Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by Scrustle »

I just beat the boss of Farron Keep. Such an amazing boss. My favourite one so far I think. Maybe it would be a little bit less impressive to people who are more familiar with the previous games, but it was a really nice surprise for me. In fact it was so cool it actually had me feeling a slight bit annoyed at the game in a way. The way that boss moves is so cool! So fluid and graceful, but really impressive and powerful too. In comparison it makes the player look kind of limited. I know it's all part of the game with how it's all very deliberate, and if you understand your move set properly you can take on most challenges with more or less any weapon, but still I wished I could be doing the things this boss was.

So it was a pleasant surprise to find that you can use the soul you get from that boss to obtain their weapon! I haven't got it yet, since I need to level up my strength one more time before I can wield it, but I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I don't expect I'll be able to do everything that boss could, but just to be able to get some of that would be great. It'll be good to change up my weapon a bit too. I've been using the Uchigatana for a while now. It's a great weapon, but I feel like having something a bit more interesting. It seems it's a really common weapon online too. I want to able to stand out a bit too.

Currently I'm working my way through the area after that boss; the catacombs. It's a tough area. It's full of skeletons, and the more powerful ones are really dangerous. Although I've also found a group of rats nearby the first bonfire in the area a big problem too. I kind of hate rats in this game. They're just rats! Yet they can gang up on you and corner you really easily. They also have the same animation problem from the first game, which the dogs used to have too, but seem to have been fixed now. There's not really a clear tell of when an attack is coming your way. Just an erratic lurch, which can do damage really early in to the animation too. Makes it a real pain trying to judge a safe window to attack.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

You do get the moveset of the boss with that weapon and it looks awesome ;) ,the exile greatsword that you probably have also has a different moveset that's also pretty cool.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Another boss down after another huge struggle
Spoiler: show
pontiff sulyvahn this time. Found the first section to be really easy and the second almost impossible. This really tested my no summoning to the absolute limit. When I killed his ghost and he created another I was so devastated.

When I did do him I had no estus or green grass left. At least he is dead now :-)
I'm finding this to be the harder than the other two I have completed (Bloodborne and DS1) so far. I was expecting it to be easier now I have the previous experience. Maybe I'm levelling the wrong stats...
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Can anyone help me with Ornstein and Smough before I put my foot through the TV? Im a knight, eagle shield and Black Knight Sword and Havels armour. Maybe the armour is too heavy? I'm really struggling.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah your weapon is good enough and while havel gives good protection it makes you way too slow for that fight so I'd advise switch for a lighter armor because being able to roll is gonna be way more usefull also you can summon Solaire which makes the first phase alot easier.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

It seems overwhelming (and took me absolutely forever the first time, I believe I shelved the game for a month).

The best way I found was to concentrate on ornstein first. He's all mouth and no trousers - Most of his moves can be easily blocked, and after he does a combo you have time to get a few hits in. He's quite weak.

You need to keep one eye on a swivel though, to make sure smough isn't coming ;)

Ideally stay well away from smough, run to the far side of the hall. Ornstein will arrive long before him so hit him a few times then run off again, avoiding smough.

Smough can be dealt with then on his own. Still tricky but doable with patience
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

I finally defeated them!!! I stuck with Havels armour and Eagle shield along with a weapon combo of Black Knight Sword and the Lightening Spear I picked up in the Fortress of Sen. Used the lightning spear on Smough which finished him off quite speedily because he is weak to lightening and i was able to get a lot of hits in with it before my stamina ran out. Then with Ornstein, I switched to the Black Knight sword and stayed close to him. Took patience, all my estus flasks and a humanity to heal but I succeeded in the end. Probably took me a couple of hours trying.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Congrats! \[T]/
lessthantv

Post by lessthantv »

Farming for Vertrbrae Shackles on DS3 takes forever :) the drop rate is so low, even with the mimic head & gold serpent ring. Finally done with that, only two more covenants to go...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The Crystal Sage Rapier increases item discovery too. And if you're in NG+ you can get a second one and equip both at the same time to stack the effect. I found that quite useful when I was farming for Swordgrass for the Watchdog's covenant, since that one doesn't seem to work for me.

Currently I'm up against Champion Gundyr in NG+. On my first run through the game I feel like I abused co-op on bosses a little bit too much, so I'm trying to solo everything I can this time through. I've been able to do it on all except one boss so far. I have a feeling this might be the second. I'll give it a good few more tries on my own first though.
lessthantv

Post by lessthantv »

Yeah, I read about that later, but by that point had already used the boss soul for the spell instead as I was going for all spells/pyromancies on my first playthrough.
Ah well, there is always NG+ =)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm playing DS2:SotFS having already finished DS2 before on PS3. I was in the first main area (valley of the Lost giants is it? When just after the second bonfire you go down the ladder, through the rooms and come up to a tree branch to climb to the upper platform where you find one of those turtle men things. On the right there's a ladder to a raised area, with the firebomb undead guy in the corner. Anyway - all of a sudden this giant bird thing swooped over and dropped this massive silver knight thing which killed me straight away. Next time I went up there neither him nor the bird were anywhere to be seen. I don't remember this happening in the original version of the game - did it, and who is he!? I want a rematch!!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yes, that was the Pursuer :)

I didn't meet him till my second play through either, but he was in the original all right. He may appear again...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I remember him from the first game, I beat him in his 'usual' area with the ballast (if that's the word, the massive shooty things) Never encountered him outside that area before though.
Sellardohr

Post by Sellardohr »

That's one of my favorite little touches in Dark Souls II, for all the sense it makes. Every time I play I go up there thinking this is the time I'll beat him here on the roof. I think I've done it, like, once out of a dozen or so characters.

It really gets the blood pumping.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

All the Dark/Demons Souls I've ever played, this is the first time I've decided to make an effort to have some fun with the multiplayer. I'm really enjoying it. I've been leaving my white summon sign outside the cave of the first boss - The giant - and been helping people beat him. It's kinda cool and feels good and helpful haha. I keep getting given tokens of fidelity, are they worth hanging on to?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've been trying a new Dark Souls 3 build in anticipation of the DLC next week. I did a 99 INT caster run a couple of months ago which was a bit of a struggle at times but I ended up doing a load of endgame co-op and killing certain bosses in three hits. They've sensationally nerfed magic though, despite it being almost unworkable for the first half of the game. The Solaire build was great fun but I did it on my Japanese game and don't fancy running that all again.

I'm going with a Luck build this time, the only thing I haven't really done. I cheesed the Swordmaster guy outside Firelink and infused the Uchi with the starting Fire Gem. Bleed and stagger for flipping days and no points in Strength or Dex. Great fun. I think the fire gem is going to suit the wintry vibe of Ariandel too. Anyone else getting ready for Ashes of Ariandel?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Very impressed with the DLC so far. I'm up to the first boss (read: been battered by the first boss for an hour) and I feel like this is easily some of the best stuff in the whole game. I won't say owt else because of spoilers but anyone else playing?
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Ooooof. I'm pretty sure your two choices are all you can do. I know that's how it worked with the first Dark Souls.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

You're out of luck my man. Depending on your level, it might even be worth doing it in NG+. I think they recommend between 100-120, though I think closer to the higher end. I rushed a new character up to Lothric Castle in about fifteen hours last week, in preparation, and I'm at level 80, supposedly a touch over the recommendation, but it's still a very decent challenge. Anyway, I'd say around twelve to fifteen hours on a new character, with a+7 weapon, if you run past everything and don't waste any titanite. I managed to get past Dancer and Oceiros a bit early so I had a +10 weapon by Aldritch, which helped. Anyway, that's what you're looking at.