Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)
22/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
27/04 - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (NG+ level)
28/04 - Kamiko
05/05 - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
06/05 - Yakuza 0
09/05 - Forza Motorsport 6: Porsche Anthology
12/05 - Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels
19/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (150cc)
01/06 - Rime
18/06 - Final Fantasy XV
03/07 - Stories: The Path of Destinies
25/07 - Splatoon 2 (Hero Mode)
31/07 - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
13/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
23/09 - Wolfenstein: The New Order
05/10 - Yakuza Kiwami
06/10 - Hob
29/10 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD
05/11 - Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition (NG+, Apocalyptic mode)
06/11 - Super Mario Odyssey
05/12 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Even though it does fall down compared to Human Revolution in some ways, it's still in general a great experience. It may be extremely similar to HR too, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It was already great the first time round, and is just as good here. The few new toys they do give you are fun to use and helpful in a lot of situations too. But it's still got the same great atmosphere and attention to detail to the world, and the story has a lot of intriguing twists and turns too, with some compelling characters that show up through the game. In fact, I might even say there were more likable characters this time around.

Although, much has been made of how the story in this game feels incomplete, with inferior writing to HR. Those things are certainly true, but those problems were far less of an issue than I think they have been made out to be. The game does start off a bit clumsily in introducing the new scenario, and by the end of it there are a lot of loose threads still obviously hanging. They even point them out in the epilogue cutscene. But overall the story still provides an engaging mystery, and a lot of interesting side stories too. And, to be frank, I don't think the story was even really that great in HR. It felt more complete, for sure, but I don't think either are an amazing work of narrative or character development. The problem with MD is less its own story, but more that the sequel it was obviously pointing to doesn't exist. Perhaps that's a failing of presumption on the part of the developers, but I'm open to the idea that a single story can span across multiple games. Maybe at one point they had some kind of assurance that they could move on to that sequel as soon as MD was done, but we all know how that ended up in reality.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

February 18th - The Witness (PS4)
February 26th - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
March 13th - Dishonored 2 (PS4)
April 5th - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
April 14th - Abzu (PC)
April 24th - Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PC)
April 25th - Deus Ex Mankind Divided DLC - Desperate Measures (PC)
June 11th - The Last Guardian (PS4)
June 24th - Alienation (PS4)
August 1st - Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
August 19th - Soma (PC)
August 24th - The Turing Test (PC)
September 12th - Destiny 2 (PS4)
October 26th - No Man's Sky (PS4) (completion of Atlas Path and main story)
November 1st - Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry (PS4)
November 4th - Jazzpunk (PC)
November 12th - Horizon: Zero Dawn - Frozen Wilds DLC (PS4)
December 3rd - Doki Doki Literature Club (PC)

A meta game, not too dissimilar to the Stanley Parable. I personally didn't find it disturbing or scary as advertised, but it has some cool ideas and well worth a play through. It's free on Steam.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

02/01 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
014/01 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
15/01 - Owlboy (PC)
17/01 - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (PC)
04/02 - Resident Evil [Remake] (PC)
09/02 - They Breathe (PC)
11/02 - Resident Evil 2: Leon A (PS Vita)
17/02 - Resident Evil 2: Claire B (PS Vita)
23/03 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
22/02 - Ninja Gaiden: Black (360 - Xbox Original)
26/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
29/05 - Nier: Automata - Ending A through E (PS4)
04/06 - The Witcher (PC)
22/06 - Viewtiful Joe (GC)
26/06 - What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
04/07 - Life is Strange (PC)
17/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
30/08 - Shovel Knight: Spector of Torment (Switch)
30/08 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
09/09 - Prey (PC)
24/09 - XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (PC)
02/10 - Tacoma (PC)
22/10 - Persona 5 (PS4)
29/10 - Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC)
31/10 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
07/11 - DOOM 1993 (PC)
24/11 - Final Fantasy (PS Vita)
05/12 - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)

