Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ColinAlonso wrote: July 9th, 2017, 2:45 pm Jul 7 – Persona 5 (PS4)

Just the 132 hours on my playthrough for this :D. It's a worthy successor to the previous 2 games in combat, style and themes. The bespoke dungeons are also a great improvement over the randomly generated dungeons. I probably didn't click with the characters as well as in Persona 3 or 4, but they're still stronger than in most games I've played. There are less light comedy moments with the characters than in 4 which probably meant I took longer to warm to them.
Even though I'm still playing through this (99 hours so far), I think your assessment is pretty dead-on. There are things about the previous two games that worked and didn't, and this game is the same in that sense. And like the hypothetical parent that I'm not, don't ask me to pick which Persona I like the most, because I love 'em all equally. :D

So I'll continue to "take my time", as the loading screens suggest.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Spoiler: show
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 July: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
Adventure Mode credit roll, with 65.something% completion (3 star ratings).
Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote: July 12th, 2017, 6:26 pm
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 July: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
Adventure Mode credit roll, with 65.something% completion (3 star ratings).
I've been playing through the adventure mode too, on the Vita. Of course, being the Japanese version, I have no idea what's going on in the story... but fortunately the game itself is pretty straightforward.

Fun 'lil game!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Having previously played the Japanese version on PS4, the translated story makes not one iota more sense.
Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote: July 12th, 2017, 11:57 pm Having previously played the Japanese version on PS4, the translated story makes not one iota more sense.
I figured as much! At least I can save some money by sticking with what I got. :)
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Late to the party here, but 22 completions so far.
08 Jan: Crypt of the Serpent King (Xbox One, review copy, 100% achievements, one of the worst game's I've ever played)
19 Jan: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
26 Jan: Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
26 Jan: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
29 Jan: METRICO+ (Xbox One, review copy)
25 Feb: Spheroids (Xbox One, review copy, 100% achievements)
26 Feb: The Swapper (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
27 Feb: Contrast (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
3 Mar: Ghost Blade HD (Xbox One, review copy. Hard mode complete.)
11 Mar: Defense Grid 2 (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
11 Mar: 2Dark (Xbox One, review copy)
11 Mar: Sky Force Anniversary (Xbox One, all but one achievement - too grindy)
16 Mar: Sublevel Zero Redux (Xbox One, review copy - easy campaign completion only)
18 Mar: Death Squared (Xbox One, review copy)
6 Apr: Thimbleweed Park (Xbox One, review copy)
17 Apr: Mass Effect 3 (360 on Xbox One - returned for Omega & Citadel DLCs, plus Insanity run and 100% achievements)
28 Apr: Hitman GO (Windows Phone, 100% achievements)
8 Jun: LEGO Marvel Superheroes (Xbox One)
11 Jun: Beautiful Katamari (Xbox 360)
18 Jun: Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
12 Jul: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One, both DLCs - 97% achievements)
Still can't quite put my finger on why I didn't enjoy this. At least the skill tree is well thought out and the Nemesis system is pretty groundbreaking. I just wanted to care a little more about Talion's story. After a strong first five minutes his narrative essentially disappears, while I simply couldn't connect to Celebrimbor. Combat was fine, but the difficulty curve was all over the place. The open world was a real trudge for me, with the slave and weapon missions utterly forgettable. Hoping the sequel can drop all that in favour of tying more of the game back to the Nemesis system itself.

Don't bother with the DLC. It's rubbish. No new environments and you're far too overpowered. Having a graug that can vomit on people isn't particularly fun. My missing achievements are for two Trials added with the DLCs, but this isn't a game I love enough to put myself through a finicky timed run that takes 45-60 minutes per attempt.

