Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

Picked up The Long Dark for PS4 in the sales. I had some idea that having played survival mode extensively on PC, that it would be a nice relaxing romp through the snow looking at the northern lights, suitable for Christmas Gaming. It's not, the Story Mode is quite stressful. :shock:
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Chopper wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 9:58 am Picked up The Long Dark for PS4 in the sales. I had some idea that having played survival mode extensively on PC, that it would be a nice relaxing romp through the snow looking at the northern lights, suitable for Christmas Gaming. It's not, the Story Mode is quite stressful. :shock:
Good though? It's cheaper on PC in the steam sale so I may grab it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I had an absolutely brilliant time with it on PC when it was in early access and there was no story mode, just sandbox survival. I've had a mixed reaction to it this time around - story mode/the campaign is very guided and so far (I'm a couple of hours in) it's been mostly tutorial. It also has a lot of wolves (instant death until much later in the game) that you have to sneak around which is a bit annoying (there are very few animals in the sandbox mode). All this can be mitigated by difficulty settings I guess. I'm playing on Normal and I do think the experience might be improved by putting it down to Easy.

PC sandbox mode was my favourite survival game ever though (one of the only pure survival games I've liked actually), and I had a quick blast on sandbox on the PS4 last night too. It seems to be the same experience that I had before so that is good, though it also seems a bit harsher (maybe I'm just rusty).

It looks gorgeous.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Can anybody tell me how Worms W.M.D is? I want a Worms game after seeing it in the list of upcoming podcasts and wonder if it's a decent game. Haven't played Worms since Armageddon I don't think.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I was given an Xbox One for Christmas, which is the first time I've had access to a Microsoft console since about 2009. Due to this, I've been playing catch up on the games I missed:

Forza 7

Exactly what I wanted out of a racing game, and puts GT Sport to shame.

Forza Horizon 3

Burnout Paradise with the looks and polish to Forza? Yes please! Really run game and looks great too.

Halo 4

The last Halo I finished was 3, so I've loads to catch up on. Once 4 is done I'll jump onto 5, then do the side games such as ODST and Reach. But loving being back in the Halo universe, and I forgot how much I loved the online.

Gears of War 4

I've heard nothing but good things about GOW4 and so far it's not disappointed.

Quantum Break

I've only tried the first section up to where you get your powers, but it's interesting enough and I'll definitely play it through.

Rare Replay

So great to go back to some of the Rare classics that I've previously enjoyed, and fun to play a few games that I missed back in the day.

Cuphead

One of the games I was very keen to play. I'm terrible at it, but can't help but go back for more. It's just beautiful!

Ori and the Blind Forest

A friend recommended this to me, and it's just beautiful. Looking forward to finishing it and jumping on the sequel later this year.

Sunset Overdrive

I've played a really small amount of this, but it's fun and mindless. Will likely be a game I play while catching up on podcasts.

So yeah, I've plenty to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future, and I feel bad that my PS4 and Switch are being ignored. But it's nice to be able to play a bunch of great games I hadn't previously had the chance to play.

I'll still use my PS4 Pro as my main gaming machine as far as multi platform titles go, but knowing I can play Xbox exclusives again is a good feeling.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Sunset Overdrive is a joy to play, one of those that I think flew under a lot of peoples radar. Very much in the mold of crackdown and saints row 4 in that the act of moving around the world is fun by itself.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I went to a New Years party and it turned out there was a Switch there with Mario Odyssey, so it means I basically spent most of my time playing Mario, now I didnt even get close to finnish it but I did clear 2 worlds and it was really fun while I was at it, the capture mechanic is way more interesting and fun then I expected and the game takes full advantage it seems with you having to use certain enemy skills to solve puzzle or get through obstacles, also getting those moon's in "open world" levels is really rewarding also I loved beign able to put Mario on a Sombrero XD, not having much of point of comparison since I think the last 3D mario I played was 64 from what I played Odyssey is pretty good.

Also starting Prey today interested to see which way I come down on it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ADumican83 wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 11:06 am Can anybody tell me how Worms W.M.D is? I want a Worms game after seeing it in the list of upcoming podcasts and wonder if it's a decent game. Haven't played Worms since Armageddon I don't think.
It's alright - it's pretty standard Worms. If you enjoy the series you'll enjoy this one. I've been playing it a fair bit as it was on PS+last month.

EDIT: I have only played local multiplayer. I can't speak of the single player part of the game, or even online or how easy it is to get a match etc. Let me know if you get it, happy to have a few matches online with you!