Loved it! Pure joy from start to finish.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt/Hearts of Stone/ Blood and Wine(PC)- I'll put the more detailed thoughts on the podcast thread, by revisiting the game again I thought my feelings would change get more positve but not really, they remain largelly the same, the one thing is that Im more critical of the combat and especially how lock-on works.
One thing that really jumped at me was how much menu fumbling there is in the middle of combat If you're playing the game how you're suppose to play, now note that Im not saying annyone that played differently is "playing the game wrong" but these are all tools the game gives you and expects you to use: First you have potions, you can only have 4(probably 3 because you're likelly to keep one for food) on the go at any given time and if you like use one that's not on the quickbar you have to pause and go to the menu, second are oils and they are much worse since you're incentivised to use them every time you time you see a monster you go to the menu apply the right oil only for it to run out in the middle of the fight making you reapply it again... this one I really dont get why not just make the oil buff permanent until you switch it?
Third I thought decoctions would help aleviate this issue since they last so much longer but they jack your toxicity so high you only ever use one at a time and you're likelly still gonna use other potions so it`s not really much help, funnilly enough I found them really situational.
This aspect really jumped out at me this time as I caught myself on menus during combat alot of the time, this reminded me that the nice thing about Witcher 2 is that you did all the preparation before so once combat began it had no pauses, but on the other hand that lead to some trial and error moments were you had to guess when there was going to be a fight and a against what, so you're stuck between a rock and hard place at the end of the day, and dont really have an anwser for how to do it better.

I noticed that when I write about this game I tend to go on long paragraphs about the things I dont like while briefly mentioning the things I do XD, but I really like the game overall and it`s qualities really are remarkable even if I think witcher 2 main story is better the amount and quality of the quests in 3 just dwarfs that game and they really nail the world and the characters and that`s the main reason I think why so many players, myself included, can get lost in there for so many hours, hell I played this game once already and came back to do it again. But yeah overall my feelings on the game are the same, now the DLC that I played for the first time it`s a different matter.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & TGOL - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) Injustice:Gods Among Us -PS4.
(Aug) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4.
(Aug) Valiant Hearts - PS4.
(Aug) Uncharted:The Lost Legacy - PS4.
(Aug) Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris - PS4.
(Sept) Game of Thrones - PS4.
(Sept) EVE:Gunjack - PSVR.
(Sept) Bioshock(Survivor difficulty) - PS4
(Sept) Eagle Flight - PSVR.
(Oct) Destiny 2 - PS4.
(Oct) Day of the Tentacle Remastered - VITA.
(Oct) Halo 3: The Master Chief Collection -XB1
(Oct) Knack - PS4.
(Oct) Neon Chrome - VITA.
(Oct) Assassin's Creed Unity - XB1.
(Oct) Batman Arkham VR - PSVR.
(Oct) Not a Hero - PS4.
(Oct) Wolfenstein II The New Collossus - PS4.
(Oct) REZ Infinite - PSVR.
(Nov) Peggle 2 - PS4.
(Nov) Prey(2017) - PS4.
(Nov) Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice - PS4.
(Nov) Trials of the Blood Dragon - PS4.
(Nov) Resident Evil 7:Biohazard - PS4.
(Dec) Call of Duty WWII - PS4.
(Dec) The Evil Within 2 - PS4
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
28/04 - Kamiko
06/05 - Yakuza 0
01/06 - Rime
18/06 - Final Fantasy XV
05/10 - Yakuza Kiwami
06/10 - Hob

10/12 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Desperate Measures + System Rift

I actually finished these a few days ago, and was planning to put all three DLCs together and count them as one, but things didn't go as planned. Here's my thoughts on what I played at least:

Desperate Measures:
I think this one was originally a pre-order bonus, so it was not part of the season pass stuff, even though it works like the season pass DLC does, separated from the main game on menus. It was pretty short and underwhelming. Nothing but an unexceptional side mission that doesn’t really do anything particularly interesting, and ends up being very anti-climactic. Very forgettable, and kind of pointless.

Sytem Rift:
This one was much better, and way more substantial. As you’d expect from it being part of the content they actually took time on. This one involves you breaking in to a high security information storage facility, in order to help dig up dirt on the company that runs it for Francis, a returning character from Human Revolution. They start you off in the surrounding area of the complex, tracking down people to help you get in, so there’s a bit of exploration and build-up there which was enjoyable. Then once you get in the place, you have to make your way through a really large and complex level that is about on par with some of the best stuff in the main game.

