All things Resident Evil (Biohazard)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: All things Resident Evil (Biohazard)

Post by DomsBeard »

I've just finished it now and echo what is said above. I think the story could've been fleshed out a bit more but as you said it makes more sense now I've finished it
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I clocked it at 9:15 hours and
Spoiler: show
got ending 1
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote:I clocked it at 9:15 hours and
got ending 1
Ah, same as me 8-) .

I was hoping for a Ranking, A, B, C, etc... like they used too but nothing.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I've tried to have an open mind. I've tried the demos and I've read all the positive reviews, but to me RE 7 just looks like a bad knockoff of a Rob Zombie movie. And the setting feels as out of date as one.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just thinking back,
It wasn't made clear what happened to Lucas was it?, the last time you see him is after solving the birthday puzzle. I think he is referenced by the Umbrella guys as working for them when you listen to the radio
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, yeah. Good point.

Perhaps some of the upcoming DLC will touch on it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The latest Not a Hero trailer came out yesterday during TGS:

I remain... shall I say "unconvinced" by RE7 in general. Setting my expectations accordingly low for my future purchase.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Resident Evil 2 (Biohazard 2)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can leave your thoughts regarding Resident Evil 2 (Biohazard 2) for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Resident Evil (1996)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can leave your thoughts regarding Resident Evil (1996)* for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.

* Be aware that this show is specifically about the original 1996 version, along with the Director's Cut and the DS version Deadly Silence. The remade 2002 version will be covered later in issue 324
Alex79

Re: 301: Resident Evil (1996)

Post by Alex79 »

Ah man, I was going to play the PS4 release of this after I'd finished a replay of Uncharted 2. I think I'll put that on hold and try to get this finished before the podcast! Would be nice to get some thoughts down and I've not played it since the Gamecube remake release. That's my evening sorted! (What do you mean, it's New Year's Eve? I don't care!)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Wipeout was my first game on the PS1 but Resident Evil was the game that made me realise how much gaming had changed from the SNES. No longer were we getting kiddieish fare like "Zombies ate my Neighbours".

Voice acting?

Atmospheric X-files type music?

Video cut scenes with real story elements?

All of these things felt fresh and new with this game.

The cherry on top was that it was a *genuine* horror game, my favourite genre.

I know it's clunky, I know the voice acting is laughable but I don't care.

By today's standards it's incredibly primitive, but by the standards of its time, it showed the promise of the future and what video games were going to be able to do.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Damn, I forgot how unforgiving this game was. I'm starting again on easy, haha. I just want to get through the story!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do you know what date you'll be recording this episode? Thanks!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79uk wrote: January 1st, 2018, 2:40 pm Do you know what date you'll be recording this episode? Thanks!
Not sure the exact date but most likely over this weekend since it's set to initially be released via the Patreon on the 15th
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ta :)
Bakers_12

Re: 301: Resident Evil (1996) *recording 07.01.2018

Post by Bakers_12 »

I first played this game when the remake went on PS+. After a struggle getting used to playing the game in a way that makes if possible to survive to the first save room I was surprised buy how well the game stands up now without any nostalgia. I need to get round to playing the second character’s play though.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

When I was a child, I would often sit in my brother's room and watch him play videogames. One day, he played something I'd never seen before. Everything about it was a little bit "off." An eerie silence filled each room of a mansion suffused by stillness and dread, interrupted only by doors that creep open to reveal an inky blackness and closing behind the player character with a disconcerting slam. Cameras didn't work the way I knew they should (Super Mario 64 being a then-recent memory), taking the filmic language of cinematography and transplanting it without translation or convention to videogames, creating something restrained and claustrophobic, simple and disorienting, familiar and disconcerting. Finally, in a corner of the mansion, we found a body being hovered over by a shadow. A writhing, crunching noise subsuming the silence. As we grew closer, the shadow turned, revealing a pale visage and a bloody mouth. As the zombie lurched towards the player character, my brother paused the game, handed me the controller, and left the room with a mocking "have fun," turning the light out as he left.

I didn't dare unpause it, and I sat in terrified darkness until he returned.

Today, it may seem silly that the poorly-rendered and pixelated mess of that first zombie would terrify me into non-action, but back when Resident Evil was new, it really really did. I wouldn't return to the inaugural Resident Evil until well after I'd played and finished the 2002 Gamecube reimagining, and while the horror didn't hold up, the bones of the franchise still did: Simplified, Maniac Mansion-style adventure puzzling coupled with limited ammunition and a mansion filled with zombies and other, worse horrors. Capping it all off with a relatively brief playing time that encourages replays and speedruns, and it's no wonder that Resident Evil continues, through various iterations and permutations, to this day.

When it was new, I wasn't quite ready to enter the Survival Horror. But today, I'm glad that I did, and that first moment with that first zombie is a formative moment in my videogame life.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I wonder whether it is worth combining this podcast and the updated version. Maybe it’s me but obviously the graphics overhaul and controller changes are important but maybe not enough for a separate podcast.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think it makes sense to keep the original and the 2002 GameCube version separate, on account of the latter having been fully remade from the ground up. The differences between the two are much more extensive than a mere graphics overhaul. But speaking of updated versions of the original, will this episode include the Director's Cut and Deadly Silence re-releases?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 11:23 pm But speaking of updated versions of the original, will this episode include the Director's Cut and Deadly Silence re-releases?
Yes, it will. The title became too long on the post to include mention of them