Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I was just curious. With emulation it's easier to cover them, but I wasn't sure how much interest there was from the group.
GoodShrewsbury

Post by GoodShrewsbury »

New poster here! Just got into this podcast this month and have devoured nearly half of them whilst "working". Love it. And dido on Sound of Play.

As for games I'd like the crew to discuss:

Zeno Clash 1 and 2 (Multi-platform); weird but I found it quite enjoyable at a time when I really wanted something "non-AAA" with a nearly incomprehensible story. Found it. Like to hear the crew's feedback.

Tenchu Stealth Assassins (PS1): In the time of the stealth king, Metal Gear Solid, there was a short time when I considered this on that level. Has not aged as well, but I believe a testament to how good this game was, and perhaps still is considering I haven't played it in nearly 20 years, is that for the first two weeks of owning it I did nothing but replay the first level because I thought it was a blast.

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver (Multiplatform): Had this on PS1, loved it to pieces, never finished it. Truly epic story, with an atmosphere few games at the time could touch. I'd like an excuse to buckle down and complete it.

More recent games I've completed I'd like to hear discussed:

The Witcher series (or maybe just 3, however the other two are wonderful games)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: Come on, you guys are definitely covering this soon right?! I listened to every MGS podcast in the same day and I'm dying to hear what CnR has to say about this one.

Batman Arkham Knight: Again, I love Asylum and City, and I know your guys are fans as well. Although I haven't tried Origins yet I thought this entry was fantastic, albeit insanely frustrating on PC where I've yet to complete New Game Plus because of crashes.

SORRY to be long-winded, just excited to be part of the community. Thanks!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

GoodShrewsbury wrote: Tenchu Stealth Assassins (PS1): In the time of the stealth king, Metal Gear Solid, there was a short time when I considered this on that level. Has not aged as well, but I believe a testament to how good this game was, and perhaps still is considering I haven't played it in nearly 20 years, is that for the first two weeks of owning it I did nothing but replay the first level because I thought it was a blast.
I do have good memories of that game as well, scurrying across the rooftops on that first level... I must never revisit that game, as I have no need to ruin my memories of playing through the whole game. :shock:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hi and welcome GoodShrewsbury.

The games you mention are already on our very long list.
:)
Alphizzle

Post by Alphizzle »

Some other suggestions of games I'd like to see discussed on the podcast:

- Black (PS2 Game)
- Spiderman aka Spiderman 2000 (Classic PS1 Game)
- The Complete Legacy of Kain series (Whilst this is undoubtedly a big ask, I was first introduced to your presence via your Denis Dyack interview (founder of the series), so tha​​​​​​​​t gifted insight, matched with your ability to provide in-depth analysis will make for a great podcast, discussing your opinions on the evolution of the series as you played through each game...which could possibly segway into the perceived impact that the different creative visions of Silicon Knights and Crystal Dynamics had on the series from your perspective.)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Black and the LoK series are already on the list. I have added Spider-Man (2000) and Spider-Man 2 (2004).
Alphizzle

Post by Alphizzle »

Thank you for your response and awesome.

I neglected to suggest the Sims series (take your pick out of which few, as I wouldn't expect you to cover every Game in the series. My introduction to the series began with the PS2 version that came before 'busting out,' if I remember correctly....so maybe cover that and one or two others?) Is this suggestion already on the list?

As I'm a new fan/community member, is there a way to see the list so that I don't repeat suggestions? :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No, the long-list is for team eyes only.

It has around 1500 games on it so it's generally fairly safe to assume that any 'obvious' choice is probably on there.

Don't worry too much about making what might be duplicate suggestions though.
Alphizzle

Post by Alphizzle »

The Getaway and The Getaway: Black Monday...can't believe I forgot to suggest these two...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alphizzle wrote:The Getaway and The Getaway: Black Monday
Added.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

When is the list due to be finalised? Remember it being around the end of November last year and being ridiculously excited to find out what was on it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The next 50 shows will be announced at some point in December.
Alphizzle

Post by Alphizzle »

Hope that I'm asking this in the right section, given that this thread relates to the podcast. I have listened to 10+ podcast episodes so far. From my understanding you very rarely have guests appear on the show (there is sometimes an American cast member...and on the God of War 3 podcast there was an individual named Darren Foreman - just finished listening to the God of War 3 podcast). So I'm curious, how does one earn a slot on the podcast panel?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Actually we have quite a lot of guests on - I haven't done the maths but I'd say it's around one in three shows maybe?

Guests are invited on basis of their knowledge, passion, reliability and - crucially - for their capability to express themselves verbally.

They usually have a solid track record of producing entertaining podcasts of their own, though not always.

Darren Forman was part of the original Cane and Rinse line-up but isn't around any more btw.

There's no hard and fast rule about how one gets to be a part of the core team. It tends to happen organically, although some have targeted the 'job' and have made their way in by proving their commitment to the project, as well as impressing me/us in some way (or multiple ways).

It's a pretty big commitment too, and unlike other podcasts there are a lot of stipulations about 'house style', editorial, tone and such that everyone tries to stick to, without compromising their own opinions or personalities.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

One thing I especially like about C&R is that adherence to a set of rules. No matter who's presenting, it always feels of an ilk. Not the same of course, but there's a comforting familiarity, as with Radio 4 breakfast. You feel in safe hands.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The fact you guys have a 'house style' is one of the things that marks you out as a different kind of beast to something like Podquisition (as fun as that is) and so on.

The 'express themselves verbally' is also why I'm unlikely to ever go from sometimes guest on Sound of Play to the main cast. I'm a terrible rambler, mumbler and 'speaks too fast' type :) (I'm definitely better working from script which I've had time to write beforehand. My medium would more likely be short scripted videos like Extra Credits or Game Maker's Toolkit if I did decide I wanted to put my voice out there).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's the intention (or one of them anyway) so that's gratifying to hear, thank you guys.

It's essential for me to know that I can leave particular shows in the hands of the rest of the team and know that all is in safe hands - plus as a bonus I get to listen to a Cane and Rinse podcast 'fresh'.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Darren Forman was part of the original Cane and Rinse line-up but isn't around any more btw.
But... I was told he'd come back to aggressively educate everyone on a potential future Ninja Gaiden podcast... My hopes and dreams... Extinguished in an instant. :(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If we ever do decide to cover Ninja Gaiden I will endeavour to get Darren back in the studio.
:)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Happiness! Relief! Tears of joy!