The finale to it is kind of mixed bag. It has some really good moments, and some kind of bad ones. They introduce an interesting mechanic where you have to avoid heat-seeking robots, and then you go in to a cyberspace section which has a fantastic aesthetic to it, which throws an interesting twist at you at the end. Those parts were fun high points. But after that you have to make your way out through the heat-seeking robots again, except this time they’re all on high alert and are a real pain to get past. Then once you do, the DLC ends really abruptly and you’re suddenly watching a cutscene back at Jensen’s apartment. So that bit wasn’t as cool, although that final cutscene was pretty enjoyable. But overall, I liked it. The story was fairly self-contained, but it had enough intrigue to it, and there were some really fun character interaction moments between Jensen and Francis.

A Criminal Past:
Being the second DLC from the season pass this is another expansive one. Perhaps the largest of the three, but I didn't actually finish this one. It's set in a ultra high security prison where you have to infiltrate the prison population and... get information from some other undercover person for some reason. Honestly, I forget. I spent far too much time getting frustrated with this, that I kind of forgot what the whole point of it it was. It has an interesting framing device at least, in that it's all supposed to be told through Jensen to the psychiatrist that they have at Interpol HQ. Sometimes some fun little narration quirks come up as the interviewer makes some comment on Jensen's story, and he responds with something mildly amusing. That's about the only good thing I can say about it though.

The biggest thing about this DLC that I just couldn't stand was how you spend a huge amount of it completely disempowered. It may make sense with the narrative setup, but I just hated how they take away all of your augmentations and tools. The other DLCs gave you a certain amount of augments from the start, and a decent supply of Praxis to spec in to things you wanted. Weapons were easy to come by too. Here you get none of that. By a certain point you do finally start to get your hands on some weapons, but Praxis are still incredibly rare, making augments pretty much impossible to use. This is on top of it the levels being completely full of cameras everywhere. It's a very slow, annoying, and boring way to play the game, and I really don't understand why this theme of taking away all your tools is so common in many games, especially stealth games. It's never fun, and it was the worst part about the DLC in Human Revolution.

There's more too. I got to a point where things finally started happening, and managed to get a decent bunch of weapons together (most of which I didn't really want to use, trying to be non-lethal), and enough Praxis to unlock a single augment, and the game started breaking. The game now crashes every time I try to load any save past the point where things start kicking off. So it's basically unplayable now. Since I was already losing my patience with it, I decided it was time to call it quits. What a miserable end to what has been a generally great experience.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Spoiler: hide

(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Oct) Destiny 2 - PS4.
(Oct) Knack - PS4.
(Oct) Not a Hero - PS4.
(Nov) Peggle 2 - PS4.
(Nov) Prey(2017) - PS4.
(Dec) Livelock - PS4.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)
MAR - Bloodborne (PS4)
APR - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
MAY - Salt & Sanctuary (PS Vita)
MAY - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
JUL - Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
JUL - World Of Goo (iOS)
AUG - Killzone Mercenary (PS Vita)
AUG - Burrito Bison: Launcha Libre (Android)
SEP - Outrun 2 SP (Sony PSP)
NOV - Scribblenauts Remix (Android
DEC - Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo 3DS)

In what has been a relatively quiet year for me, completions-wise, this has been a really enjoyable game. There's nothing new I can say about it, but it made me smile from start to finish. I liked the way it was a 3D Mario, yet retained the tightness of a 2D game - with added exploration needed for some of those star medals. I 100% the first run (every medal), and have done a fair few of the special world levels too. I think I've had my fill for now though. I may go back to it at a later date (although that's highly unlikely to be honest) but it's given me a couple of weeks of entertainment and I'm happy with that. Good game, although it has left me wanting to play Odyssey now!

