The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
Flabyo

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Flabyo »

Something I've not done in the thread for a while: some general music appreciation without it being a request for the show...

Phantasy Star 2 is out on mobile devices now for free as part of the new SEGA retro initiative. It was one of the first JRPGs I ever played, and it's a hard game to love in the modern era. But that battle theme... so catchy.

It's launch title megadrive stuff, so very limited compared to what people pushed out of that machine later on, but I still love it.

The main loop of it crops up in the background of several tracks in the Phantasy Star Online series, but it hasn't really been tackled by many remixers.

This version from DMC gives it a sound that reminds me a lot of the Noriyuki Iwadare composed battle themes from the Grandia series:
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Hi all,

apologises if I've missed it but here is a track I'd like to suggest for the Sound of Play podcast:

The misadventures of P.B Winterbottom: Chronoberry. Composed by David Stanton.

I think this is possibly the only time I can think that a soundtrack got me interested for a game, rather than finding a great sound track within a game. First heard it with the debut trailer and I was interested enough in this example of dark cabaret to search out the game. Ultimately, I didn't get very far with the game - platform puzzlers really aren't my cup of tea but the dark, macabre and ever so quirky atmosphere within the game is brilliantly summed up in the sound track.
brazenhead89

Post by brazenhead89 »

Here's a track that's almost, but not quite, from Bayonetta.
Though this version appears in Bayonetta's exceptionally fun 'Route 666' stage, older gamers will instantly recognise the melody as being taken wholesale from Sega's classic arcade game, After Burner. Word is that Hideki Kamiya loved the classic track so much that he wanted it in-game without subtlety or secrecy.
Bayonetta is perhaps the only game I can think of whose idea of 'respite' is a white-knuckle, mach-speed shootout from the saddle of a speeding motorcycle. That's exactly what the stage accompanying this music entails, and the two of them compliment each other so brilliantly that my facial muscles were almost aching under the strain of my euphoric grin the first time I played it.
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

Hi everyone :mrgreen:
I can’t believe I haven’t suggested this track yet! It’s one of my favorite pieces from one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

"Unbroken Road", by Jeremy Soule (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

No matter how flawed Skyrim as a game is in many ways, one thing I absolutely love about it is its score. I don’t consider myself a music snob, not even close, but in my humble personal opinion I hold the work Jeremy Soule did for The Elder Scrolls series as an absolute masterpiece in modern classical music (I hope that doesn’t sound contradictory :lol: ). If Morrowind and Oblivion OSTs elicit peacefulness and adventure, Skyrim’s evokes on top of that heroicism, contemplation and beauty. The instrumentation, the amazing voice work and, of course, the dramatic effect of this particular soundtrack is remarkable, I can’t praise this OST enough :)

---

There’s another piece from this soundtrack that I think it’s alright if you don’t feature in the show because of its gargantuan length (over 40 minutes!) but I want to post it here anyway. It’s the most peaceful and atmospheric track in the whole game, I just love it too damn much! :)

"Skyrim Atmospheres", by Jeremy Soule (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

P.S.: Congratulations for reaching 100 episodes of Sound of Play! 8-)
Mononoke

Post by Mononoke »

Time for some more entries methinks. Nothing like being surprised by one of your submissions coming into your earbuds on Sound of Play!

My first pick is from the somewhat popular game - The Elder Scrolls V: The One with the Dragons in it. Other than the cracking main theme of course, my favourite track on this marvellous soundtrack is 'One They Fear'. It plays most prominently during the games many dragon fights, and makes these already pretty epic encounters even more epic than the epic proportions they have already epically reached. Did I mention this track is epic?

My second pick is from another dragon-orientated video game - Spyro The Dragon. I really enjoy all three of the soundtracks from all three of the original PS1 Spyro games by former 'The Police' drummer Stewart Copeland. They are a real eclectic mix of instrumentation and composition that really enhances the personality of all three Insomniac games, but the original game's soundtrack is still my favourite. 'Toasty' is my chosen track mostly for its simple yet catchy main melody, but also because it plays during the games first "boss fight" which is a nostalgic one for me - a sheep on stilts impersonating a giant scarecrow. You can't get much more charming than that.

brazenhead89

Post by brazenhead89 »

I'm not entirely sure how I didn't submit this one earlier, frankly.
Guacamelee came out just before the Metroidvania resurgence in the indie scene and, though it lacked the atmosphere of the darker Metroid or Castlevania games, it made up for it with an exceptional understanding of both series' mechanics, plus their perfect balancing of exploration and reward. If I may get a little 'Cane and Rinse' for a moment, it arguably worked its character upgrades more organically than any other game of its type; your list of wrestling moves not only made pummeling enemies easier, but also allowed for more possibilities for exploration; your uppercut, for example, made for an effective double jump whilst your body slam could break through hollow ground. It was a simple yet holistic approach to your character's abilities.
Also, getting back to the point, the music was rather blinding too. This is the music from the first main area of the game, the 'Forest Del Chivo'. It's an up-Tempo Latin rhythm with a slight, creepy edge to it that sets up the remainder of the game exceptionally. Later on in the game, as you begin to travel between the worlds of the the living and the dead with the push of a button, the music would actually switch between brighter and somber tones within the same track.
I've provided the lighter, land of the living version of 'Forest Del Chivo', though I'd urge you to look up its dark world equivalent or better yet, experience it hands-on by playing this frankly brilliant game.

