Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by James »

Excellent that a bit of distance has helped you enjoy the game. I genuinely can't wait to replay Bloodborne, but am going to leave it as long as I can before diving in.

That game! <3
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

A lot of Hollow Knight.

It's a game that seemed to be a favourite amongst those who played it, just very few played it.

I love it. The art style, the gameplay, it's the whole package. Feel bad about leaving it this long.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Having a bit of a GameCube evening :P .

Started off with F-Zero GX, which is great although I still struggle with what seems like a massive difficulty spike in the Shapphire Cup, Mute City (Serial Gaps) and lose all my lives every time :shock: .

Played some Ikaruga - solid. Wish I was better at it or had the inclination to keep pushing on with it. There's just so much going on a nd having almost no experience with bullet hell's its all a bit turbo for me :lol: .

Finally I'm playing some Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, which I'm settling into nicely.

We're in the process of buying our first house, we're at the offer stage, so it's extremely stressful and conflicting, so being able to play some retro stuff and mess about is very soothing.
CharlotteDoomSlayer

Post by CharlotteDoomSlayer »

Been alternating between Dark Souls 2 and Classic Doom on the xbox, then Indigo Prophecy on ps4 when i feel like gaming in the living room. It’s been brilliant!

Also finished Max Payne on the ps4 recently and i find it holds up remarkably well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started Dark Souls 3 and very much enjoying it so far. Only just left Firelink Shrine, so a long way to go!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Started Fable: The Lost Chapters two nights ago. The art style still holds up after all these years, and while the game isn't as massively complicated as future RPGs would get, there's still enough there for a charming, fun romp. Really liking it so far, even if it's somewhat "basic" compared to today's games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: January 7th, 2018, 4:14 pm Started Fable: The Lost Chapters two nights ago. The art style still holds up after all these years, and while the game isn't as massively complicated as future RPGs would get, there's still enough there for a charming, fun romp. Really liking it so far, even if it's somewhat "basic" compared to today's games.
Fable 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time. I loved it so much, and despite Fable 3 being a bit of a misstep in my opinion, the thought that there may one day be a proper Fable 4 is one of the only reasons I'd consider getting an Xbox again.
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Currently playing FTL (Faster Than Light) on the PC. Heard good things about this for a long time but never really understood the appeal from the screenshots.

Suffice to say, I'm pretty hooked and now totally get it!

Anyone else played it?
Suits

Post by Suits »

nickturner13 wrote: January 7th, 2018, 5:55 pm Currently playing FTL (Faster Than Light) on the PC. Heard good things about this for a long time but never really understood the appeal from the screenshots.

Anyone else played it?
Man, I’ve put some hours into this :lol: .

Beaten it only once mind, as it can be criminally harsh. Managed to unlock quite a few of the ships and generally had a wonderful time with it.

Not played it for years and years though, so I suspect there’s quite a few additions to it now.

I even messed with the mods for it, there were some wicked Star Wars skins for it.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Like Suits I played it quite a bit and only beat it once, even on easy. A playthrough is just short enough that I would attempt a full run from the start each time I booted it up.

Balancing staying safe with the need to take risks to improve the ship usually means my runs ended either halfway because I got cocky or decimated in the final battle.

Great game though, the moment to moment decision making and battles feel fantastic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I played that loads on ipad a few years back. Really good game. I never managed to complete it but I'd usually get one or two stages from the end before having my entire crew wiped out. The thing I always struggled with was when the enemy warped aboard your ship, could never manage to control that properly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Played a bit of Overcooked with my eldest over the weekend (first time I played it, bought especially to play with him). It was a lot of fun, but I genuinely had to work hard on not getting irritated with him for not working efficiently :oops: :lol:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Last night I tried out Skyrim VR. I say 'tried out' rather than started, because I don't know if I'll commit a lot of time to the game. I had somehow convinced myself that I'd be wandering through incredibly detailed snowy forests rather than what looks like a Minecraft role playing server. I joke, it's not as bad as that but will take a bit of getting used to. I've only got as far as Riverwood, so haven't really done anything yet. As far as my character's motivation goes, I was hoping to hunt down the officer who sentenced me to death in Helgen, but it looks like they were killed during the escape already. :?