EDIT 2 (!): Should just clarify - I have it on PS4.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Been playing more Breath of the Wild, hunting for Guardians and parts in Hyrule Field and Hyrule Castle Town. I just got me the full Ancient Armor set, have all 4 divine beasts and have scoured most of the map and I'm thinking strongly to close in on Calamity Ganon and finish him off, so I can start on the DLC. Got about a 100 hours of playtime in, according to the system.

Played some Nex Machina and Darius Burst CS DLC (Deathsmiles DLC & Ray Force DLC) recently as well. I've got an (apparently rare) x50 multiplier achievement in Nex Machina, but it didn't lead to a significant score as I missed a bunch of secrets, which is a pet peeve of mine in the scoring system of an otherwise rich and rewarding 2D shooting game. And speaking of rich and rewarding, Darius Burst, even discounting the DLC has to be the richest and most content filled, yet still satisfying and grinding devoid 2D shooting game I've ever played. The DLC is wonderful for fans of the genre as a whole, too.

And I finally made some progress in my early stages of Demon's Souls. That beginning part is a steep hurdle to climb, more so than Dark Souls, I find, without bonfires on the map. But now I've got me some armour, unlocked some shortcuts and defeated the first true boss (Phalanx) without too much of a hassle. I feel more encouraged to tackle the rest of the game now, after overcoming these struggles and hardships. :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Michiel K wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:10 am And I finally made some progress in my early stages of Demon's Souls. That beginning part is a steep hurdle to climb, more so than Dark Souls, I find. without bonfires on the map, but now I've got me some armour, unlocked some shortcuts and defeated the first true boss (Phalanx) without too much of a hassle. I feel more encouraged to tackle the rest of the game now, after overcoming these struggles and hardships. :)
:)

That first level took me an inordinate amount of time to get through, as I'd only recently returned to gaming as an adult and all I'd experienced was the generous checkpointing of the run-and-gun games of the time. I was unprepared. 12-13 hours :D
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I applaud your perseverance! That's full-length playthrough time for the average modern action game! I took about 5-6 hours to overcome it, which was grating too as I didn't have that much trouble with Dark Souls' Undead Burg, by far.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:10 am Played some Nex Machina and Darius Burst CS DLC (Deathsmiles DLC & Ray Force DLC) recently as well. I've got an (apparently rare) x50 multiplier achievement in Nex Machina, but it didn't lead to a significant score as I missed a bunch of secrets, which is a pet peeve of mine in the scoring system of an otherwise rich and rewarding 2D shooting game.
I'm afraid stage knowledge and muscle memory are key elements of NM's highscore metagame. It took me a lot of practice until I could reliably and instinctively unlock all the secrets in any given playthrough. Mechanical skill alone can only get you so far, which is probably frustrating when juggling so many different games at the same time... :(

You make Dariusburst sound very promising! Would it be suited for someone whose primary reference in the genre is Resogun and NM, or would I be hopelessly chewed out within minutes?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Yeah... I still miss even some secrets that I know of, just because I was too quick in wasting all the enemies in an arena and just barely nabbed that last human before exiting. It's a lot to contend with.

About Darius Burst, that's a tough question to answer, seeing as I'm the other way around and that NM and Resogun aren't primarily my cup of [insert beverage of choice]. For starters, it's a pricey game, but it's kind of warranted for the amount of content you get... I see it almost as an answer to people complaining about publishers like Rising Star releasing games like Akai Katana and DoDonPachi Resurrection for 30-40 EUR on disc in the West, saying that they should have been 9,99 download titles instead, because they only feature 6-7 stages (for the record, I strongly disagree with this complaint). But that still makes it tough to recommend for simply trying it out, unless you can get it for very little in a sale.

In the end, I honestly think you'll get more out of this game if you're already a fan of Japanese scrolling 2D shooters and/or the Darius series, as it's a referential and super refined celebration of the genre, in its essence. And if you are, it offers a lifetime of content to discover, distill and master (with the mastery taking up the largest chunk of that time).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I feel like giving it a blind shot on account of our tastes and opinions usually overlapping a lot around here. But it is indeed a bit pricey, so I think I'll wait for a sale.

Would you say it's the best shoot 'em up on the PS4, or are there others that you would recommend over this one? I tried Raiden V recently and didn't really get on with it...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

You've got a heart of gold, etc. I probably put twenty hours into Demon's before I beat the Phalanx, no kidding. It was my first Souls game and I was blown away by it. Once I got some momentum, I was hooked for life.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 10:47 am I feel like giving it a blind shot on account of our tastes and opinions usually overlapping a lot around here. But it is indeed a bit pricey, so I think I'll wait for a sale.

