Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I've also been listening to S-Town, only two chapters in so far but it seems good. I like the way they're presenting it just as Serial was, it seems real!
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

I've just got to where I think is the end. It gets MUCH better!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I finally got a copy of the Songs from the Wood 40th by Jethro Tull today.

It's fucking great!
Beck

Post by Beck »

Sleaford Mods - Very political, working class, grime? Love it.

The lyrics are not safe for work.

https://youtu.be/pib_cTazfxg
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Beck wrote: May 22nd, 2017, 1:45 pm Sleaford Mods - Very political, working class, grime? Love it.

The lyrics are not safe for work.

https://youtu.be/pib_cTazfxg
First impressions and I'm not keen. My closest comparison would be a cross between The Streets and the Sex Pistols. Two bands I love.

Having said that, I get the feeling it would grow on me. I'll be listening to it a few more times yet.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I had the exact same response but have grown to love them, they come across as very abrasive but there is something endearing about them. I much prefer listening to them live than their studio releases.
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

I'm constantly on the look out for new music, presently some mainstays in my ears are:

"Lines of the Broken" by DROELOE x San Holo. Initially I wasn't 100% on this one but it quickly grew on me and I intend to purchase it as soon as I get a little spare change.
Spoiler: show
I tend to prefer a few listens on Youtube before taking the $1.29 plunge on iTunes, although the next track got me to purchase it the second I stopped my car after Shazam-ing it...

Bassnectar's "Reaching Out" might just be one of the most brilliant electronic songs I've heard in a long time.

Just to check I'm not all-electronic, I take pride in a varied palate (a word which I often google to be sure I'm using the right one). The Strumbellas "Spirits"

Youtube suggested Jesse Siren's "The Sway" some time ago and I'm glad it did.

Sometimes when you let youtube keep playing music it will reward your laziness: Cryptex - Slay It

Another one from Cryptex that I cannot determine how to possess. I bought "Slay it" soon after hearing it but this one: Heart Anthem, exists in some kind of limbo because it's a remix. I can't get it from Kraddy or Cryptex it seems. I'd love to support either artist with my purchase, but alas...

I don't typically place much value in the lyrics of a song. Sort of like games, I like if there's a good story but I do not require it. The story is in the music, the voice is just an instrument. So I don't even require that I know what they're saying if they sing it in a way that strikes well with the song. Julieta Venegas "Verte Otra Vez" could be telling me off something fierce, but I just think it sounds heartening.

I'm not crazy about the voice work in "Hyperreal" by Flume feat. Kučka, sometimes it works and at other times it doesn't, but the music is undeniably badass.

At once more and less questionable voice: PETIT BISCUIT's "Sunset Lover" somehow seems very... romantic?

I'd never heard of Nym, not sure where I picked it up. I'm in the U.S.A. and I listen to NPR. They frequently include unique music in their segments, so much so I actually set Shazam to auto if I know I'll have NPR on for a bit. In any case, the track that lured me to Nym was Redwood, but the one which really enchanted me was "Lesser Known Good." It gets into samples later but it starts so cowboy I considered making some kind of Western-genre playlist.

I ran into The Shanghai Restoration Project several years ago on my Ratatat Pandora Station. They popped up on NPR yesterday. So many tracks... too many to YouTube-link in good conscience with those massive video frames in the post. Here are a few:
Babylon of the Orient (There's also "Babylon of the Occident")
Spring in a Small Town
Princess Iron Fan
Nanking Road

Here's one I snatched off NPR just yesterday: Kettel - Candace Bouvard. It takes awhile to kick off, 1:04 for me to be exact.

I wish I had more time to listen to more music. I tend to multitask poorly, so I don't listen to music all the time, but I invest unevenly in it. I pay for SiriusXM but I carefully vet songs before buying them off iTunes (often I'm tired of them before I decide I should purchase them). I drive a lot for work so that's good listening time, but I also enjoy podcasts and NPR. Sometimes I do a little listening while working but a lot of my work demands too much focus for that. I would love to make a living listening to and curating collections.

...last but not least.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Now where do I know the opening to that Petit Biscuit tune from? Not so much once it starts properly but those opening notes.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I recently downloaded all the licensed tracks from tails from the borderlands and can't stop listening to them. Someone has a good ear for a tune at telltale.
Bloody Initiate

I've heard really good things about Tales from the Borderlands but haven't gotten around to checking it out. As I recall everything Borderlands has had good soundtracks. I have Dam Top from Borderlands 2 downloaded and I was looking for the longest time for the tannis-rides-fish easter egg music. Even when the music in the games wasn't super awesome on its own, it always managed to establish its own identity.
Alex79uk wrote: August 10th, 2017, 12:13 am Now where do I know the opening to that Petit Biscuit tune from? Not so much once it starts properly but those opening notes.
I don't know, but now that you mention I think it does sound very familiar. Up until now I had assumed it was simply deja vu for the song itself. I don't know where you would have heard it but the Youtube comments have a lot of mentions of the Dolan twins? I don't know who they are but perhaps it will ring a bell.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha yeah I saw those comments and investigated. The Dolan Twins are definitely not on my list of things I need nor want to watch! You might be right though, it may just be similar to something else. I had Hotline Miami or a TV ad in my head, but Google searches aren't helping me find anything else it might have be used on. I even search a samples website to see if had used the same sample and nothing. It's so familiar though!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Tales from the Borderlands does have some great licensed tracks in it.

I mean, the first chapters opening credits (which isn’t at the beginning of the game, it does a tv style cold open) uses Busy Earnin, and it only gets better from there.

Bloody Initiate

A couple quick shots:

And the weird kid...

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Been listening to Hidden Dimensions, the latest album of spacey instrumental prog metal from Widek. Another really high quality piece of work. I especially like the track Fourth Dimension, at 25:10.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The new Godspeed You Black Emperor! album is out. Listening now. It's brilliant, predictably. Maybe it's just my current state of mind but it's incredibly dark, tense and foreboding. Is it as good as their earlier work? Far too early to say, I always find their albums need a good few listens to form a solid opinion, but it's certainly worth listening to.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Now, I'm not particularly a fan but neither can you be as you've definitely got that exclamation mark in the wrong place.
;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha dammit! I bloody knew that as well :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bloody loving the new Orbital tune.

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Working on a Ghouls and Ghosts clear at the moment.
Listening to this about 30 times a day.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Classic!

I've been listening to a lot of synthwave (I believe the cool kids are calling it) at work today. Started with the Furi soundtrack, which is exceptional - probably even better than the Hotline Miami soundtrack, but nobody seems to have mentioned it much whereas everyone was saying how good Hotline was. But then I started investigating some of the artists featured on it, and discovered Carpenter Brut, who is really good if you like that sort of thing. Check it out if you enjoyed the Hotline Miami tunes. He released a live album this year and tours with a live drummer and guitarist. Really top notch electro stuff. Very Perturbator.