I've also been playing a lot of The Long Dark survival mode. It's great, but I may have to dial back a bit on this as the only real goal is to survive as long as possible. And after the initial thrill, as your game goes on it gets easier as you're getting better clothes, learning to hunt etc. There is still the walking sim aspect, which is gorgeous, but once you get the gameplay loop down, ie don't freeze to death, don't starve and don't get eaten, you need to set your own goals, I think. And I've been plagued with this weird gaming indecision (within some games) as to what to do next, lately.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is the story mode for The Long Dark complete yet? As in all episodes released?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

No, only 2 out of 5.

They seem like a great studio, but I'd be concerned as to where the money is going to come from for the remaining three episodes. They're at the point now where the bulk of new purchases will come from sales, and 7 or eight bucks for the game on PC seems like it won't go far. Hopefully they have budgeted for the remaining episodes.

And if you are waiting for story mode to be complete, the first two episodes had their issues. On PS4, the number of people who got the trophy for finishing episode 2 was very small.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

nickturner13 wrote: January 7th, 2018, 5:55 pm Currently playing FTL (Faster Than Light) on the PC. Heard good things about this for a long time but never really understood the appeal from the screenshots.

Anyone else played it?
FTL is great, so stressful and addicting. I bought the soundtrack as well, it's such a well done little game. Really nails the (pun) atmosphere.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: January 8th, 2018, 3:41 pm No, only 2 out of 5.

They seem like a great studio, but I'd be concerned as to where the money is going to come from for the remaining three episodes. They're at the point now where the bulk of new purchases will come from sales, and 7 or eight bucks for the game on PC seems like it won't go far. Hopefully they have budgeted for the remaining episodes.

And if you are waiting for story mode to be complete, the first two episodes had their issues. On PS4, the number of people who got the trophy for finishing episode 2 was very small.
Huh, that's interesting. Yeah to be honest I had a look at the game, saw it wasn't 'finished' and thought I'll check back later. I read a fair few reviews, really spanning the breadth of critical acclaim (or not, in some cases) and thought the game looked quite interesting. I read the story mode really acted as not much more than a tutorial for survival mode. I think I'd be interested for around £7-8 on PS4, which is a terrible thing to say I know, but...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: January 8th, 2018, 10:02 am Played a bit of Overcooked with my eldest over the weekend (first time I played it, bought especially to play with him). It was a lot of fun, but I genuinely had to work hard on not getting irritated with him for not working efficiently :oops: :lol:
:lol: man, we had some friends down a few months ago and we played quite a bit of this four player.

My wife isn’t really a gamer, neither is my mates Mrs but the girls got into this much more than we did.

Constantly asking to play it, “Let’s play the Cooking game.” :lol: .

It gets to a certain point then gets seriously hard, where I was starting to feel like the four players was actually slowing us down. World 4 is solid, like real hard. We were trying to at least get 2 stars per level then move on but after even 2 stars seemed impossible.

Very good game, we enjoyed it a lot.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Started I am Setsuna , it's a game I've been wanting to play for awhile since it borrows gameplay from Chrono Trigger and I always wanted to see if I would click with that without having to play the game, also the story is basically FFX but without the worst protagonist in the history of RPGs so that's another plus because I like the basic setup in that game. So far so good, nothing has blown me away so far but nothing annoyed me either, the one thing I do have issue with is the monster designs which are way too silly for the plot of this game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Todinho wrote: January 8th, 2018, 8:38 pm the one thing I do have issue with is the monster designs which are way too silly for the plot of this game.
That sounds like pretty much every JRPG ever to me! :D