Would you say it's the best shoot 'em up on the PS4, or are there others that you would recommend over this one? I tried Raiden V recently and didn't really get on with it...
As far as I can see, it's between Darius Burst CS and 1996's Battle Garegga, as re-released by M2. That one is a monumental game, but again not really a gateway of sorts and it's a Japan-only release, so out of the two I would recommend Darius

I haven't played Raiden V myself, so I can't say a sensible thing about it, but bar part III they're usually fun and easy to pick up for newcomers to the genre.

Looking into the PS4 2D shooter library, I would try out Caladrius Blaze and Astebreed myself, but I haven't played them and I don't own a PS4 (yet), so I'm afraid I'm not the biggest help for further recommendations. If you have a working PS3 or Xbox 360, I would strongly recommend G.rev's Under Defeat HD. Deathsmiles on the 360 is excellent for newcomers as well, if you can get past the loli main characters.
Stanshall wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 11:33 am You've got a heart of gold, etc. I probably put twenty hours into Demon's before I beat the Phalanx, no kidding. It was my first Souls game and I was blown away by it. Once I got some momentum, I was hooked for life.
Thanks for making me feel less bad about those 6 hours spent on the opening section LOL. I guess I was helped by my modest experience with Dark Souls, so I had a bit of a feel for the combat already.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Stanshall wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 11:33 am You've got a heart of gold, etc. I probably put twenty hours into Demon's before I beat the Phalanx, no kidding. It was my first Souls game and I was blown away by it. Once I got some momentum, I was hooked for life.
I've often wondered if my love for the game is as a result of a kind of Stockholm Syndrome engendered by those first 12 hours.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Astebreed looks fun at first glance! I'll look a bit more into it, but the price point is a lot more attractive, for starters.

I do have both a PS3 and Xbox 360 in perfect working conditions, but the 360 controller stick deadzone issue as well as the general poor ergonomic quality of the DS3 make these consoles rather ill-suited for hyper precise challenging 2D titles such as these. To me, at least. I'd much prefer playing this type of thing with a GameCube controller or DS4 in hand.

And as for the loli characters... yeah, that's gonna be a problem. Huge turn-off.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I started up a new run of Okamiden after finishing Okami HD lately. Felt like I still wanted more. Still pretty fun. I've always been pretty impressed how well they managed to bring the Okami experience over to the DS, as limited as it is. It eats through the DS battery pretty quickly though.

Also started playing through Metal Gear Rising again too, which I picked up at the same time as Vanquish. It's been a long time since I last played it. I'm a bit rusty but it's still fun as hell. The PC version has some weird quirks though. This version lets you keep cutting up stuff way longer than the 360 version does. Once you get to about 1000 pieces though, the UI disappears and it stops counting. It just lets you keep going for as long as you feel brave enough that you won't crash the game. One day I might try doing that on purpose. Another quirk is less entertaining. Turns out the game has a bug if you set the game to 1920x1080 resolution and run the game through HDMI. For some reason it locks the game to 24Hz. Guess there's some protocol that makes it think it's a film or something. Luckily there's a little program out there someone has made that fixes it.

Also been playing a bit of Overgrowth. I picked this up in a bundle ages ago when it was still in Early Access, and forgot about it until recently. It's an interesting game. Got a cool, odd feeling to it, with its slightly disturbing characters of anthropomorphic yet realistic looking animal creatures. It also has a very unique fighting system, where you have a semi-auto attack that changes depending on the direction you're pointing the stick. It's also pretty brutal too. Fights usually last a very short amount of time, most weapons are a one-hit kill, and there's lots of blood and hilarious ragdoll physics.

The game is far from the most polished thing though. It doesn't run very well, despite not being technically demanding at all in terms of graphical fidelity. It also has near constant screen-tearing too, even when v-sync is turned on. The UI is pretty bare bones, and it doesn't even have controller support in the menus. I also got stuck on some level that didn't seem like it was the best thought out thing. It's more of a platforming level than a fighting one, and it looks like I need to jump off a wall run section on to some other platform, but it just doesn't seem to work, and I'm not sure what I'm even supposed to be aiming at.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Bloodborne.

I feel like I've been in a funk with gaming for the last 6 months but holy shit has Bloodborne got its hooks into me. I bounced off it hard after trying to play it straight after Dark Souls 3 but glad I've given it another shot. Today is my first day back at work and all I can think about is getting home and playing it, I'm pretty sure I was dreaming about it last night, it's mad.

I've managed to take out the Cleric, Father Gascoine, Vicar Amelia, The Witches and Darkbeast Paarl without much difficulty but I get the feeling that I'm away to fight a tough boss. I've reached some woods with some snake monsters that are just adding to the suspense. I'm loving it.