Has there been a C&R episode on it yet? I know you've covered most of the series but I can't seem to find this one.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
28/04 - Kamiko
06/05 - Yakuza 0
01/06 - Rime
18/06 - Final Fantasy XV
05/10 - Yakuza Kiwami
06/10 - Hob
10/12 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Desperate Measures + System Rift
11/12 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Champions' Ballad DLC

This was a strange piece of DLC. I was actually pretty down on it at first, but it gets consistently better as it goes on, and ends on a good high note. It doesn't really add anything particularly new to the game, and is mostly more of the same, with the initial portions feeling kind of underwhelming. It starts you off just doing a bunch of shrines, which would have been fine on their own, but they decide to force you in to a situation where you die in one hit for this section. They do this by forcing you to use a certain weapon that has the ability to kill anything in one hit, but also gives you that aforementioned handicap. It doesn't really add to the game in any way, just makes it harder. The shrines you do in that area aren't particularly special, and making it so you have to start each one from the beginning if you make a single mistake is a pain. The way they deal with this weapon seemed really obtuse and arbitrary to me. It looks less like a weapon, and more like some sort of ritualistic charm. That, combined with how powerful and unusual it is, makes it seem like it should be a big deal. It makes the Master Sword seem like a letter opener in comparison. Yet it's imposed on you without any kind of fanfare, and then quickly taken away just as unceremoniously. I was glad to be rid of it though.

Next you have a series of tasks and shrines out in the wider world. Twelve in total, three for each champion/Divine Beast from the base game. These are fairly fun, but nothing amazing. The tasks to uncover the shrines are pretty repetitive, and more or less the same as many of the other tasks you have to do to unlock some of the shrines in the base game. The shrines themselves though are some of the best in the game, but they also don't really break a huge amount of new ground. Just basically more shrines.

When you finish all the shrines of each area, you then have to defeat the boss from the corresponding Divine Beast from the base game, but with only the equipment you are given for the fight. I thought that was pretty dull and underwhelming, just recycling content from the main game, with arbitrary restrictions, and a distracting fuzzy filter over the screen too. You do get upgrades to each of your Champions' powers for beating the bosses though, but it's still kind of underwhelming. Just a time reduction for the cooldowns. I can appreciate that for the practicality, but it's not exactly exciting.

Then finally once you've done all that, you get a proper Divine Beast-sized dungeon to go through. Again, it was nothing particularly different from the main game, but it was up there among some of the best bits. It ends off with a really cool boss fight, that finally feels like something different and new for the game. Definitely the best bit of the DLC. At then at the end as a reward, you get a damn motorbike.

So this DLC starts off pretty poorly I think, but gets progressively better as it goes along. Overall I still think it's only really okay. Almost all of it feels like simply more of the same, with some bits dragged down by frustrating limitations and recycled content. Even though I enjoyed that last dungeon and boss, I'm not sure I could say they made up for the rest of it.

On a side-note, I also bought the season pass for this DLC, so I haven't played any of it before now. Before dipping in to this second DLC, I did have a short go at the first one. The Trial of the Sword in particular. As I assumed, I didn't really like it. I only gave it a single, casual attempt, but it turned out to be what I expected, so I doubt I'll bother with it again. I've never really liked the idea of "hard Zelda". That's just not really appealing to me, and I don't think it works with the strengths of what makes Zelda fun. On top of that, when you push the game to that extreme, I think the mechanics start to fall down a bit. While they're fine for the normal game, the controls in BotW have always felt a little bit clunky to me. They often don't respond as quickly as I'd like, and sometimes the camera can freak out, or Link gets in to an awkward position and won't face the right way. On top of that, this game has a lot of physics-driven nonsense going on, that can screw you over in comical ways. When you put those kind of systems in a challenge where one tiny mistake can destroy loads of progress through no fault of your own, that just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) The Surge - PS4.
(Oct) Destiny 2 - PS4.
(Oct) Knack - PS4.
(Oct) Not a Hero - PS4.
(Nov) Peggle 2 - PS4.
(Nov) Prey(2017) - PS4.
(Dec) Livelock - PS4.
(Dec) Assault Android Cactus - PS4.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
Feb - Day of the Tentacle
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright
March - Dark Souls 3
March - Final Fantasy 15
April - Mass Effect Andromeda
May - Puyo Puyo Tetris
May - Injustice 2
June - Dragon Age Inquisition
June - Dragon Age Inquisition - The Descent
July - Yakuza 0
July - Killing Floor 2
August -Darksiders Warmastered Edition
August - Kingdom Rush
August - Kingdom Rush Frontiers
August - Horizon: Zero Dawn
August - Game of Thrones
September - Star Wars Battlefront
October - Plants vs Zombies 2
November - Aladdin (Mega Drive)
November - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive)
December - Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - I had a blast with this game and finally completed it. It holds up very well and apart from the motion controls, it's one of the best games I've played.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (PC)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (PC)
10/02 - Undertale (PC)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (PC) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
26/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All story + Battle Simulator endings)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
12/09 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)
14/09 - Blade Runner (1997, PC)
18/09 - The Room (Android)
20/09 - The Room Two (Android)
21/09 - The Room Three (Android)
28/09 - Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (PS4) (Story Mode)
02/10 - Dishonored (Xbox One)
03/10 - Dishonored: The Knife Of Dunwall (Xbox One)
05/10 - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (Xbox One)
19/10 - Dishonored 2 (Xbox One)
22/10 - Penumbra: Overture (PC)
23/10 - Year Walk (iOS)
03/11 - Marvel Super Heroes (MAME/RetroPie)
04/11 - Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (MAME/RetroPie)
05/11 - Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Wii)
08/11 - Gears Of War 4 (Xbox One)
10/11 - Rise Of The Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
15/11 - Cart Life (PC)
16/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox One)
17/11 - Gone Home (Console Edition) (Xbox One)
19/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (Xbox One)
22/11 - Quantum Break (Xbox One)
24/11 - Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider (Xbox One)
27/11 - What Remains Of Edith Finch (Xbox One)
29/11 - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One)
30/11 - Seasons After Fall (Xbox One)
10/12 - Assassin's Creed: Origins (Xbox One)