13 Jul: ABZU (Xbox One - 100% achievements)
A beautiful hour or so of aquatic relaxation after a suprisingly frustrating time with Shadow of Mordor. I recently listened to the Darksiders issue of the podcast; this is another game that fixes the dreaded underwater gameplay by forgoing a breath meter! It would have been nice to see fewer on-rails sequences and more reason to explore the environment in ABZU, but it was stunning to swim around in nonetheless. In many ways it's Flower underwater.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
Feb - Day of the Tentacle
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright
March - Dark Souls 3
March - Final Fantasy 15
April - Mass Effect Andromeda
May - Puyo Puyo Tetris - Great game, even better with friends.
May - Injustice 2
June - Dragon Age Inquisition - I got the platinum - Great game, much better than Andromeda even though it's starting to feel dated in comparison to some of the newer fantasy / rpg games of late

June - Dragon Age Inquisition - The Descent

July - Yakuza 0 - I ended up loving this game after being very unsure during the first 10 hours. I think it has some pacing issues, especially at the start and it has a habit of dragging things out but the story is very rewarding. The combat is fun and varied, there is a lot of stuff to do and the world looks amazing. I would recommend this game but be prepared to loose countless hours.

July - Killing Floor 2 - I got the Platinum - I had a good time with this, it's very buggy and leveling takes too long which has put me off playing any of the other classes. For a freebie, I'd recommend it.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

ColinAlonso wrote: July 9th, 2017, 2:45 pmJul 9 – Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4) (Adventure mode)
Turns out there's three additional acts unlocked after the credits roll that I could have easily missed. I'm only counting it as post game though, so I'm not removing it from the list.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh yeah! Lots more stages to play and bits to unlock.

Thanks for the heads-up.
:)

Edit: Have cleared all the extra stages and now have 89.4% completion, which feels rather more satisfying.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier
May - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (platinum)
May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
May - 1943: The Battle of Midway
May - Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
May - Soul Calibur
May - Super Hang-On
May - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
May - Magic Sword
May - Soul Calibur 2 HD Online (arcade and main weapon master quest)
Jun - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Jun - Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late
Jul - Yakuza 0
Jul - R-Type Dimensions
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Michiel K wrote: July 8th, 2017, 11:13 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: July 8th, 2017, 11:07 am My multiplier went up to x100. It even announced "Max Multiplier" or something of the sort. I received the Conqueror bonus (for picking up all secrets) in 4 of the 5 worlds, I think I missed one beacon and one secret human in Machine City. And I dropped the human combo once in Future Labs like an idiot. So there's definitely still some room for improvement! I'm thinking of going back to it later today, actually.

PS: The leaderboards are cross-platform, right? What platform are you playing this on, PC?
On PC, yes. The leaderboards are cross-platform, but friends aren't. Which makes it a bit tough to find people, unless they tell you at what position they are.

I ranked in somewhere between the 14- and 11 hundreds and looking at your score, I have something to aspire to. More than anything, however, I look forward to more friction coming from the more challenging enemy and bullet patterns of Expert level and up.

7 Jul - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Hero Mode)

I started replaying the game on the more challenging Hero Mode at the tail end of 2016, for the then upcoming Cane and Rinse episode, with my kids by my side. I had to be a responsible parent, though, and spread the 50 odd our playthrough out over a longer period of time. So with us ordering/buying a Switch and Breath of the Wild tomorrow (or: today), the time was ripe to see the final stretch of the game through.

If you've played it, you'll surely remember that proto-Hyrule Warriors, massive enemy gauntlet, leading up to the final confrontation with Ghirahim. It's surprisingly tough on Hero Mode. There are a lot more stronger enemy types mixed in and if you overdo your spin attacks a tad, when surrounded by foes, you'll lose stamina quickly and find yourself the whipping boy of hordes of delighted Bokoblins. Very different experience this time around and I burned through a fairy bottle and two upgraded red potions, reaching Ghirahim with six hearts (= 3 hits and you're done).

It took me a few tries to get re-acquainted with his patterns and readability of his animations in his final form, which was fun, but also slightly irritating as my kids lose interest when I don't beast challenges and have to redo parts. :) The pressure is real, I guess.

Demise was tougher too. I didn't go for the Hylian Shield in this playthrough and he managed to destroy my Goddess Shield in phase 2. I thought I was done for, but an upgraded protection potion kept me free of damage for 3 minutes, in which I rediscovered I could at that point actually use Skyward Strikes to overpower him and I managed to take him down within that time period, on my first attempt. After that, my kids could enjoy the rather sweet and touching conclusion to the game and go to bed with smiles on their faces.

