The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
Kid Skitzky

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Kid Skitzky »

Ever since I've started following Sound of Play, I've been a lot more attentive to a game's soundtrack than ever before. It seems like I always used to take a video game's music for granted, without fully appreciating just how integral it was to the game's identity as a piece of art. This wasn't the case when I recently played Pokemon Sun. What an outstanding soundtrack! Of course, the Pokemon series has a long, storied history of excellent music since Red and Blue, but I find each and every entry into the series outdoing the last. Go Ichinose and Jun'ichi Masuda composed this track, both of whom have been offering their talent since the Gold/Silver era (and Masuda even before then, who contributed to Red and Blue). Pokemon Sun and Moon replaced Gym Leaders with Island Kahunas, who feel much more approachable and less harrowing. This track especially reflects that idea. Even though it sounds a bit friendlier this time around, it never made me feel I should let my guard down. I still felt the weight of the battle. I was still "filled with determination." :) I think Pokemon Sun and Moon are the best entries to the series in years, and the soundtrack alone is a major influence of that opinion. Any Pokemon fan, casual or hardcore, should give it a go.
Sam_What

Post by Sam_What »

I'd like to request a track from Stewart Copeland and the original Spyro the Dragon. Lofty Castle is not a particularly memorable stage but the accompanying track contains so much of what was 'Spyro' to me; cloudy vistas, imaginative worlds and charming designs. Lofty Castle's theme is a microcosmic concentration of nostalgia for what the Spyro experience was for me, for what I found most enjoyable about the series as a youngster, when it was simply about exploring new dream-like worlds (without the pretentious narratives). The melody here is hopeful and adventurous with a string of fairy tale piano throughout, perfectly set alongside the playful and mischievous enemies of Lofty Castle. Mr Copeland's distinctive percussion and charismatic guitar riffs have etched in me a permanent childhood memory and I believe his accomplished score perfectly captured the tone and charm of the original Spyro the Dragon.

MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

Is it just me, or do 16-bit era sports games have some of the catchiest soundtracks?
Mechner

Post by Mechner »

Hi,

First post to the Forum, I love the shows, well done to you sirs.

I am a long time listener of both cane and rinse, and the sound of play podcasts, They help me stay awake on the road getting to and from gigs in the wee hours of the morning, as I usually travel alone in the car.
It feels like I am part of the team, sitting in the room sharing in your conversation about video games, (a favourite hobby of mine) it's the reason I am yet to fall asleep at the wheel or crash my car on these journeys. For that I thank you.

I will, like yourselves in a regular show, suggest 3 pieces of video game music that you could maybe add to your, (I am sure) long list of submissions.

All of which are main themes.

1. Jack's Theme - Headhunter 2001 Richard Jacques

This to start is from the Dreamcast/PS2 game "headhunter", a game that I myself feel is a little under-rated gem, Largely overshadowed by the huge MGS2 at the time, this game, sadly faded into obscurity. It was one of the last kicks of Sega trying to keep the dying Dreamcast alive, with an up to date Action/Adventure game. This being the main theme from the game, they mean business, taking its cues from MGS with a Soaring Orchestra sitting over a pumping electronic back beat, you can't help but feel as glorious and shit-cool as Headhunters main protagonist "Jack Wade". Triumphant trumpets pound your ears as you race down the road on Jack Wades motorbike, wearing sun glasses as you solve puzzles, shoot baddies and get your headhunter licence, in a world ripe with satire, very similar to that of Robocop. it is a sin this game hasn't a bigger following, which is maybe in part to a terrible PS2 port, where the bike is impossible to control. It did have a sequel on the Xbox... Though I would suggest you largely ignore that and never play it, pretend it doesn't exist.

2. Main Theme - Deus Ex (PS2 version) 2002

The game that "Every time you mention it, SOMEONE will reinstall it", My first experience of this was on an old Windows 98 Dell PC with an 11mb Diamond Viper Graphics card, and by god, that main theme started, slow electronic build, like the start of a electrical storm with the Deus Ex logo spinning in glorious early 2000's 3D, shortly exploding into the main theme, I was so taken aback, I was pumped to play this game, techno inspired back beats, Searing lead synth lines that suggest mystery, intrigue, and conspiracy. Epic and big. It has always reminded me of Soviet Russia for some reason, while a lot of people comment on how amazing Deus Ex is, I think its a shame the music isn't discussed more, that theme is just mind blowing. I have opted to use the PS2 version as it is a little curio, recorded with a live orchestra and has an even more bombastic and if its even possible more EPIC feel to the whole thing. While it's a nice difference the original will always be close to my heart. Talking about it has made me want to reinstall it!

3. New Angels of Promise - David Bowie, Reeves Gabrielle
The Nomad Soul (PC/Dreamcast) 1999

My final submission, is an original piece of music written for a game, by none other than the late David Bowie. (I know you have from time to time included songs written by artist for games, i.e. the national's song from portal) This is in my top 10 video games of all time, and the definition of a hidden gem.

