it prohibitive.

It is now on the list anyway!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It would be a different kind of show, but you could probably cover multiple 2600 games in one cast, very few of them have the depth to carry a whole two hour show. (Maybe something on early Activision, like Pitfall and River Raid).

Here's something more left field as a suggestion... StreetPass Plaza and it's selection of mini games.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There are six games in the Pitfall! series, factor in ports and conversions and you've got at least one show right there.

I love River Raid and could easily do a show on just that - along with its ports and sequel (remember, two hours is a maximum not a requirement).

Not sure anyone in the team has paid for all of the Street Pass games but I'll add them to the list.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Just because I've completed it recently and found it an interesting experiment, how about Quantum Break?

Certainly lots to discuss around it's media mash-up structure and branching narrative.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's on the list. Of the team only Sean has finished it so far.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Believe Darren's also finished QB. It was one of the deciding factors for my XB1 purchase!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Not a game suggestion, but I was wondering is Leah Haydu just going to be in the Zelda episodes? Because I think what with the whole point of her blog being to try out old titles for the first time I think she could be a good guest to have in general. The perspective of someone playing a title for the first time in amongst others who have grown up with it would be a unique one to have and definitely has the potential to generate interesting discussion.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Leah's not only been on Zelda shows, and her name is down as a potential guest for a number of other podcasts in the future.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Oh my mistake, only got that idea into my head for just listening to the zelda episodes. And good to hear she will be a future guest!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Probably already been mentioned (I could search through but I am occasionally lazy), so I apologise in advance, however I am going to suggest the SNK/Neo Geo catalogue. Plenty of games are widely available nowadays; SNK has an interesting history; the podcasts covering the niche, like the Cave Co. episode, make for entertaining gateways for those unfamiliar; and the purchasing adventures for official cartridges online, and how piracy of MVS cartridges over the years did very little favours for the already declining arcade scene at the time.

As a side note I am current building an Neo Geo MVS arcade cabinet, using official parts like the MV-1F PCB and other official Japanese made SNK parts. It's definitely been an education in electronics, and that's definitely what's influencing my suggestion.

Main problem: the history of SNK is a very deep rabbit hole. Sure, I would happily listen to a ten hour podcast, though I doubt anyone would want to record one!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Our self-imposed time limit for a podcast is two hours anyway!

There are plenty of SNK/Neo Geo games on the long list, but format specific shows isn't something we want to do as it tends to become hardware focused when we're really all about the games.

Our general view is that almost every gaming machine is wonderful in its own way and well worth owning if you pick its strongest library - even consoles with only one or two notable releases.

The Neo Geo has so many amazing games (from a library of around 150) that a two hour show simply wouldn't allow us to do any one of them justice, so we'll continue along current lines, with shows on games/series like KoF, Metal Slug, Garou, SamSho, Puzzle Bobble et al all entirely possible in the future.
Styrman

Post by Styrman »

You should really do a full episode on the Tenchu series.
I've seen the quick Rinse on Tenchu 3, but the series deserve a full episode. It's such an important part of the stealth genre.

Tenchu 1 was my first PSX game and a very big contributor to my love of gaming. The gameplay was truly epic at the time (although the first two games have aged pretty bad), the music was amazing, and the general atmosphere just purely exciting and tense.

Im still hoping for a proper sequel or reboot.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We currently have at least eight Tenchu games on the list, but only a couple of 'green lights' from the team, both for the very first game in the series.
Styrman

Post by Styrman »

ratsoalbion wrote:We currently have at least eight Tenchu games on the list, but only a couple of 'green lights' from the team, both for the very first game in the series.
Awesome! I just hope everyone can see through the controls... They haven't aged very well. I'll be sure to play along for this episide when the time comes :)