LEGEND OF GROOSE!
Hero mode made Skyward Sword such a far better game. Think if that had been the default setting and you could skip the prompts from your sword as you can in this mode, it may have been remembered more fondly.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

5th January - Arkham Origins (Wii U)
12th January - The End of the World (Android)
18th January - Rayman Legends (Wii U)
31st January - Light House (Android)
1st February - Where shadows slumber (Android)
9th February - Pikmin 3 - Story mode (Wii U)
19th February - New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
7th April - Deus Ex Go (Android)
19th June - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
20th June - Yellow (Android)

9th July - ARMS (Switch)

Well, not sure I can say I truly completed it but I unlocked Ranked Online by beating level 4. Level 5 is absolutely kicking my ass so may never get past this! Good game. At times, bordering on great. Can't compare it to modern day brawlers but I like it a lot even as someone not too into fighting games. Does for that genre what Splatoon did for shooters. Looks gorgeous too.

14th July - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

The last major Wii U game I wanted to try before I move onto the Switch, and a total surprise. Didn't expect to like it too much; ended up being probably the second best Retro Studios game after Metroid Prime and the best 2D platformer I've played since the 16-bit era. Possibly ever.

Overlooked this due to how close it came out to DKCRETURNS, a game motion controls ruined for me. It is so lush though. And challenging. And rewarding.

Every level has a theme and some of them are truly inventive; giant fruit cutting machines, levels set in an avalanche, crashed planes hanging in trees... Amazing bosses too. Best I've played outside of a Mario 3D game.

Sure it'll get released on Switch one day but if you overlooked this like I did, keep an eye out. One of the best Wii U games for sure and the best platformer I've played in a decade.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

(Double post by accident)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)
MAR - Bloodborne (PS4)
APR - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
MAY - Salt & Sanctuary (PS Vita)
MAY - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
JUL - Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)

I played it on release and just wanted to replay it on PS4. It's still just absolutely incredible. Played it all in first person too which made it even more enjoyable, I really hope Rockstar keep this option in future games. I put 64.5 hours in to it and wasn't bored once and loved it all. I did every mission aside from the collect 100 things type ones. There is just so much to do. I've enjoyed this so much, I can't wait for GTA 6!
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

rs_12 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:04 pm

20/1 Uncharted 4 - Moderate
20/2 Deus EX: Mankind
17/3 The Last Gaurdian
23/3 Grim Fandango
June Tales from the Borderlands
26/6 Life is strange
3/7 Shadowrun returns iO

13/7 Horizen : Zero dawn

Has a story that is fine but is surrounded by some amazing world building and the central mystery of how this future came to pass. The main strength of the game is how the gone makes you learn new tactics and explore how the machines work. When you first meet a new machine you will scan it witch will give you clues , but not until you face it will you know its true potential and have to adapt to it and later dealing with multiple machines of different types.

Towards mid to late game I did get into a bit of a funk with the game at this point I have seen and fought all the types of enemy on over and lost that part of the game I loved. Though the end game greatly got me out of that funk by being really spectacular and a good end to the story.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier
May - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (platinum)
May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
May - 1943: The Battle of Midway
May - Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
May - Soul Calibur
May - Super Hang-On
May - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
May - Magic Sword
May - Soul Calibur 2 HD Online (arcade and main weapon master quest)
Jun - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Jun - Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late
Jul - Yakuza 0
Jul - R-Type Dimensions
Jul - State of Decay: Year-One
Jul - Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I loved State of Decay when it came out; it really hit the 'non-hardcore' survival/base building spot for me. I got the year one dlc but never really played it.

State of Decay 2 seems to be exactly the same as the first one, worryingly enough. I hope they expand on the first game a bit.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yeah, it's been a (bugs and glitches aside) solid game. I've started on the lifeline dlc, it's a new place and looks like a good state of decay 1.5 if you get the urge to fire it up, a bit more action packed being a military base but with a day of the dead like hook i'm well invested already. My only gripe about the sequel will be that as a solo xbox one player I'll miss some of the co-op stuff it brings. Send me a friend request on the xbox if you pick it up: mikeleddy83
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

ratsoalbion wrote: July 14th, 2017, 10:32 am Oh yeah! Lots more stages to play and bits to unlock.

Thanks for the heads-up.
:)

Edit: Have cleared all the extra stages and now have 89.4% completion, which feels rather more satisfying.
No problem. I only noticed them when I went to check my completion percentage after seeing your previous post. :)

Finished them now with 85.1% completion.