These days when people talk about David Cage, they talk about how "he has disappeared up his own, story-telling arse" and "he doesn't make games, he makes movies", and people whom talk about his work, generally speak of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy onwards, merely glossing over "The Nomad Soul", even Quantic Dream do it themselves, usually without speaking more than two words about it. I'm also looking at you Cane and Rinse Episodes 96/100 and 216. It is worth your time to be played, released in 1999 a staggering 2 years before GTA 3 hit store shelves and having a free roaming Blade runner style city, where you could drive your car, get out and explore the stores, restaurants, gun shop even morgues amongst many other things, You can attend live concerts of a digital David bowie, all while playing a detective and solving a mystery. It is such a creative and intriguing game.

My first experience of this, is borrowing a copy for the PC of a friend in my primary school, I remember walking out from that alley in the opening throes for the first time, being treated with a huge city to explore, which seemed ripe with possibilities, only to be shortly stopped while the unskippable credits sequenced rolled.. accompanied by none other than David bowie, as a kid I hated this song... all I wanted to do, is get out there and explore.. but Bowie crooned on New Angels of Promise.. as I grew older and reinstalled it many times over the years, the song slowly grew on me, So much so that I became a fan of Bowie, the song is so obscure to Bowie fans that many don't know of its existence, It is a true cracker of a tune, Rock guitars with heavy back beats, sounding otherworldly, all befit of a cracking game. I hope it at least entices people to play it, because we were promised a sequel that was never canceled.

Thanks for your time guys, and your fantastic podcasts, I hope i wasn't too long winded.

who knows maybe like Bowie, I could be your digital guest.

Cheers
Jack Ahern A.K.A mechner
CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

Having never heard of Tim Follin before listening to the podcast.
SOP has musically educated me in the genius that is Tim Follin and I have tracked down some of his fantastic tunes to share with you all enjoy!

Just simply awesome!!!
Plok - Beach (SNES)

This is the Amiga version, there is also a C64 version but I think the Amiga version edges it for me.
Gauntlet III, Title Music (Amiga)

Rock out dude.
Silver Surfer (NES)

Another work of genius, what fun sounds he managed to squeeze out of the speccy.
Star Paws (ZX Spectrum)

I had this on the Atari ST, it was a match 2 puzzle game where you had to clear all the shapes before progressing to the the next level.
Game play wise I wasn't hooked and found it to be just an ok game.
This is a very fun tune, I never played this in the arcade but it reminds me of sitting in a dark smokey arcade in the 90s.
Puzznic Main Theme (Amiga)

I just found that he also composed music with his brother. This track just oozes atmosphere.
This is the short version, there is also a 9 minute version. Can you spot the nod to solstice?
"Tori" from Equinox (with Geoff Follin, SNES), equinox is the sequel to solstice.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Because I'm curious but also lazy, I'm just going to ask: has the music from Super Castlevania IV been on the show yet? That would be my musical submission. It's' so damn good.
CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

I first heard of Jonathan Coulton after his album was included in a humble bundle. I had no idea he had any involvement in portal until I completed portal 2 and Googled the artist. I then went back and played portal 1 from the orange box. I have chosen the original end credits song "Still Alive" from portal 1. I really enjoyed the end credits sung by glados. It was such an unusual but fun song sung by an AI and so different from the AI that was trying to kill you though out the game. "The Cake is a lie".

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:Because I'm curious but also lazy, I'm just going to ask: has the music from Super Castlevania IV been on the show yet? That would be my musical submission. It's' so damn good.
http://caneandrinse.com/sound-play-5/
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Joshihatsumitsu wrote:Because I'm curious but also lazy, I'm just going to ask: has the music from Super Castlevania IV been on the show yet? That would be my musical submission. It's' so damn good.
http://caneandrinse.com/sound-play-5/
Thanks for the link! I have my earphones in at work and I'm now listening along...
CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

Super mario world is without doubt my favourite mario game of all time. I first played this game when I went to my cousins house in my early teens. I was blown away by the smooth controls great graphics and fantastic music and sound effects. It really had a sense of exploration going to the next stage when you navigate the world map. I don't know why Nintendo have not returned to a similar world map but instead seem to be following the maps navigation from SMB3 which for me just doesn't have an element of exploring a world and finding secrets paths. I couldn't afford to buy a SNES during its generation but I did buy a snes about 10 years later just to play this game, you cant get better than playing this game on a CRT with the snes control pad. The soundtrack is exceptionally good and when my brother came home one day in the late 90s with a CD cryptically labeled "smw xoc", I had no idea what is was about when popping it into the CD player but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was a remix of the super mario world ost. I have since found out that xoc is Jason Cox (cox backwards geddit) and have checked out his other Nintendo remixes (they are also very good btw). Although pretty much the entire remix is great and have it firmly lodged in my ipod I have chosen the main theme to share with you all. Its such a great track and it seems that xoc was really having fun and jamming with lots of instruments. Enjoy!