CRTWR: Assassin's Creed, innit.

I'd heard a lot about how Assassin's Creed: Origins made some strides forward for the series, and a lot about it being very faithful to its predecessors. These statements aren't mutually exclusive, and are probably both true for me. Yes, the improvements over Revelations (the last AC I put an serious time into) were apparent, but I did feel I'd had my fill about 10 hours in. I wasn't seeing improvements in the areas I hoped for (organic discovery, story telling), and some aspects irked to say the least (stratification of enemies/areas by level, repetitive quests/tasks).

All-in-all, I'm glad I played Origins, if only to revel in its beauty and the wonderful Egyptian setting. I feel absolutely no need to play any more Assassin's Creed though, and no desire to see where the story leads.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (PC)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (PC)
10/02 - Undertale (PC)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (PC) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
26/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All story + Battle Simulator endings)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
12/09 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)
14/09 - Blade Runner (1997, PC)
18/09 - The Room (Android)
20/09 - The Room Two (Android)
21/09 - The Room Three (Android)
28/09 - Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (PS4) (Story Mode)
02/10 - Dishonored (Xbox One)
03/10 - Dishonored: The Knife Of Dunwall (Xbox One)
05/10 - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (Xbox One)
19/10 - Dishonored 2 (Xbox One)
22/10 - Penumbra: Overture (PC)
23/10 - Year Walk (iOS)
03/11 - Marvel Super Heroes (MAME/RetroPie)
04/11 - Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (MAME/RetroPie)
05/11 - Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Wii)
08/11 - Gears Of War 4 (Xbox One)
10/11 - Rise Of The Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
15/11 - Cart Life (PC)
16/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox One)
17/11 - Gone Home (Console Edition) (Xbox One)
19/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (Xbox One)
22/11 - Quantum Break (Xbox One)
24/11 - Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider (Xbox One)
27/11 - What Remains Of Edith Finch (Xbox One)
29/11 - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One)
30/11 - Seasons After Fall (Xbox One)
10/12 - Assassin's Creed: Origins (Xbox One)
12/12 - Kona (Xbox One)

Kona is an exploration game that casts the player as a detective on the job in a tiny, rural Canadian village. After some rotten luck, he is snowed in, and (suffice it to say) has more to investigate than the simple case of vandalism he was called there for.

I got chilly wandering about a landscape even more snow-covered than the West Midlands currently is. There's something quite strange about in-game weather reflecting that in the real-world. Even if, or perhaps especially if, by happenstance.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

A chilly response to Kona there :) Or at least, neither hot nor cold!

