Most Anticipated 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Most Anticipated 2018

Post by duskvstweak »

What game are you most looking forward to in 2018?

I'm excited for Monster Hunter World and Frostpunk, plus the PC release of Final Fantasy XV!
Flabyo

Re: Most Anticipated 2018

Post by Flabyo »

At the moment probably Dynasty Warriors 9. I may be almost entirely alone in this.

Also quite looking forward to the season three characters and arcade edition update for Street Fighter 5.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Flabyo wrote: December 27th, 2017, 9:16 pm At the moment probably Dynasty Warriors 9. I may be almost entirely alone in this.

Also quite looking forward to the season three characters and arcade edition update for Street Fighter 5.
You not the only one! I'm waiting to see how how it all comes together, but I'm excited to see how DW9 changes things, if at all.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yoshi for the Switch is something I’m looking forward to playing next year and one of the first games that springs to mind.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Monster Hunter World, Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition and Season Three, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Bayonetta 1 & 2 for Switch and Red Dead Redemption 2.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 27th, 2017, 10:30 pm Monster Hunter World, Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition and Season Three, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Bayonetta 1 & 2 for Switch and Red Dead Redemption 2.
I just bought a Switch for the youth program that the library I work at runs, I'd love to get SFAC for it too. Show those Pokken Tournament kids a real fighter.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I'm going to second (or third?) Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition. It would be nice to finally play this generation of SF, as I've intentionally avoided it due to the heavily online focused gameplay. I like my single player experiences, and it's finally got it's shit together.

Assuming a best case scenario with no delays, Shin Megami Tensei V for the Switch. The Switch has been very successful, and hopefully 2018 will build on that success. An exclusive SMT game looks like a promising sign.
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

RDR2, I'm just hoping like hell that they focus on a well realised and alive world with an interesting single player story and not forsake all that for shark cards: old west edition
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Shin Megami Tensei V - if it comes out this year.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Ah we’re all such massive nerds - multiple mentions of DW9 and SMT5, and not a nod for a God of War or Far Cry 5 in sight. Love it ;)

For me I’d say...

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - barely spent any time with any of the ‘3’s so looking forward to that, and simply having all those games together in one place is just bloody awesome isn’t it? Going to have to be a Switch purchase as well so that they can be on hand at all times!

Spider-Man (if it comes out) - Sunset Overdrive on Xbox One has some of the best world traversal ever in video games for me, and a Spider-Man game is such a natural next step that’ll it’ll be great to see what Insomniac can do with such an iconic character who’s been relatively underserved over the years.

Detroit: Become Human - the more I see of this, the more I fear it might in fact turn out to be hokey bobbins, but the premise is so up my alley that I’m still keenly awaiting it’s release.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Weirdly, nothing much? Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 are the games I most desire but can't see either hitting 2018, so I'm not sure...?

I enjoyed The Fall so look forward to part two of that. Intrigued to see what No More Heroes does next. Wolfenstein 2 on Switch will hopefully be a good port. Last chapter of Shovel Knight.

There's a few old school arcade racing games lurking like 90s Arcade Racer and Racing Apex I'm monitoring too.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: December 28th, 2017, 9:39 am Ah we’re all such massive nerds - multiple mentions of DW9 and SMT5, and not a nod for a God of War or Far Cry 5 in sight. Love it ;)
Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in Far Cry 5, but I'm very much looking forward to the new God of War. Sorry to disappoint! :P
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

As with Sean, there's nothing I'm looking forward to particularly! By far the most important event coming up for me is the Nintendo Direct in January, but there's nothing that's been mentioned so far that I'm very interested in. Kirby and Yoshi have never appealed. Animal Crossing isn't my thing. Pokemon isn't my thing. I'm pleased that Bayonetta 3 is coming to the Switch but I'm very unlikely to buy the first two again full price having rinsed them on the Wii U, which is still set up as a kind of Virtual Console machine these days. I don't expect to see Prime 4 for a long time. I'd honestly be quite happy with a Mario Maker Deluxe, a Smash Deluxe, one new IP and whatever Virtual Console becomes. I still have so much on the Switch which I'm getting into deeper and if anything, the stream of big releases meant that I didn't give enough due to several massive 'endless' titles. I've probably only played about five hours of MK8D for goodness sake! Slow down, basically, and give my wallet a break.

On PS4, frankly, there's nothing. I copped a bit of flak elsewhere for saying that but there's absolutely nothing which appeals. Ni No Kuni was dull, even for a Ghibli fan. Spiderman does nowt for me. God of War likewise. Days Gone looks very derivative. I'm interested in TLOU2 in principle, and I adored the original for a long time, but going back to it, I find the basic mechanical gameplay to be not much better than Uncharted's 'moving a dot around the screen' shooting mechanics. I'll be in it wholeheartedly for the story and characters, though. GT Sport updates are what I'm most looking forward to. It's one of the best games of the year and rather tragically overlooked. Hopefully, FROM will announce something soon, too. That's the only thing I'd say I'm looking forward to which we haven't heard about.