Dingle Dongle

Post by Dingle Dongle »

In the wake of Crash Bandicoot The N.Sane Trilogy, I have decided to post a song from a more more unknown platforming mascot. Kingsley's Adventure is what I think of when I look at medieval influences in my childhood. The game has a clunkier 'croc'-like control system but what I really loved were the story-book vibes and soundtrack. The track I've selected is the song which is a theme that sticks in my head when I think of a classic royal palace. Carrot Castle.

KeroseneBlast

Post by KeroseneBlast »

One of my favorite and underappreciated games is Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. Composed by Noriyuki Iwadare, the soundtrack is just fantastic, complementing a great fantasy JRPG and setting a light-hearted tone for the game. Unlike most games which simply loop the music on the soundtrack, each piece has a conclusion that gives a nice finish to each track. The track Dragonship Destiny plays on the overworld when you receive your world-traveling ship, and is one of my favorites from the game, setting you up for an exciting adventure. I hope it gets rereleased someday like its predecessor, Lunar: Silver Star Story.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Please allow me a moment of self indulgence. This autumn will mark the fifth anniversary of me moving to Japan and one of my favourite times of year is summer. I've grown to love the unavoidable choirs of cicadas, summer fruits and I've even got used to the ridiculous, all encompassing humidity.

And with summer comes summer festivals. All over Japan, different towns have different festivals to mark the occasion so there's always something going on. People gather together wearing Yukata (a lighter, summer kimono style garment), eat food from stalls and spirits are high. One thing that you'll often see is a "Bon Odori" of many people dancing together.

This track from Rhythm Heaven/Tengoku is part of a mini game which has you performing one of these dances that just brings back memories of summer nights with friends, enjoying the crowds, waiting for fireworks and trying to forget about the inevitable mosquito bites. The song is a pitch perfect rendition of the kind of songs you hear around the time and it has that rhythm heaven playfulness which just allows you to forget any negativity and just focus on having a bit of silly fun. A perfect summer tune.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: July 11th, 2017, 1:03 pm Please allow me a moment of self indulgence.
Great little tale there mate. You set the scene well.

Love the little track too.

Not being in tune with Japanese music culture, so it's perhaps a sign on my ignorance but that sounded very much like some of the Little Dragon, Gorillaz stuff. Which is clearly inspired by the more traditional Japanese tunes.

Thanks for sharing :) .
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

This tune is based on the work of a previous Sound of Play guest, Carlos Eiene aka insaneintherainmusic. I have listened to Carlo's work for a long time and feel he gets better and better each year. When going through his back catalogue I completely missed out on this gem. This re-imagining of Dire Dire Docks from Super Mario 64 was the result of a collaboration between Carlos and an assortment of other YouTube musicians for Multiplayer II Co-Op, a album where many musicians perform famous video game tunes together for the charity Child's Play. This version of Koji Kondo's beloved water level theme is one of the best I have ever heard. It is a fantastic jazz piece that is filled with knowing nods to other Mario 64 pieces and changes this serene tune into something quite different yet retains what makes the original so beloved. A beautiful piece of audio bliss.

brazenhead89

Post by brazenhead89 »

We've apparently made up for the frankly unforgivable lack of saxophones in gaming soundtracks, if some previous podcast picks have been anything to go by. Therefore, I move that we give the harmonica some overdue love.
I can think of no better, more gorgeous example than Psychonaut's "Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp" by Peter McConnell. This gentle yet sunny track sounds exactly like a roaring campfire, a lazy lie-down in a hammock and a calm river breeze lapping at your face. The light twanging of guitars lays down the perfect foundation, but it's the harmonica that carries the track to absolutely exquisite heights. That it's attached to an utterly delightful game is merely a cheeky bonus to a track that stands up to repeated listens no matter the circumstances.

Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

I don't know much about this track. I believe it was composed as a tribute to a member of the development crew who passed away during the creation of Battlefield 4, but I haven't done the necessary research to be sure.

Simply enough I really enjoy "A Theme for Kjell" from the Battlefield 4 soundtrack. Also if you listen to this and then "Cosmology" from Titanfall's soundtrack they feel like a longer song.

plqc

Post by plqc »

As my first submission, I'd like to suggest Seaside from the SNES game ''D-Force''.

When I was but a little child, my father would work on the road, sometimes for weeks. I'd miss him, but in a way I quite enjoyed it because everytime he came back he would return to us with a gift.

One of those times, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and seeing his shoes next to the door. My father had returned! And there I found, on the kitchen table, the SNES game he intended to give me in the morning: D-Force. I definitely couldn't play it right away: it was probably around 3AM and I was about 5 years old. But I took a quick glance to the box, then went back to bed, excited for that new game I would get to play in the morning.