Did it work for you? I can't put my finger on why I liked it, a combination of the strange atmosphere and the humour, I think. Maybe I liked it just because it was a bit different.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero free DLC(PC)- So this took awhile to come out and it's not that long, to compare it to another campaign in a RE game it's kinda of like the Hunk campaign in RE2 only with more substance to it, this basically wraps up a loose end in the story and also explains abit what's going on in the greater RE universe if you're one of the crazy people like me who cares, nothing too crazy happens and the revelations were pretty much what I expected but it was still nice to closure, also it's abit of a shame that everybody knows who stars in the DLC because it's a big reveal in the main game and I lost my shit when it happened but now even those who havent played the game already know this, shame they wont get that same feeling I did but maybe Im overestimating that.

Gameplaywise like in the main game normal its a bit too easy still, they have the right amount of healing itens but you're still swiming in bullets, you do unlock a harder mode after beating it but I wish it was unlocked from the start, madhouse difficulty in the main game was the perfect spot of challenge and it also added the ink ribbon save system which I think it really enchances the game, yeah I know it's an archaic system that doesnt respect your time but I really think saving as a resource is an important aspect of survival horror when it comes to classic RE. Difficulty aside this wasnt the action fest I expected, sure you start with a bunch of weapons, plus the ability to punch the head of stunned monsters, and you are thrown more enemies here then I think anywhere else in the main game but there's still plenty of tension here, funny because I was kinda of worried that after playing DOOM I would find it really difficult to come back to the slow methodical pace of RE7 but actually it felt pretty natural coming back.
One thing though Capcom really needs to hire some new monster designers, the molded were fine but overused in the main game and they are all you fight here, they still manage to do a few interesting things with them here but still you need some better monsters and I dont even think this is a problem with RE7 especifically but with the whole franchise since 4, since then the monster designs have really gone down hill.

Overall Im pretty happy with this, it didnt disapointed me and it surprised me alittle bit but didnt blew me away, it's more RE7 if you loved the main game like me you're gonna like this, if you didnt like it dont bother and if you're still on the fence I dont think this should swing you either way.
James

Post by James »

Chopper wrote: December 13th, 2017, 10:16 am A chilly response to Kona there :) Or at least, neither hot nor cold!

Did it work for you? I can't put my finger on why I liked it, a combination of the strange atmosphere and the humour, I think. Maybe I liked it just because it was a bit different.
It did! You probably got from my previous post that the atmosphere was very effective. The voice over worked for me too, and definitely added a dry humour to proceedings. Not a game I'd recommend to everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed exploring and familiarising myself with a harsh, frozen landscape. As is always the case with these types of games, the loneliness and stillness are powerful aspects, that I very much enjoy.

I'm still processing how I feel about the ending. Interesting, I think, to contrast that aspect of Kona against Firewatch. But I'll say no more, lest I veer too far towards spoilers for either game. :!:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I beat Dragon Age: Origins this week. I liked it, but not as much as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, KotoR or Mass Effect. I was obviously enjoying my time with, since I put in about 50 hours, but there was always this invisible wall keeping me from loving the game. Not sure if I'm going to go in on Awakening or the sequel, just yet.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

James wrote: December 13th, 2017, 4:16 pm I'm still processing how I feel about the ending. Interesting, I think, to contrast that aspect of Kona against Firewatch. But I'll say no more, lest I veer too far towards spoilers for either game. :!:
Yes, for sure. Like other games, narrative games struggle to nail the landing a lot of the time.

I finished Theseus (PSVR) last night. It's only a couple of hours long so I managed it in an evening in between putting up the Christmas tree.

It's a PSVR game but from a fixed camera either behind the hero, or in a corner of the room, which makes it a bit unusual. It was also lauded for its high production values and graphics (at least in regard to VR graphics).

It was very poor overall, I thought. Basic platforming and combat, and a few timing based puzzles where you had to evade the big bad, the Minotaur. Unsatisfying ending. It was a chore to play through and the only thing that made me persevere was that the game was so short and surely the end would come soon.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Persona 5! Only 118 hours!
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

ThirdDrawing wrote: December 14th, 2017, 2:15 pm Persona 5! Only 118 hours!
I clocked 103 hours on mine, although admittedly I kinda skipped the voice acting for a lot of the dialogue after the casino palace because there was a ton of long explanation and exposition.

What did you think of it?