The One X will be my home for third party stuff so RDR2, I expect, though I'm not a massive Rockstar fan and found the original an odd combination of beautiful isolation and goofy heavy handed satire which made me want to skip all the cut scenes. I'm not saying they need to grow up but I don't think they'll ever make a truly great game until they stop sniggering at how naughty they are. Miaow. Their best moments are by far their most sincere. Other than that, PUBG updates and hopefully a new map. I don't care much for the XB exclusives, in general. Halo has never interested. Sunset Overdrive wasn't my thing. Crackdown, no. I'll look forward to the Forza Horizon 4K patch next month, because that game already looks stunning. Anthem looks promising, albeit a cut-and-paste of contemporary influences. Ooh, I am feeling the post-Christmas blues! :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I can't think of much other than RDR2 that I'm looking forward to. Still interested in Monster Hunter World, but I'm not likely to get that anywhere near launch. The other things are a way off yet - The Last Of Us 2 and Death Stranding. I'm interested in Days Gone as well thinking about it.

The other big Sony exclusives are far from exciting me at the moment. Not really a fan of Spiderman in general, and although I really enjoyed the previous God Of War games, this reboot isn't appealing at all at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, I'm genuinely looking forward to the Vita release of Stardew Valley. I've spent more time with that game than anything else over the last couple of weeks and really, really enjoying it. The thought of being able to water my crops whilst on my lunch break at work is far more exciting than it has any right to be! :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I forgot about Monster Hunter World. Looked great and played same as ever, for the most part. It's just another game which is more rewarding the way more you put in, and I have too many of those at the moment! I mean, I still don't feel I've got into Titanfall 2 enough and every time I boot it up I love it. It's a weird feeling. I'm going to have to do a New Year's Cull, I think.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Stanshall wrote: December 28th, 2017, 11:28 am The One X will be my home for third party stuff so RDR2, I expect, though I'm not a massive Rockstar fan and found the original an odd combination of beautiful isolation and goofy heavy handed satire which made me want to skip all the cut scenes. I'm not saying they need to grow up but I don't think they'll ever make a truly great game until they stop sniggering at how naughty they are. Miaow.
GTAV jumped the shark for me, with it's overwhelming cynicism, so I too will be giving RDR2 the side eye until I hear more about it. I hope it is good though!

The two games I know I'll pay full price for* in 2018 are Detroit: Become Human and Mount and Blade 2/3/Bannerlord/whatever. I expect the latter will be the same game as its previous iterations, but the (modded) original was such an unparalleled joy that I'll probably be buying whatever they put out till the end of time.

*Such a strange change over the last couple of years.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Like I did for 2017, I'm preparing a list of games to play in 2018. I have 6 games on it to be released in 2018.

Many above have already said Red Dead Redemption 2. I haven't played a Rockstar game since the original RDR and hope they give the single player enough focus.

I haven't played either Bayonetta yet but I'll give them a go on the Switch.

Yakuza 6 is on the list, even though I haven't started Kiwami.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is also on the list. I saw a gameplay trailer recently which looks like Sega are building more from the original game rather than the changes brought in for 2 or 3 (for example, I didn't see any job trees and snipers are a different job again rather than an evolution option from scout). This does mean the game will very similar to a 10 year old game though.

Ni No Kuni 2 is tentative and is very dependent on reviews.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If there’s a console port of Divinity 2 at some point I’ll be all over that.

Soul Calibur 6 has my attention, I have a gut feeling from the build they’ve shown so far that this might be further along in development than most people think, so this might get a big info dump around e3 followed by an early third quarter release. Maybe even earlier than that (namco will be keeping themselves clear of the hype around the Dragon ball fighting game and SFV arcade edition for most of quarter 1)

Mostly I’m just looking to be surprised. I know that I’ll get the big games like last of us 2 and god of war, but they’re not the kind of thing I get excited about ahead of time.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Really interested in what Nintendo is planning as I’ve only a Switch of the current consoles. The next year is mostly a question mark, but I’m not too worried. This time last year we had a few seconds of Mario footage, knew the gist of the Switch but no details and as far as Zelda goes? Anything past the Great Plateau was just shown in passing in a trailer. They manage to keep things fairly close to their chest somehow.

I’m guessing we’ll get virtual console in the first quarter to tide us over until bigger releases.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Spider-man. Hoping the game will be like what Arkham asylum was for Batman. Not just well defined gameplay that fits the IP , but makes you feel like the web slinger.