Donk

Post by Donk »

I discovered Jake 'virt' Kaufman through an online video game music radio station. I've only played one game he's created music for (Shovel Knight) but I've gone and bought most of his releases on Bandcamp. The man is a genious.

It's hard to pick one tune but for now I'll submit this one from a game I had never even heard of or seen before, Burning Town from "Shantae: Risky's Revenge"
https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/burning ... ever-remix
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Kotaku have put out their annual list of their favourite game music pieces of the year. Decent list, good mix of the obvious and the obscure.

I'll be doing my own list as a YouTube playlist at some point in the downtime between Christmas and new year, it's been a strong year.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

2016 was a great year for game music.

The podcast team have shown you their favourites in a most excellent episode earlier this week.

But I thought it would be fun to explore the year some more. Here's a playlist of 12 tracks, one for a game released in each month, that shows just how wide the range of styles has gotten in this little industry we call Games.

2016 in Game Music: Off the Beaten Track

I'll put the track list behind a spoiler tag so the post isn't too big.
Spoiler: show
January - Epiphany Fields from 'Oxenfree'
February - What we Leave Behind from 'The Flame in the Flood'
March - Ferrum Dojo from 'Pokken Tournament'
April - Return to Corneria from 'Starfox Zero'
May - The Empire of Man from 'Total War: Warhammer'
June - Prepare for Boarding from 'Steamworld: Heist'
July - A Picture in Motion from 'Furi'
August - No Good from 'This is the Police'
September - Flash Forward from 'Virginia'
October - Wheels of Aurelia from 'Wheels of Aurelia'
November - Secrets of the Louvre from 'Eagle Flight'
December - Dance through the Danger from 'Shantae: Half Genie Hero'
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders!

I remember my old 386 PC with a whole 2mb of ram and a 40mb harddrive pumping this tune out through it's sole PC speaker back in the day... the whole PC vibrated to the music and it felt so epic at the time!

My PC speaker used to vibrate massively at one specific note, best exemplified in the Quest for Glory 1 theme tune, but I can't seem to find a PC speaker version of that tune anywhere on youtube, so this will make do as a close 2nd place.

The Police Quest games had some great music also, I'll put one of those up at another time.

Octorok385

Post by Octorok385 »

I'm still in the process of looking through the archives, but has Sound of Play included any tracks from the Etrian Odyssey series? Those games have some killer tracks, especially during the 3DS era when the sound upgraded to live players. "The End of Raging Winds" from EO4 (originally featured in EO3) and "Destruction Begets Decay" (Etrian Odyssey Untold) always get me pumped. Like, even if I'm just taking out the trash.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Octorok385 wrote:I'm still in the process of looking through the archives, but has Sound of Play included any tracks from the Etrian Odyssey series? Those games have some killer tracks, especially during the 3DS era when the sound upgraded to live players. "The End of Raging Winds" from EO4 (originally featured in EO3) and "Destruction Begets Decay" (Etrian Odyssey Untold) always get me pumped. Like, even if I'm just taking out the trash.
You can check out this threa that compiles all track featured on Sound of Play: http://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1601 I dont believe Etrian Odyssey had been featured yet though.
GoodShrewsbury

Post by GoodShrewsbury »

How has, possibly, the most inspirational 8-bit tune ever not been played!?

I've never beaten beaten Mike Tyson, or Mr. Dream, but it's not the dad from Family Matters' fault.

I'm actually surprised he can keep up on the bike.

Pink track suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW3UoN15fPs
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Going to go for something from Shantae Half Genie Hero I think.

Half Genie Hero is a hugely fun platform game that takes it's inspiration from all sorts of places. There's a lot of Wonderboy 3 in here (specifically changing into animals to access previously unreachable areas of levels), a chunk of Castlevania (the relics system is straight out of Symphony of the Night), but much of it is focused on evoking the feel of the 16-bit mascot platformer era (whilst avoiding pixel art and chip tunes). So the music sounds like you remember those MegaDrive era games sounding, but not how they actually sounded.

Here's 'Hypno Baron's Castle', the games obligatory Haunted House stage.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

In 2016 one of the games that most took me by surprise was the roguelike mob simulator Okhlos! A game about forming a giant mob of angry greeks to take on the gods,not only the gameplay was really fun and chaotic but the music was one of the main reasons I liked it so much especially how the music fits the gameplay perfectly,most songs start fairly subdued but as the stage progresses and you start to increase the size of the mob and the destruction on screen the music starts to grow getting more instruments and energy to match the action,the best example for this is probably the music from the first stage Delphi:

Also for those who like some smooth jazz,the smooth jazz shop theme is a nice break from all the chaos
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Saw this on Reddit today and thought everyone should see it!

Awesome work by this guy in Majoras Mask to play various famous tunes on the 3DS.