Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by DomsBeard »

Does it matter that I've not played Max Payne 2 when jumping into 3?
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Not really, the storyline from 2 doesn't carry across into 3 really. So go for it, as Max Payne 3 is brilliant.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

AndyKurosaki wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:Does it matter that I've not played Max Payne 2 when jumping into 3?
Not really, the storyline from 2 doesn't carry across into 3 really. So go for it, as Max Payne 3 is brilliant.
Actually the story from Max Payne and Max Payne 2 play a huge part in the development of Max in Max Payne 3, you understand the decisions and actions he's taken and why. However, you could just listen to the podcast. ;)

That said, even without knowing the story, Max Payne 3 stands out as a quality title on its own merits.
furyac3

Post by furyac3 »

Max Payne 3 is my Game of the year so far and if am honest there are only really two that can stop it Halo 4 and Far Cry 3 so worst case it's top 3 but still it's an amazing game

So amazing in fact I dressed up as the angry fat bald guy that this year's eurogamer lol and loved every minute of it :D
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I've been playing Spec Ops The Line, mainly because people had a lot of interesting things to say about it, and I managed to pick it up for £5 on PC.

At first it comes off as a fairly mediocre modern military third person shooter in an interesting setting. And to be honest, the game play part is still kind of so so. But I've gotten to a part of the story that really shocked and disturbed me. Others have said this already, but Spec Ops The Line really is "anti-war" and portrays war exactly the way it is, a horrible thing that no one should be apart off.

I'm going to stick with it, because while I doubt it will be one of my favourite games this year, it will probably be one of the more memorable games I'll play this year.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I think that sums it up Josh. Everyone I have recommended it to I have made clear that its not for the mechanics of the game because that's not why it stands out (it also doesn't stand out for being bad, it's simply decent) and I think that because it tries (and succeeds) in trying to tell/portray war in a different way that it does get a pass of sorts.

It may make my Top 10 of the year, it may not, but regardless I will continue to recommend it and I am happy to see so many try it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Played some Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, had a nice few hours with it and its a great racer. Nice to see EA don't totally screw over preowned/rents as you get 2 days of online for free. The wall stuff is well implemented too I just wish I would've got this when it came out when the online would've been busy.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

So I finished Spec Ops The Line, Samorost 2 and To The Moon in the space of two days.

My opinion on Spec Ops The Line hasn't really changed, so read above. All I'll add is the stuff they do with the ending is really interesting. If you can find this game cheap, I'd pick it up just so you can have an opinion on it.

Samorost 2 is a very short but sweet adventure game with some lovely visuals...that doesn't really leave much of an impression. There isn't anything wrong with it, just nothing particular special either.

To The Moon is very special though. I'd hesitate to call To The Moon a game, because really you are just experiencing a story by clicking on objects and people, and every so often it might throw something "a bit" challenging your way. But WHAT a story it tells! man oh man is this game well written! Combine this great story with a really powerful soundtrack, and you have an experience that I'm not ashamed to admit got me quite choked up. Now I want to see this team make a game with a story just as powerful, but with an engaging interactive element.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I've been eying up To The Moon for a long time, I am really happy you enjoyed it Josh, it's something I will definitely pick up when I get a new PC in the future.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Fired up Skylanders Giants, and it's just as fun as the original, on a par with the Lego games. It's a bit cheeky that Activision are re-using several of the previous characters for "Wave 2", instead of doing a Pokemon and making an entirely new set. Still, you don't have to buy them would be the arguement. And the 13 I own from the first game work fine.
Think it'd be easy to spend loads if you had kids into this.
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

Finished Dishonored and am doing another playthrough of that, this time on very hard attempting no kills (it's bloody hard). Also playing Tiny Troopers and Unstoppable Gorg. Both are good fun and very nicely presented.

Still plugging away at Fifa 13 and after putting it down for a few months came back to give the single player for Gears of War 3 another stab and I'm enjoying it much more this time round.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I finished off Rage last night. Picked it up cheap a few weeks back, and it was worth a playthrough, but it was just a very straight forward shooter. Quite a lot of the game felt like they only half implemented what they wanted to do, so a lot of the systems seemed out of place or unfinished to me. Also, the driving was awful, turning on a sixpence in what was supposed to be a sandy wasteland! However, the fundamental shooting was enough fun to take me through to the 'end' (or abrubt stop as you might call it).