The game ended up being way too difficult for me. I could never get very far. Even to this day, I have to admit I'm not too good at shoot em' ups. But two things carved their way into my brain: the intro were your helicopter would shoot a brick wall to reveal the title screen, which I thought was so cool, and the song I'm submitting to day.

This song really epitomizes the 90's today. It was every bit the power rock song, designed to get your blood pumping, to make you feel excited for what was to come.

It's not a perfect song. The drum, especially, comes to mind. I always assumed that sound actually was the helicopter's blade spinning, but listening to the OST, nope, it's just a terrible drum sound.

That being said, listening to this short song still makes me as excited as that kid who found the game on the kitchen table in the middle of the night.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I hope no-one minds if I include a few tracks from one game here.

A few years ago I bought a copy of Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil for the PS2 from a retro game store on a whim. I was somewhat aware of the original Klonoa and its Wii remake but didn't even know it had a sequel until then. The game is a charming if simple 2.5D platformer with some fun mechanics involving grabbing enemies and using them for double jumping, bombs, switches or more depending on the type on enemy grabbed. I found it to be very enjoyable and the soundtrack was a particular highlight.

Going to Lunatea plays near the end of the first level after two quieter pieces of music. It lets you know the adventure is really underway. It's a cheery track with a number of different instruments used throughout.

Ark Ver.1 plays during the level Ishras Ark. A suitably calm yet mysterious track for a level set on an abandoned ancient ship. Also of note are the wind effects in the track included to emphasise the gargantuan size of the ship as you climb up and down it through the level.

Mirage plays on the level before the final boss which is one of the game's infrequent hoverboard levels. The fast tempo adds to the sense of urgency as Klonoa moves along the narrow paths on his hoverboard, even during the short section where the wind pipes are the main instrument. The creepy background voices and laughter add a sense of unease as you quickly approach the final boss' lair.

As has been discussed on Sound of Play a number of times, Namco's music is usually created by a team of composers and 8(!) composers are included in the credits for Klonoa 2: Kanako Kakino, Eriko Imura, Asuka Sakai, Yuji Masubuchi, Katsuro Tajima, Go Shiina, Hiromi Shibano and Kohta Takahashi.
ashman86

Post by ashman86 »

Lands of Lore 3 is not a good game. It's a disappointing conclusion to a classic series and a game that was showing its age well before it ever hit store shelves. The story is unsatisfying, the RPG mechanics are often broken, and its characters don't even move their darn lips when they talk (animation is generally lacking throughout the game).

Even still, it's a game that I sunk dozens of hours into and one of my all-time favorite terrible games. Its soundtrack by the legendary Frank Kelpacki and David Arkenstone--whose surname is almost too perfect for a fantasy composer--is magical. That's especially true of this piece, which serves as the theme to the game's mage's guild.
ReprobateGamer

Request for the podcast pages

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Hi,

as a reasonably new listener to Sound Of Play currently working my way through the archives, can I ask if it would be possible to get a 'next' and 'previous' link on each podcast page?

As I start at Sound Of Play 1 and steadily listen through the series, it would just be a little easier if I could hit next after listening to one to get to the following podcast - particularly as the url are not always the same through the series.

Not a major thing of course, but it would make it a little easier to navigate (and thus easier to get to listen to the podcasts!)

Thanks
Alex79

Re: Request for the podcast pages

Post by Alex79 »

Are you listening online rather than through a podcast app? Because if you use an app and download say 5 episodes, when you hit next it'll just go to the next downloaded episode.
ReprobateGamer

Re: Request for the podcast pages

Post by ReprobateGamer »

I am listening online yes - easier to work with the podcast in the background on a webpage than downloading batches at a time
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Hey all,

since my previous submission (and it's delightfully quick inclusion into the Sound of Play Podcast for which I technically still haven't reached as I plough my work through the entire series to catch up to where we are now but thank you for allowing it so soon), I've been pondering what next to suggest as most of the tracks I like have already been included.

I haven't yet seen anything from Warframe, which I was recommended to try by friends towards the end of last year. The game itself is a complicated take loot hunt with the characters essentially being space ninja's and there is obvious comparisons with Destiny, though it's roots stem from dark Sector. \I'm not going to dip any further into the lore of it and will instead get into the music.

The soundtrack is composed by Keith Power and George Spanos who have been with the game since it launched in 2013. The score veers between ambient electronica for when your character is undetected or at rest in their ship and a rousing battle score themed around whichever enemy you are facing and taiko drums feature prominently, as do choral . All the music riffs from a mix of traditional Asian music, particularly (at least to my entirely untrained eye) from Japan and China and the electronic underscore that we associate with space and/or sci-fi from Hollywood films.

I've picked Wings of War as it's one that demonstrates that mix, and which the ambiance tracks are great, the battle tracks are much more interesting to listen too - and as this is from the Archwing missions that seem less popular (turns out you can have too much space for your space ninja), I'm hoping that this is a rousing track that may not be too familiar for other Warframe players

Again, hope I haven't missed this earlier in the thread and thanks for reading