I have also started a second playthrough of DE: Human Revolution. I had a few things I planned to play next, but having finished Dishonored I got the bug to go back to this, and I'm really enjoying it. I think the combination of preferring the Blade Runner type world it is set in, and loving the original game means it pips Dishonored for me, despite being a bit less innovative in regards to the stealth mechanics.
Haly

Post by Haly »

Trying and failing to get into Dishonored. Going to persevere for a little longer and hope it clicks for me. I suspect my dislike of all things stealth hasn't helped!

On a better note, I'm spending my evenings playing plenty of World of Warcraft thanks to the new expansion pack meaning I can pretend to be a kung fu fighting panda :D I've also recently bought a Vita so been enjoying Uncharted: Golden Abyss on that, as helped by a mild crush on Nathan Drake. ;) Also playing a bit of The Witcher 2 and keep meaning to start Max Payne 3. Aargh. *runs to the pile of Shame thread*
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Not a bad collection of games to be starting. I think I will start Dishonored soon, but I'm currently playing Saints Row: The Third in coop with W1DGET from thee forums - it's so much fun. I also have Lost Odyssey on the go which is rather fabulous. I don't like to play more than two story based titles at a time so X-Com has been put on the backburner for now (and it's why Dishonored hasn't been started.)

Other than that I've also been dipping into PES 2013 and WRC 3 as they're very much pick up and play titles.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

NokkonWud wrote:I also have Lost Odyssey on the go which is rather fabulous.
I absolutely loved Lost Odyssey. Mechanically it's pretty old school but the narrative is refreshingly mature. Also, Jansen is one of my all time favourite lovable rogues!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Lost Odyssey has been giving me guilty looks for about 3 years now, I bought it with my 360 and not played past the opening scene!.

Got Street Fighter x Tekken and Syndicate coming from Lovefilm so I'll get straight into that with a C&R coming up. I'm banning myself from picking Ken/Ryu in the former too.

X Com, loving it so far, the tense feeling when a soldier strays into sight and is fired upon is the same now as it was then.
Haly

Post by Haly »

Lost Odyssey is fantastic :) Best JRPG for the 360 by a mile.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

The Sonic Mole wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:I also have Lost Odyssey on the go which is rather fabulous.
I absolutely loved Lost Odyssey. Mechanically it's pretty old school but the narrative is refreshingly mature. Also, Jansen is one of my all time
favourite lovable rogues!
He's great, he's come out with a few cracking lines that have actually made me giggle.
DomsBeard wrote:Lost Odyssey has been giving me guilty looks for about 3 years now, I bought it with my 360 and not played past the opening scene!.
I did the same but really felt the urge to play it and tallied up 19hours game play in 4 days. It's brilliant, stick with it past the first section, the rewards are worth it, especially those Dreams. Wow, those dreams are really a bit special.
DomsBeard wrote:Got Street Fighter x Tekken and Syndicate coming from Lovefilm so I'll get straight into that with a C&R coming up. I'm banning myself from picking Ken/Ryu in the former too.

I'm up for some Street Fighter x Tekken online, let me know if you fancy a few rounds.
Haly wrote:Lost Odyssey is fantastic :) Best JRPG for the 360 by a mile.
It's a genre I love but always walk away from for no reason, I don't know why. From what I have played its given me so much, love it. The Dreams, the story and the characters, it's really good. I need to get back to it pronto mind.
Craymen Edge

Post by Craymen Edge »

I currently have a crippling addiction to formulaic crime procedurals on Netflix, which isn't helping my progress on Dishonored at all. I seem to be playing it very slowly, 7 hours in and I'm only on the second assasination.

Xcom is taking an inordinate amount of my time at the moment, too. It's so fucking good.

Hopefully i'll get some time for Guild Wars 2's Halloween stuff and Hotline Miami this weekend.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Lovefilm sent me Super Monkey Ball Vita, considering the GamesTM review tore it to shreds, I think it's pretty good. So yeah,give it a shot.